PDA

View Full Version : Best Steering setups - D60

MassZJ
08-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Looking for input on what the best steering setups people recommend for a full width D6o under a ZJ, coil sprung, LA's, and H1 wheels. I am leaning away from heims as it will be run on road still. I am looking at WFO hi steer arms to clear the H1 wheels, but not sure if a double arm will work with my setup. Also I am planning on running hydro assist to help keep the steering box from pulling out. TIA

AprilzWarrior
08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Everything WFO does is beef... they are not far from me and Trevor is a cool dude too.

AW

Kraqa
08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
think about the wagoneer stearing box. WAY cheeper then any aftermarket one and if its 80 or newer it will botl right up to your stock stearing pump. it also has a 4th mountign hole for added strength.

I run one and its freekin sweet. i don't need hydro assyst to move the tires. but i'm doing it anyways.

If you run high steer arms you can peice together a beefy steering out of stock 1 ton truck TRE's. i'm not talking about so called "1 ton" steering thats floating around. i got my hands on a moog catalog (the 3" thick ones frm the autoparts store) and you can get TRE's with 1-1/8" shank's. Realisticly you could go with the 1" shanks. Run a stear arm on the drivers side that lets you run a drag link to the arm and a tie rod to the.

If you got a double arm the you could run your Ram on the back side of the axle.

just a few things to think about.

MassZJ
08-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Jerod, thanks for the heads up. Everyone I have talked to about WFO has said the same thing about their product.
Kraqa, I already have a PSC box and pump and would like to mount the ram behind the axle but I am posting this because I dont know if it will work with the coils and shocks. I dont know anyone that has done it yet on a ZJ, hence why I am posting here. I think the PSC box will be fine for alittle while, but would like the added strength of hydro assist when running 38+ tires in the tough stuff. :yawinkle:

JpRngr
08-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I believe Zebra had it's TR behind the knuckles on his HP D60. Might search here and NAGCA for pics.

Corey

MassZJ
09-14-2005, 08:16 PM
anyone else have any input on this? :partyman:

Kraqa
09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
i dont' know if i mentioned this in my previouse post but OTT does lots of custom work for steering. they coudl build you pritty much what ever highsteer arms you woudl want.

MassZJ
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
i tried getting ahold of OTT a few months ago and never could get anyone to talk to me...

Kraqa
09-14-2005, 11:08 PM
weird, i get them everytime. Dont' bother leaving a msg tho. they will never call you back. there are only a couple of guys that run that shop and IIRC they also do the machining so there very busy.

crawlin' zj
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Mass ZJ,

Getting the jeep back together i see. I assume you are still just bolting this axle up to your existing clayton longarm. If this is the case then a behind the axle will not work with this radius arm setup. What i did since i wasn't sure if i would be running it at all on the road was get a set of poison spyder high steer arms. These are sweat for two reasons: 1) They come in chevy tie-rod tapered holes or straight heim hole versions 2) They have multiple holes drilled along the arm allowing you to customize your setup.

What i ended up doing was a straight tierod with the draglink joining the tierod at the passenger side tierod end. Since you have mulitple mounting locations on the arms you can a) clear any coil buckets, swaybar links, etc that are in the way and b) customize your turning radius making sure you end the steering box cycle right as you hit the stops.

Do you already have a tie-rod draglink made up? If not i am getting rid of my setup because i'm going full hydro with this next jeep. I have a double sleeved rockrod setup (super beefy) by Rockstomper.com which i used on my 95 ZJ w/ 79 Ford HP Dana 60 and the P.S. arms, may even sell the arms if you want them. I was running a J20 box and about 10" lift but the rods have plenty of adjustment. If you're interested shoot me an email: craig.moore@uconn.edu.

BTW, thanks again for the tires and wheels. They look great on my girlfriends jeep and did awesome at Paragon over the summer! Got them on just in time!

steves88vb
10-13-2005, 06:02 PM
check out shakerbuilt.com his rep sounds pretty good

MassZJ
10-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Craig, I wish I had known sooner. I ended up getting the WFO arms, TR, and DL a few weeks ago. Glad those tires worked out for you. What are you building now???

ptownTSI
12-14-2005, 04:32 AM
look i'm doing a search :)

since i dont have leaf springs, do i need hi-steer arms or should i just run "1 ton TRE's" with a 1" shank and some 1.5" .250 wall dom tube for the tie rod.

oh, i want to run hydro assist as well. searching the local yards for a j20 box as we speak.