PDA

View Full Version : High output alternators

Jim311
08-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I want something that will put out some serious power for when I get a winch. Mine right now isn't putting out enough power.. at idle it actually throws a code. So where can I pick up an alternator that will really put out?

Oh, and not one from a 5.9 or anything. I want more powah.

Zero
08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Just a thought, because I'm sure you could find something cheaper, but what about those Mean-Green alternators? Their website states "300% more than stock" but I've read somewhere that its 200-amp? Seems kindof shady to not put the amperage spec on the product info page.

http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html

Or you could try Powermaster

Doubt theres an alternator out there than can keep up with the 450+ amps at full load for a winch, but any little bit exta helps.

TrojanMan
08-20-2005, 10:54 PM
You can just go to advance auto parts. They have stock sized, some a little more powerful, and some that are like 2x powerful. Plus you get a core. If you don't want to go to the yard, do that. Best part is though, they have lifetime warranties.

servouxh
08-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I got a 205A alternator off of Ebay a while back. Its some place that basically remanufactures and rewindes them for more output. It was like $150 or so. Not bad considering the mean green is like $300 or something. But not great since the 5.9 Alternator is about 130A and you can get one of those for $40 from a junk yard.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
all your gonna be powering is the winch right? no excessive lighting, stereo, etc etc? a stock alt from a dodge or 5.9 ZJ should be sufficient.

Jim311
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
all your gonna be powering is the winch right? no excessive lighting, stereo, etc etc? a stock alt from a dodge or 5.9 ZJ should be sufficient.

With the lights and AC on idling in traffic the 136 amp alternator I have struggles to keep up sometimes. Much less when I'm running two 130 watt lights, rock lights, a stereo, and a winch. I'm not so much concerned about the winch as I am about all my lights, AC, and stereo. All of them pull decent amounts of power.

norcaljr
08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
I got a 205A alternator off of Ebay a while back. Its some place that basically remanufactures and rewindes them for more output. It was like $150 or so. Not bad considering the mean green is like $300 or something. But not great since the 5.9 Alternator is about 130A and you can get one of those for $40 from a junk yard.

I have one of the 205 amp ones off ebay too. Works great and have not had any problems with it.

Screw getting a alt from a junk yard... I try'd that and it ended up being a POS. Junk yard stuff is good for somethings, others... not so much.

zjeepin
08-22-2005, 05:27 PM

With the lights and AC on idling in traffic the 136 amp alternator I have struggles to keep up sometimes. Much less when I'm running two 130 watt lights, rock lights, a stereo, and a winch. I'm not so much concerned about the winch as I am about all my lights, AC, and stereo. All of them pull decent amounts of power.

dats alotta chit mang, i can see it now, zj rollin thru the woods lookin like a glowbug with la cucaracha for a mating call. rock out

Jim311
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM

dats alotta chit mang, i can see it now, zj rollin thru the woods lookin like a glowbug with la cucaracha for a mating call. rock out

With my cock out

zjeepin
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
i usually leave that part out... :butthead:

TrojanMan
09-06-2005, 03:19 AM
will the 5.9 alt bolt into my 4.0 block?

Mtn WJ
09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Not sure if the Dodge 5.9 alt will but my 01 WJ with a 4.0 has a factory 130 amp alternator that should fit.

Deltron
09-09-2005, 09:23 PM
A buddy had that mean green and always complained about how loud it was. I never noticed it too much but occasionally you could hear it buzzin away. as for the performance im not real sure because he never did get a winch and ultimately sold the zj. peace
-Dave

AprilzWarrior
09-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Not sure if the Dodge 5.9 alt will but my 01 WJ with a 4.0 has a factory 130 amp alternator that should fit.

Dodge Alts do bolt right up to a ZJ... I know this for a fact.

TrojanMan
09-10-2005, 05:29 PM
For anybody who searches and needs to know, yes the 5.9 alt will fit.

Mtn WJ
09-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Perhaps they are the same alternator as my 4.0 130amp. Thats good information.

MoonWorks
09-21-2005, 02:49 AM
I want something that will put out some serious power for when I get a winch. Mine right now isn't putting out enough power.. at idle it actually throws a code. So where can I pick up an alternator that will really put out?

Oh, and not one from a 5.9 or anything. I want more powah.

I also my alt. off of e-bay a year or two ago. I believe mine was 160 amps and was around the same price as the ones that you would get from napa and so forth. It still came with like a 2-3 year replacement warranty. If it last that long...by the time it does go bad I'll want something else anyway. I also have 2 large aux. lights, fairly large stereo system and feel as if I have plenty of power to run a winch will be added...one day.

doyll
09-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Here's two related posts about alternator upgrades with oem models.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172316
Both by same guy, but one has pics.

Good Luck!

Sudz
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
what about those Mean-Green alternators? Their website states "300% more than stock" but I've read somewhere that its 200-amp? Seems kindof shady to not put the amperage spec on the product info page.

i've emailed them a few times to get a straight answer on the output - no reply - that sez it all...

zj-monster
12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey guys, I know this thread is kinda old but I just installed the 136 amp alternator in my ZJ & it works like a charm. So if anyone else out there is considering this option then just go for it.

I scored mine from the junkyard for $40. I changed out the pullys and a 'lil plastic clip and slapped it on. Just knowing I have about 46 more amps in my ZJ is just piece of mind for me.

Just make sure you pay attention to the numbers. The junkman handed me an alt with Part Number 56027912. His computer listed this alt as a 136 amp. However after carefull research, I knew this info to be wrong. That alt was the 117 amp.

Do make sure you pick up the right amp, it's Part Number 56027913. It bolts right up to the 4.0 with no effort at all.

Here is a link to Nate's website with a write-up just for the ZJ.

http://www.98jeepzj.com/tech/alternatorupgrade.html