PDA

View Full Version : My front axle decision woe...

gearhead313
08-04-2005, 12:09 AM
so... i've been going back and forth on what axles to put under my sorry lawn orniment. I was going to just get it back on the road, hp30 and 8.8...so that was my idea for a while, so i lined the 8.8 up and just about to get into the front 30...

well, shit....i just got done checking out pics of my buddys xj on 40's and watched 4x4tv and everyone was on 39.5's or whatever and im like...why am i fawking around...

So im like, rock on, i have 2 hp60's laying here i can use with my 14b... well..... I forgot I sold them.

SO....my question is, what is the cheapest/least axle i could do in the front that wouldn't explode on 39.5" iroks. Should I just get another 60? could a 44 stay together? is there anything else i could do? does anyone have anything?? thanks my fellow mallcrawlers :partyman: :goodman:

ATL ZJ
08-04-2005, 12:44 AM
You could do a d44 with alloy shafts and CTMs, it might hold up OK.... or for about the same amount that you would spend on the new shafts/ joints alone, you could do it right the first time and run a stock 60 and end up stronger.

That said, I am running a 44 front, and I am not one to jump in and declare the 44 utterly worthless. But if you are trying to go stronger for cheaper, the 60 just seems smarter.

OverkillZJ
08-04-2005, 12:58 AM
If you're asking, I bet you know you'd regret not doing it right the first time. 40" tires with a 44 even with CTM's seems like it might be asking for it, especially with wellsville wheel spin ;)

gearhead313
08-04-2005, 01:10 AM
truth.... me + 5.2l of powa = nothing but wellsville wheelspin

DAMMIT!! why did i sell my 60's!!! :tear:

...well, i guess im on the look out.

is there a low pinion, pass drop 60 out there? might it be cheaper than the hp? ....thank god for the newb section :partyman: