PDA

View Full Version : Front Drive Shaft-Name for Ball in Double U-Joint setup?

JeepinHank
08-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey ya'll. I took the Jeep out for a spin, and found that I have a problem with my front driveshaft. The ball between the 2 U-joints in the double cardan setup is completely shot. This is the t-case side joint on the front driveshaft. I can't figure out for the life of me what the actual name of that part is. Anyone have a clue?

My buddy looked it up on the parts database at the Jeep dealership where he works, and all it say is "yoke". Of course it has the neat exploded view, so he doesn't really need a name. I'd order it through them, but, even at his price, it's like $150.

I'm trying to source one through NAPA or one of the other auto parts stores, but I'm not coming up with anything. :( What do I tell the guy behind the counter I need?

Help?

zjeepin
08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
i recently had the same problem. The guys at napa were able to find a rebuild kit for it, came with all new parts and needle bearings for the little ball thingy. It takes a little time to get both the u joints out and then back together but it did the trick. i guess i don't know the technical term for it but it was a rebuild kit for a DC front. :partyman:

JeepinHank
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
i recently had the same problem. The guys at napa were able to find a rebuild kit for it, came with all new parts and needle bearings for the little ball thingy. It takes a little time to get both the u joints out and then back together but it did the trick. i guess i don't know the technical term for it but it was a rebuild kit for a DC front. :partyman:

On yours - was the ball itself ok? I haven't had a chance to tear into mine yet, but I'll probably do that this evening. I saw that napa sells a "replacement H yoke" (PN - PUJ 647) and a "ball seat repair kit" (PN - PUJ 617). Is that (PUJ 617) the repair kit you're referring to?

Both are a lot cheaper than $150. :smt003

TrojanMan
08-09-2005, 02:33 PM
If he has the exploded view, that means he also has a name for the part on the right hand side of the page.

nate
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
I've always called it the centering ball.

4897 484AA would be the Jeep part number, though Napa would have it as well, as well as your local driveline shop. The kit is around $20-30 if I remember correctly.

zjeepin
08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
IIRC the middle piece wasn't replaced when I did mine, just put a new bearing in it, sounds like your on the right track tho.