PDA

View Full Version : 5.2 runs funny after sitting

zjeepin
08-10-2005, 09:25 AM
So the ole daily driver 5.2 has some trouble starting after it sits for more than a day. It takes several attempts to start it and when it does it takes a few minutes to stop sputtering when i give it gas. Its like i wants to choke down. When i drive it every day it starts just fine, a tiny bit of smoke right when it starts, no biggie. It seems like it should be something simple causing it to not want to start... any ideas?

dasVettemeister
08-10-2005, 10:18 AM
The problem sounds like worn valve guides/seals allowing oil to pool in the cylinders and fouling the plugs upon startup.

zjeepin
08-11-2005, 01:13 PM
is there anything i can do that doesn't involve major engine work?

dasVettemeister
08-11-2005, 06:40 PM
is there anything i can do that doesn't involve major engine work?

If it's just the seals, they can be replaced without removing the head. It's simply a matter of using an adapter to pressurize the cylinder with an air compressor through the plug hole. Then use a valve spring compressor to remove the retainer, keepers, and spring. This will allow the replacement of the seal without pulling the head. Any competent shop can do this. It can also be done at home with the proper tools and enough mechanical aptitude. This is assuming it's just the seals and not extremely worn valve guides.