PDA

View Full Version : cheap brake upgrade

violatedppl
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
I am having trouble with the brakes on my ZJ and I would like to know if anyone here has had success with hopefully cheap and pretty easy brake upgrades. I dont mind spending a little money to stop a little quicker but Im not looking to stop faster my loosing wight through my wallet.

Michael
08-17-2005, 05:52 PM
After i lifted mine, and put heavy 31 inch mudders on, my braking power diminished, so i put on new rotors and some performance frictions pads, and it helped a lot.

violatedppl
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
just a quick ? what brand of rotors did you put on, and also what pads did you use. I just changed the pads a few weeks ago and I have already noticed a steep decline in braking ability.

WJman
08-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Deopends on what you consider cheap. You can do stillen pads and rotors for about $500 for all corners and it makes a world of difference.

Swamp boy
08-19-2005, 05:12 AM
If you dont already have 4 wheel disk you can go to the bone yard and snatch the disks off another ZJ or maybe a WJ.. Ten you can get some hawk pads and that would help a ton...

For the record ..The brakes for the Dana 35 and the dana 44 are the same .. Backing plate and everything...

dasVettemeister
08-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Also be aware rotors (of the same size) are not going to make as big a difference as pads. In fact, rotors will make very little difference in braking effectiveness when using the exact same pads. The drilled/slotted ones will help a LITTLE during long/heavy braking applications. The best thing you can do is use a good aggressive set of pads and it will make all the difference in the world. Unfortunately aggressive pads tend to eat up rotors very quickly. Just my 2 cents. :smt002

nate
08-19-2005, 07:01 AM
The brakes on my Jeep were never awesome, but they still aren't too bad. They can just about lock up 36" TSLs, so that's good enough for me. I just have regular Napa pads

violatedppl
08-21-2005, 12:22 AM
so in theory I can get the brake set up off of a truck with 44's and put them on mine.

Swamp boy
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
I dont know about just any old 44 but A TJ 44 or ZJ 44 will work for sure...

Easiest to find a set of Disks on a wrecked ZJ..