PDA

View Full Version : HP30 Lockers Question

97trxuszj
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
What locker would all of you recomend for a Daily driver, in the front axle?
ARB, lockright, detroit, OX, etc... give me your personal experiance and also your opinions. I have a 242 T-case so you don't have to worry about my crappy 249, THANKS

LouisianaZJ
08-03-2005, 11:34 PM
full detroit will be the strongest , most foolproof (no busted air lines, cables, etc,) and overall the best IMHO

i have the lockright, it is ok i guess. probably not the strongest thing but it works good on and offroad

hp30 and lp30 lockers/carriers are the same btw

bburgi
08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah, a full detroit would be nice.

I have a lockright up front, and it's worked great a much as I've used it thus far.

No problems turning or anything, and it's performed well off-road.

97trxuszj
08-03-2005, 11:47 PM
you guys have no ill side effects from the street eigther? with a detroit would it drive the same as it does now would I notice the locker?

LouisianaZJ
08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
i would drive alot like it does with the lockright, but the detroit operates alot tighter so it might bind up more in tight turns and understeer more

i have a detroit in the rear and with f/r locked offroad. steering is more tedious. but when i just had the front locked up it was pretty easy to make turns

JeepinHank
08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Ditto to what's been said.

If you want the convenience of a selectable locker, go with it. If you just want traction go with the Aussie locker or the lockright.

Especially in front applications - when you've got a t-case with 2wd, you won't even know its there. You might hear some clicking when you really make a tight turn (like in a parking lot) but that's about it.

In terms of bang for your buck - I'd go with a lunchbox locker anyday.

bburgi
08-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Nope, no ill side effects. Just like Hank said, some clicking around corners, but I have to turn the radio down to hear it.

97trxuszj
08-04-2005, 02:06 AM
thnx guys I will probley end up going with a lockright, but if I have the cash should I do a detroit? in your opinion is it worth the extra dough for a DD and weekend worrior?

bburgi
08-04-2005, 02:11 AM
IMO that decision should be based on how much $$ you have and are wlling to spend, and on how harsh you are when you're wheeling your rig. Detroit will prolly be stronger, but a lockright is an awesome compromise of performance-price. Sounds like a lunchbox locker is your best bet.

Jim311
08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure I could justify 500+ dollars for parts going in a D30. Just seems wrong. You can't really go wrong with the Lockright, but avoid the Detroit lunchbox lockers. For some strange reason all of the ones I've seen would bind HARD on left turns, and when they called Detroit to ask WTF was wrong with the lockers they were told that in order to have true smooth operation they needed to convert to manual hubs.. WTF?

Cue-Ball
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Anyone of you guys with the lockrights running a 249?

LouisianaZJ
08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
a d30 detroit can be had for $400, actually i think peak might sell it to you for like $370 or something

a lockright is $250

if you were needing a new carrier for 3.73+ that is $60

basically if you were regearing i would go with the detroit for a little more, if you are not regearing stick with the lockright, it is easier to install

LouisianaZJ
08-04-2005, 11:01 AM

i would not try it. steering is useless in 4wd on the street with the lockright. ive tried it before just to see how bad it was

97trxuszj
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
yea I had a lockright when I had my 249 and it sucked trying to drive with it especially slow turns, I swapped a 242 in and still had issues so I sold the lockright and then figured out it was my tcase stupid me oh well live and learn. I might go ahead for the detroit then, sence I am regearing, and eventually this will be a trail rig only

Cue-Ball
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM

i would not try it. steering is useless in 4wd on the street with the lockright. ive tried it before just to see how bad it was

Thanks for the info, I may end up with a True Trac when I do my HP30.

ZJake
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM

x2. I have trouble driving my 249 on the street and im open front.

phillyzj
08-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I bought a used lockright for my hp30... works great offroad, no complaints at all.

on road, it's pretty noticeable making even remotely sharp turns. it might just be my particular locker was abused or something but it not only clicks, but you can feel it trying to catch in turns. this is all in 2wd too. I don't mind it, you get used to it, but i wouldn't say mine's invisible.

ScottRoz
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Call me a control freak, but I like the choice of turning or going straight...
I run an OX front and Detroit rear on my XJ. Offroad, I only lock the OX when needed. It is nice to have the choice to unlock if you need to steer around a tree or rock.
If reliability is a concern... in the worst case a strap or winch could be used if there is a problem with the locker.... but I haven't had problems getting mine to work.
I'm not sure what the current situation of OX as a company is, but ARB would be another choice or perhaps there is/will be the electric locker as a choice (a locking True-trac).

97trxuszj
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
how does the ox disengage? I have understood the engaging part by pulling a xcable but how do you get that cable to relese back

ScottRoz
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
The OX has springs inside it, so the springs are compressed when it is locked. In the event of a failure of the cable control, it would default to being unlocked. This is good... you wouldn't want to be stuck with a spool on the front.
If there is uneven pressure on the 2 sides, it will unlock shortly after you disengage the lever. During locking, if the cogs are not lined up, it does not lock up immediately, so you just hold some pressure on the lever while the tire rotates a small fraction of a rotation....then you feel it engage.
The cable is pretty thick, so it was difficult to maneuver and get set up properly, but mine has kept working without readjustment. I have heard of others complaining about the need to readjust the cable.

OverkillZJ
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
If you like rocks, and like turning on them, don't put a full locker in the front. Not unless you have a 231 and put a 2lo in so you can easily go from 4lo to 2low.

MikeyM
08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
I've heard the true-track is pretty freindly to 249s.

True?