PDA

View Full Version : UCA Mounts

nate
08-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Anyone have a problem bending the UCA mount on teh pass side? This is the 2nd axle I've done this. I'm gonna box it in, but WTF??

Also the pressed in bushing on the LCA is coming out.

I'm really not liking the whole binding thing the radius arm setup has. I'm thinking of just running 1 upper (drivers) actually.... anyone see any problems doing that?

JeepinHank
08-04-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm running a single UCA up front. That's one reason I'm kinda glad I got a vac. disco HP 30. If I ever feel the need to add the UCA on the pass side, it will be attaching to a cast mount on the axle.

One question though - with the SRC setup, is the UCA mount on the LCA boxed? My mount wasn't boxed initially, and I ended up bending it a bit when testing out the droop on the suspension. It was just enough to cause the bolt holes not to line up. I have since tied the two tabs together, so I don't think I'll be having any more problems there. Just figured I'd toss that out there as an FYI.

To answer your single UCA question... I don't see a problem with it at all.

nathaniel
08-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Only problem is the single upper rubber bushing will wear a lot faster. Rk is the only one I know that addresses this problem with somekind of boltin replacement joint. Also consider welding your tubes to the differential to prevet any possibility of twisting tubes (if they havent twisted yet). I am considering having a poly bushing manufactured to replace the rubber upper bushing. Is any one else interested in this?

nate
08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Tubes haven't twisted yet, but that is something I'm afraid of. That's why I'm thinking of running just 1 upper. What I am leary of though is something failing, like a bolt, etc. and the axle rotating around on me.

On another D30, I twisted the hell out that same pass UCA mount, this was with short arms. I boxed it in and it held up ok. The bushing kept poping out, so I put a few tacks on it. Seemed to hold up.

Anyone have tips on removing/installing the bushings? I did them quite easily with a ball joint press when the axle wasn't under the Jeep... but now it's a bit harder. Not enough room to get the press in, not much room to swing a hammer.... hmm.

phillyzj
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm running a single UCA up front. That's one reason I'm kinda glad I got a vac. disco HP 30. If I ever feel the need to add the UCA on the pass side, it will be attaching to a cast mount on the axle.

One question though - with the SRC setup, is the UCA mount on the LCA boxed? My mount wasn't boxed initially, and I ended up bending it a bit when testing out the droop on the suspension. It was just enough to cause the bolt holes not to line up. I have since tied the two tabs together, so I don't think I'll be having any more problems there. Just figured I'd toss that out there as an FYI.

To answer your single UCA question... I don't see a problem with it at all.

remember with that vac disco that there are two tubes on the pass side, one pressed into each side of that cast piece. that's my understanding at least. Though the mount is strong, you dont' want to push/pull either tube out. If you're worried, might want to weld those three pieces together.

nathaniel
08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Tubes haven't twisted yet, but that is something I'm afraid of. That's why I'm thinking of running just 1 upper. What I am leary of though is something failing, like a bolt, etc. and the axle rotating around on me.

On another D30, I twisted the hell out that same pass UCA mount, this was with short arms. I boxed it in and it held up ok. The bushing kept poping out, so I put a few tacks on it. Seemed to hold up.

Anyone have tips on removing/installing the bushings? I did them quite easily with a ball joint press when the axle wasn't under the Jeep... but now it's a bit harder. Not enough room to get the press in, not much room to swing a hammer.... hmm.

Just remove the upper and jack the body of the jeep up and set it on jackstands then pull wheel and lower axle to ground remove spring and then there is plenty of room to work

JeepinHank
08-05-2005, 02:02 PM
remember with that vac disco that there are two tubes on the pass side, one pressed into each side of that cast piece. that's my understanding at least. Though the mount is strong, you dont' want to push/pull either tube out. If you're worried, might want to weld those three pieces together.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I end up running 2 uppers. Hopefully I can get away with the single on the driver side, especially since that will pretty much eliminate the chance of twisting any of the tubes.

JeepinHank
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Nate,

As long as you check your stuff out everyonce in a while, I don't think I'd be too worried about hardware failure. You figure a 10mm Grade 10.9 metric bolt has a min. tensile strength of 150,000 psi. If shear strength is approximately 60% of tensile strength, then the shear strength of that bolt should be 90,000 psi. Reference-PBB (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/NutsandBolts/Nuts&Bolts_signed.pdf)

Now, compare that to the tensile strength of your weld... From the last spool of wire I bought - ER70S (probably the most common mig wire) has a tensile strength of 70,000 psi. Unless you want to consider the strenth of the arm / bracket itself, those are really the only two variables you've got.

I think the bolt will be able to handle whatever you throw at it. If you don't trust the welds, that may be a different story.

HTH