PDA

View Full Version : 4.7 WJ tranny question

ScottRoz
08-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I bought a 2002 WJ with 4.7 about a month ago and have been noticing that I really feel when it downshifts while coming to a stop.
This is around 5mph... it feels a bit weird to me, so I wanted to see if this is something "normal" or not. I've got another 2 months of "drivetrain warranty" and want to address this if it is a sign that something is not right. I'm not a newbie to Jeeps, but am a newbie to WJs.
I know you guys are more about mods and wheeling here, but this site seems to be best forum I've found for WJ tech, so sorry for asking about my the daily driver...

thanks in advance.

Scott
(my wheeling rig is an 88XJ)

JohnBoulderCO
08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
At 5mph??? Mine doesn't do that. It coasts to the red light with no indication of downshifting. Not sure what that would be.

bburgi
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Honestly, I have NO idea what it is, but my '00 WJ does it too. Every now and then, when slowing down it will downshift really hard.

Hasn't caused me any trouble, so I don't really worry about it.

ScottRoz
08-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Another thought is that it is when the torque converter onlocks... it feels a bit little there is a bit of extra push coming from the engine for just 1 sec or so.

On a related topic....I'm just trying to get familiar with this Jeep and was reading that it should have a 5 speed auto, with two 2nd gears, one for accelleration and one for decel. Is that right for all V8 models?

ZJake
08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Mine does that quite noticably and I've always thought
it was something with the transmission. I don't think its
the torque converter lockup because it only locks in overdrive.
It may have something to do with the TC but not the lockup,
I don't think. Mine is a ZJ though so a WJ may be diff. Sorry,
not much help. :partyman:

Grandsrus
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Torque converter on my '02HO went out at 50k. But it stalled out most of the time, among other crazy, weird things. Lately the tranny felt strange and idle was irradic, so I was told to change out the TPS. $35 at autozone.
Fixed the tranny and idle issues.
It could be the tranny sensor, my dad's 99 went on his.
Other than that I could not tell ya.
Good luck.

ScottRoz
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
That's interesting... maybe I'll see if any diagnostic codes are in the computer. I'd expect a bad to TPS to show up some way, if the computer is getting confused. If somethings shows up, it would be justification to take it back where I bought it have them check it over.

thanks...