PDA

View Full Version : Leaky axle seal

zjmike4
08-16-2005, 12:03 AM
My drivers rear d35c axle is leaking fluid and I can smell the WONDERFUL smell of it burning on the brakes occasionally. I keep checking the fluid level, and its only going down slowly, and I keep topping it off. So has anyone taken care of this, and do you have to replace bearings when you do the outer seal? Someone has suggested using high temp RTV somewhere inside of the brake drum instead of pulling everything out and having to replace the bearings, but he did that on a 44, so I don't know if it would work.

LouisianaZJ
08-16-2005, 12:17 AM
yeah, you will need new bearings and seals on that one side

pop the cover, remove c clips, remove axle, replace bearings and seals

i dont know how the 35 is setp, but the bearings/seals are probably pressed on the axle shaft

JpRngr
08-16-2005, 12:50 AM
yeah, you will need new bearings and seals on that one side

pop the cover, remove c clips, remove axle, replace bearings and seals

i dont know how the 35 is setp, but the bearings/seals are probably pressed on the axle shaft

C-clip axles have the bearings and seals pressed into the housing(will need slide hammer to pull the bearings). If the bearings were pressed onto the shaft, you would then be able to have a retainer on the shaft also, so you wouldn't need the c-clips to hold the axle in.

Corey

nate
08-16-2005, 07:21 AM
You could just replace the seal and not replace the bearing.

JpRngr
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
You could just replace the seal and not replace the bearing.

You could, but you more than likely will continue to have problems in the future. Generally, wear or damage to the bearing allows the shaft to move more than it's supposed to, wears out the seal.

Corey

nate
08-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah. I'd take a look at the bearing and see, just me though.

The seals were leaking on my D70, bearings were fine even with 150,000 miles on them. New seals. All is well.

sevenslats
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
get that fixed. lube of any type on brakes is bad.

zjmike4
08-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah I figured the brakes on that side aren't working anyway. I thought that the seal is behind the bearing and by taking them out to get to the seal they are usually damaged anyway? I want to only do this once.

JpRngr
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
The seal is outside of the bearing, so you could replace it without pulling the bearing.

Corey

zjmike4
08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
So all I need to do is pull the c-clip, slide the axle out, and replace the seal? I'm straped for time right now and would prefer just to get it to the point that it's driveable w/out filling the diff all the time.

Mike

JpRngr
08-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Yes, you could do that if needed. Just make sure to thoroughly check the bearing and shaft for visible wear or other problems.

Corey

zjmike4
08-18-2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys, the shaft was fine and so was the bearing, just popped in the new seal and its good to go after I put in new brakes tomorrow.

Mike