PDA

View Full Version : yj

87yj
08-03-2005, 03:44 AM
my 87 yj has from wut im told by previous owner a 4 inch suspension lift, but wut im asking why do i have such shitty flex... :smt088

5.2Krawler
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
The springs are so stiff and at such an arch. The only way to get decent flex is to keep stock or up to 2 inch springs and put the axle under the springs instead of on top.

BigDaveZJ
08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
It's leaf springs, they don't flex as well as coils under most applications. Also, your avatar needs to be cut down in size to no more than 150 pixels wide.

vbuholzer
08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
remove the rear track bar and it will help you gain some flex

zjeepin
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
It's leaf springs, they don't flex as well as coils under most applications. Also, your avatar needs to be cut down in size to no more than 150 pixels wide.

come on dude, he's tryin to make the chick look skinny :drinkers:

zjmike4
08-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah, you have a YJ, which are infamous for no flex. To fix the problem, get a ZJ. :supz:

MendoZJ
08-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Heres my YJ with SOA stock worn out springs and 1in add a leafs, flexes pretty good I think. maybe try some new springs.
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/YJ%20Carpenteria%205-9-05/YJCarpBarrierFlexFront.jpg
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/YJ/YJRampFlexSide.jpg
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/YJ/YJVolvoFlexFront.jpg

ZJ still flexes better though :weedman:
http://www.puderproductions.net/Pictures/YJ/ZJFlexOnYJ4.jpg

KeepItCrunk
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
I had a 3.5 fabtech in my jeep. I ripped out both trac bars and ran 33's with TJ flares and some decent choppin in the fender region. She did everything i wanted, not a complaint. (other then ride quatily)

I was tlakin to a this place about yj's. Elias 4wd center. I asked him why they used trac bars on these bitch. he goes "its what jeep used to reduce wheel hop". Then my comment was "then why didnt they put the shackles in the rear of the front springs?" He knodded adn was dumbfounded... :gay: as im sure everyone else is.

Another way to gain flex on those, actually, its a rotating shackle. Like, the revolver is a sick concept, but i dont like how the axle can droop if u say, were prerunning and hit a good bump (dont prerun in short wheelbase leaf spring vehicles, unless u have no fillings and have great bladder control, even then, jsut don't). Anyways, imagine a shackle that can rotate, so when you flex, the shackle can twist and the spring contorts, instead of binding. I had all the materials to do it to my yj berfore i rolled it. sad day that was. Ive seen them before tho and they seemed to do one helluva job for what they were.

pm me and maybe ill jsut make em and send em to ya, cause im a ncie guy:)

black box renegade
02-07-2006, 01:15 AM
As a fellow YJ owner, I can tell you removing BOTH front and rear trac-bars with a stiff spring will definately help. If your springs are substantially stiff, removing both will not cause you much of a handling issue on the street. Another idea you may want to consider is the option of "revolver shackles," sold by Tera-Flex. They are a folding shackle that helps to add in suspension travel, if you've not seen them.

I'm assuming you DID remember to disconnect your sway-bar end links, right?

KeepItCrunk
02-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes, i forgot to add, you will notice no more or less body roll with the TB's removed. It actually rides like, alot alot nicer, like, very noticibly nicer. Hitting bumps in the street etc is much more, smooth, not butter, but id say a helluva lot better then with the TB's. I removed my sway bars first. I will say, prolly one of the best mods on the thing... hahaha. At very first, it feels EXTREMELY weird, but after like, 10 mins of driving around your pretty much fine. I ran w/o SB's for like, when i got the lift till i rolled it. btw, rolling had nothing to do with the removal of the sway bar, driver error and very odd circumstance. You will see awesome improvement in offroad performance, ride quality and best of allllll... DOESN'T COST SHIT!!! only a hour or 2 in the garage.:smt109