PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions?? AC Problems

jdoom
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
So a while ago I was driving to beaver lake for a vacation and my engine started smoking, smoke was coming up out of the hood everywhere. I pull over and take a look and my belt is broke. Luckily a good samaritan drove me to the nearest town to buy a belt and then took me back. I replaced the belt and the idler pulley. The idler pulleys grooves were shredded and melted so I simply assumed it seized up thus causing all of the smoke and then shredding the belt. I take off down the road and i have no AC. It will blow, but its not cold at all. I just had the system recharged at the beginning of the summer and i have had no leaks so i know its not the freon. I say fuck it and go on.

When i got back i took a closer look at everything and see that my clutch on my compressor was toast. I didn't feel like changing it so i've been w/o ac for a while. Today i finally got around to changing the clutch. I get the new one on and the belt rerouted. I turn it on and everything runs fine. I turn on the AC and it starts smoking like crazy so i immediately turned the AC off and the smoking stops. This makes me wander if there is something wrong w/ the compressor. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long story.

jdoom
08-22-2005, 12:48 AM
So anybody have any idea what else could be wrong?

ChipZJ
08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
My guess is that the A/C compressor is bad.. But I would also try another clutch. I did an install last week on a semi. I had to put on three clutches. You would never think that they would come bad from the factory. But they do. Good luck with your problem