PDA

View Full Version : Decided What To Do Suspension Wise

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 12:50 AM
I've gone and made up a list of the parts I'm going to buy to lift my Jeep. Gonna gather the parts for my lift and axle swaps over the winter then toss it all in the spring time.
I've decided on this:
Rock Krawler 7" Long Arm System w/shocks
2" Spacer Lift

Giving me a total of 9" worth of lift. My questions concerning that are, steering? what modifications do I need to make? I've looked at Rock Krawler's HD cross over steering but it's for 7-8" of lift. What are my choices with 9"? I want to have no worries about bump steer or death wobble.
Also will the shock that come with the kit get maxed out with the extra 2" provided by the spacer lift?

The rest of the stuff put on with the lift are:
SYE
CV Driveshaft
Dana 44 Front
Ford 8.8" Rear
Of course the axles witll built, locked and geared but that's another thread.

My last question has to do with tires and fitting them under the ZJ.
I'd like to run 38X14.50R16 tires (overall dia is 37.72"), with the 9" of lift and major fender trimming can I stuff these big meats under my ZJ?

Give me any input you can.

LouisianaZJ
08-14-2005, 01:24 AM
setup hi steer on the the front axle

i think it could be done with 7" of lift, rather than 9"

plab on snapping 44 stuff like pixy sticks :finga: bring 20-30 spares

the 8.8 will probably hold up, but something a little wider than 60"WMS would probably work better to clear the tires

Kraqa
08-14-2005, 02:02 AM
with tires that size you will have to run heavy offset rims or wider axles. 9" of lift is ludicris. especially with the alxe' syoru planning on using. 7" is plenty for 38's.

plan on new drive shafts too. and a SYE.

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Alright, 7" of lift then, since 38s can be done with it.
I know I'll need some new drive shafts.

So what can I run for wider strong axles? D60s?

OverkillZJ
08-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Glad your not going with 9" of lift, that's insane. I'm at MAYBE 5" and running 35's.

Why RK though?

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Heard good things about RK and besides I can get the 7" LA kit with shocks for $2800 through a local shop (that's canadian bucks too).

BigDaveZJ
08-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Heard good things about RK

From where? RK's website???

RK = teh suck.

9" of lift = teh suck

Combine the two = teh ultimate suck

Do you realize how freaking tall your rig is gonna be? And unless you go with full width axles, how easy it's going to be to just lay the thing on it side? Have you even thought about any sort of cage yet? What are the current specs on your rig right now? Something tells me you're going to be getting in WAAAAY over your head.

ATL ZJ
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Trim about 3" off your fenders and cut out all the inner fenderwell crap and then decide how much lift you need.

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Heard good things about RK

From where? RK's website???

RK = teh suck.

9" of lift = teh suck

Combine the two = teh ultimate suck

Do you realize how freaking tall your rig is gonna be? And unless you go with full width axles, how easy it's going to be to just lay the thing on it side? Have you even thought about any sort of cage yet? What are the current specs on your rig right now? Something tells me you're going to be getting in WAAAAY over your head.

I don't go by what a web site says about a product. I've talked to ppl who've run the stuff and like it.
I realize how tall it's gonna be. I have no problems going down to 7" of lift or running full width axles. A cage is planned too, I wouldn't think about doing any sort of serious wheeling without a cage.
What are the specs on my rig now, 2" spacer lift and 30s, otherwise it's stock.

I'm trying to learn, this is why I made this thread so I can learn about the proper stuff and way to lift my rig.

BigDaveZJ
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
If you're just at 2" and 30's now, I'd suggest another step before going as big as you're planning. Go to 4.5" and 33's or something like that. With only 30's right now, you haven't even gotten a taste of what a rig on 38's can handle. Make sure you like the hardcore stuff.

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 06:33 PM
I've taken my cousin's 4.5" LA, 33'd TJ on some trails more then once.

If I go with a 4.5" though, can I still upgrade that to a 7" later?

I want to build this rig right. Not cut corners or use shit parts.

OverkillZJ
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I want to build this rig right. Not cut corners or use shit parts.

Good, then ditch the RK.

LouisianaZJ
08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
your asking for trouble jumping from a 2" BB to a full ZJ build. i mean if you bult up that tj yourself, the zj build wold probably not be a problem, but you are going to run into so much shit , be way overbudget, and probably just give up. (assuing you are not getting a shop to do all the work...) 38's long armed and 60's is more than most people on this site even run.

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I didn't build my cousin's rig, he did. I have helped him work on it a few times and he explains a lot of stuff to me when it comes to offroading.

I want to build up something strong and able to take on any trail I can bring it to any trail I could thing of going on, kick that trails ass and then drive it back home.
So maybe you guys can help me with that?

Swamp boy
08-14-2005, 09:31 PM
There will always be a trail that will kick your ass no matter how tough you build your rig...

I second Daves suggestion on stopping somewhere in the middle..
Hell if you go 4.5 and 33's you wont need to change your axles right away and you can start saving for those 60's while you learn to wheel with the 33's...

Wheeling a grand and wheeling a TJ are two totally different things..

And if you want a good long arm kit Try Claytons or Kevins...

Oh and to answer your question yes.. If you go to 4.5 now when you are ready for 7" Just take the front springs and move them to the back and get some new front springs.. You will need long arms for anything over about 6" or so ...That is why 4.5 is a good stop.. Cause you can still do it with short arms..

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-14-2005, 09:51 PM
a bolt on lift kit for a TJ is a bird of a different feather. getting 38's to fit on a grand take extensive fab skills and alot of know how of EVERYTHING having to do with a vehicle. something tells me you don't really have this knowledge.

MaineZJ
08-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Clayton's 7"
60's
not as much fender trimming as you think
38s

http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/3301.jpg

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Looks good MaineZJ.

Alright so I should keep it small so I can learn?

Should I go Long arms? If so Clayton's kit would be my best bet. Or short arm? RE a good buy?

On 33s I'm guessing I should regear? I know my cousin's TJ blows on 33s. Would 4.56s be a good choice? I'd also like to toss a cheap locker in my rear too any advice on this? Open diffs suck.

BigDaveZJ
08-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Open diffs suck.

So does the Dana 35 rear axle you have now. I wouldn't lock the 35 personally.

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Yea, it's an idea. I would figure anything is better then nothing.

Any other input?

LouisianaZJ
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM

Any other input?
yes

www.jeepsunlimited.com

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I'd also like to toss a cheap locker in my rear too any advice on this?

use LOTS and LOTS of lube

ILikeMud
08-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Any other input?
yes

www.jeepsunlimited.com

Har har....

SuicideTireZJ
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
If you're only on a BB right now I think you'd be pleasantly surprised where a good 4.5" kit and 33's will take you. Shit, I've done trails rated an 8/10 on the Moab scale and 4/5 on the Colorado scale (or is it the other way around? oh well) on 31's open f/r.

Stepping up gradually means you acquire knowlege about your vehicle, its limits, and you also really learn how to drive. Wheeling on 38's makes everything look easy.

So this is what you do. Go grab Kevins or the RE 4.5" kit, get a super-30 kit and a 8.8 rear with a spool, and flog that sonofabitch until it's so damn dented and ugly that it's just BEGGING to be hacked up.

I guarantee you'll love it for at least 18 months and then you'll have the confidence to wheel something bigger.

Just my $.02 (which turned out to be like a buck fiddy)

gearhead313
08-26-2005, 09:18 PM
I'll vouch for NOT going 9" of lift. I was at 9.5" on 36" Iroks (measures 37") and it was fun at the mall, picked up mad bitches, but actually wheeling it (ya, i actually did that) wasn't ideal. Needless to say, its torn apart and getting done right.

my one and only pic everyone has seen 11 billyion times:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/zj%20pics/DSC01216.jpg

I of course will say RE LA's are good, but RK... there's been more bad than good.

OverkillZJ
08-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I of course will say RE LA's are good, but RK... there's been more bad than good.

:finga:

ILikeMud
09-07-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm gonna go with claytons kit and 33s for now. Learn off of that.