PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid question....

Wulf711
08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Ok I replaced my radiator on my 2K XJ, also dropped the pan and replaced the fluid and filter in the AW4. Now the question if how much fluid....

I had to cut the tranny dipstick in order to get the pan out ( I know it is a 2 piece but it got stuck) so I think it may be a little off. I have about a gallon in it now and it is not giving me the power it should and does not like to shift. I have not driven it b/c I do not want to burn it up. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gabe

Cue-Ball
08-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Gabe,

A complete fill of your AW-4 is 8.3 quarts. So you would need just over 2 gallons.

doyll
08-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Gabe

Removing radiator and transmission pan don't get all the fluid out. Torque converter, lines, maby remote cooler, and fluid in valve body, oil passages, etc in tranny are still in system. You are not doing a complete replacement fill-up.

If you can't put dipstick in right to measure it, you have a problem.

:rock:

(that's a tiny violin playing for you)

PS: if dipstick is within 1/4" of where it should be, you should be able to use it with no problen. :mrgreen:

Wulf711
08-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Well the dipstick may be off a 1/4" at the most. I understand that since I did not do a rebuild I will still have fluid in the torque converter. that alone will yield about a gallon, correct me if I am wrong. So that leaves about 4.3 quarts. I know there are some other pieces parts in the tranny that hold fluid but since I blew out the lines and the radiator is new there shouls be some amount of fluid there. I am going to add another quart of fluid, and see what I get. I think it may actually do it. If anyone has any other info that would be great. Thanks to you who replied already.

Gabe

doyll
08-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Go by what dipstick shows as full. What is it showing now?

Wulf711
08-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Last Time I checked it wasn't showing

doyll
08-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I've got ZJ with 42re. Think you have the AX5 or AX15 or something like that. Dipstick should have a 3/4" area between low and full. Fill it to middle of that area. Probably need to have engine running to check it. Don't know if it needs to be in gear or what.. Check your owner's manual. It should say how to check it.

ZJake
08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Check in neutral.

beyondhope
01-05-2006, 07:14 PM
My manual says for a regular oil/filter change you need aprox. 4 quarts/3.8 liters. I just did mine last night. Have the AW4, added just what it says and was good to go. Not sure how much your rad holds.

Cue-Ball
01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Be sure to fill it BELOW the fill line while it is cold, the fill line is for AFTER it heats up.