PDA

View Full Version : Need desperate help! 242 problems, can't figure out what.

robbieosterman59
08-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Cross posted at JeepsUnlimited as well as Nagca ... :

Okay,

I put in a 242, swapped the input shaft etc and bolted it all up. For some odd reason now the linkage won't move very much at all (maybe 5 - 10 CM). It seems to be in 2wd as the linkage bar on the transfer case is closest to the transfer case.

So, I turned the car on and it made a horrid sound in park, reverse, neutral, and drive. It sounded like a roller-coaster chain going around. I would give it gas and it would intensify, but sometimes if I put the transmission in neutral or reverse it'll make the roller-coaster chain noise stop. While it was in drive, if I gave it a considerable amount of gas somtimes it would either want to stall the engine or it would spin the output shaft for the rear driveshaft.

Also, if I go under the car while the noise is on, I'll move the linkage bar forward a few centimeters (toward the front of the car) and it'll quiet the noise considerably.

I have video of this but nowhere to host it, so if anyone thinks they can help me diagnose this problem, post your email.

Thanks a ton,
Robbie

Jim311
08-15-2005, 07:30 AM
First of all, you shouldn't have tried to DRIVE or give it any gas when its making noise like that.. that's fuckin dumb! Are you sure your linkage is adjusted properly?

OverkillZJ
08-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Robbie - I'm afraid to say you might be an idiot. When having such grinding gear problems, how do you know moving that linkage won't caue the jeep to DRIVE OVER YOU? It sounds like the tcase is stuck between mods. Put the vehicle in nuetral, chock the wheels, turn it off, and get under there with a BFH to ensure the mode your placing the tcase in. Just remove the linkage for now and shift it manually to eliminate possibilities.

This isn't quite newbie tech... but it's definately not about building 60's either, moving the thread.

BigDaveZJ
08-15-2005, 09:55 AM
The noise you're hearing is your t-case not being in gear already. Have you ever re-assembled a t-case before??? You say you swapped input shafts, which means a complete teardown of the case. My money says you fucked something up when you put it back together.

Oh yeah, and stop being a dumbass and trying to kill yourself by trying to get the rig in gear while you're under it.

robbieosterman59
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind that there are no driveshafts connected making it impossible for the vehicle to run over me, believe me, I'm smarter than that. Thanks for the kind remarks.

ATL ZJ
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
I had one do that on me once. I removed the t-case from the vehicle, and it shifted fine. Put it back in and it worked fine. Hit the bottom of the case with a rubber mallet hard and then make sure input shaft is seated over the tranny output shaft all the way. If you still have problems, pull it out and crack it open I guess.

zjeepin
08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
First of all i second all the guys in flaming you for trying to move the shifter while its making that noise :toimonst: .

Now: I had a similar problem after changing cases. the damn thing woudn't shift at all from where it was when i installed it. Check the sensor that is right beside the shifter. mine had gone bad, allowing the little ball thingy on it to protrude too far out, thus becoming a lynch pin on the shift rail not allowing it to move, new sensor, tcase shifts correctly.

another thing to check is that you don't have the shifter on the case installed backwards or upside down, it should be pointing down and forward at about 45deg in 2wd.

I've never torn into one of these cases so i have no idea what you could have screwed up inside but it really sounds like your case is stuck between shift detents.