PDA

View Full Version : when you diff is louder than your stereo :-(

Michael
08-02-2005, 05:21 AM
soon, my diff will sound like a locomotive. its been whining for about 2 years. in january, i paid a mechanic $450 + $600 to replace the ring and pinion, carrier bearings, spider gears, axle bearings and seals. He said this would fix it for sure. I take it back couple days later, saying it hasn't changed at all. He says he put it together real quick, and would let me bring it in so he could take a look. He removed the axles, and the carrier and was checking it all out, and says that the spider gears are not fitting correctly into the carrier, and that the carrier needs to be replaced, along with the right axle. Since then it has gotten louder over time, and is starting to annoy the hell out of me. Feels like there might even be some play in the drivetrain the last time I took it out for a spin. Should I attempt to replace the carrier, and axle myself or put in a truetrac or something? I haven't really been able to save up much money, so I do not think I would be able to afford an 8.8. Any idea's or advice? The syptoms are that it whines most loud when going 50-80, but is slightly noticable when driving slower. At this pound, i'm hessitant to even do anything because I think that the whole damn thing might be bent. I've driven about 10,000 miles since I let the mechanic touch it, and its about 30% or so louder than it started out before I did anything to it. God do I wish I still had $1000 in my pocket now for an 8.8. :smt022

ZJake
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Drop tha turd

http://wwp.creditcard-uk.com/images/visa-credit-cards.jpg

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
...You never said what axle...

Troy
08-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Sounds to me like the housing may be bent?

LouisianaZJ
08-02-2005, 01:23 PM
what axle....

97trxuszj
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
sounds like he's talking about a rear axle sence he can't afford an 8.8 swap! is this correct?

LouisianaZJ
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
more than one rear axle out there.... :finga:

..and 1100 is an ungodly amont dumped into an open 35 or 44a

ATL ZJ
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
more than one rear axle out there.... :finga:

..and 1100 is an ungodly amont dumped into an open 35 or 44a

Damn i can get a HP 60 front for 1100...

Michael
08-11-2005, 03:52 PM
its a 35. i spent that much because i was an idiot back then, and didn't know any better. at this point, i don't know what to do other than to get another carrier, and see if that will fix it. if i did that would i have to get a new ring gear, or can i use the one from the old carrier? any ideas on what is fucked up in the first place? i don't have a digital camera so i can't get picture of the wear pattern, but it looks okay from what i've compared it to from picture of other setups.. school starts back up in a couple weeks so need to get it fixed as soon as possible as i don't want it to explode, a 20 mile commute on a steep grade is far for a bike in the icy winter. any advice is greatly appreciated.

:tease:

ATL ZJ
08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
You might could find a pull a part junkyard and locate an XJ 44 rear or an Exploder 8.8. You should be able to snag the axle for about $100 if you play your cards right. Then use the money that you have left over buy some beer to bribe a local Jeeper/ friend who can weld to set up your old brackets from the 35 onto the new axle.

TrojanMan
08-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Around here you can get an 8.8, 9", 60, 70... all for the same price - 130 bucks.

Jim311
08-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Around here you can get an 8.8, 9", 60, 70... all for the same price - 130 bucks.

Quit bragging about your junkyard

:flipoff2:

ATL ZJ
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM

Here too. The 60s and 70s are just hell to find. We did get a d60 full float rear for $85 a few weeks back though. I win :finga:

I bet he isn't looking for something quite like a d70 quite yet though. Keeping his stock bolt pattern and the trackwidth of his front is probably something that he is interested in.

nate
08-12-2005, 06:26 AM
I have a D70 in my truck and it's tiny compared to the D80 they put in some of them.

JpRngr
08-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey, aren't you in Colorado? If so, PM me, I've got an AlD44 with 3.73's that I'll sell for cheap without brakes. Only thing is, is the vehicle it's in was rolled, so I can't guaranty that it's not bent. But it might be worth trying.
:mrgreen:

Corey

Michael
08-17-2005, 03:25 AM
well, i've saved up like $350 by eating nothing but rice for the most part this month... anyone know where a junk yard is on the western slope of colorado that might have an 8.8 or something else that i is similar width to stock or that can be fixed with wheel spacers or something? anyone willing to do the welding for a reasonable fee or keg of beer?

would it be worth it to replace the carrier for now? its getting loud at all speeds, but only when gas is pressed, not when coasting. happens when turning and going straight. i replace diff fluid frequently, so i don't know wtf is wrong. its never been run dry or anything like that.

at the current rate, i'm about to just part it out, and get a toyota or some shit. what a horrible thought. :toimonst:

sevenslats
08-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Don't dump any more $$ into the d35. There's a U-pull place in Ft Collins where you can get 8.8s for $59 plus core. Looking for the details right now...

Michael
08-17-2005, 05:31 PM
(begin rant)

thats a drive and a half, but oh well. now if i just had a plasma cutter and welder to get those damn brackets off. anyone think a shop would set it up for around 200? the thought of having to get a JOB just gives me a horrible feeling, as i won't be able to sit on my ass all day like i have all summer waiting for school to start. at this point, i'm thinking of either reversing the charges on my credit card for the 1100 i spent to have the 35 redone, or taking the jackwad to small claims court to see if i can get my money back. shit, if i had 1000 this would be done in a day.

is it going to explode with these symptoms anytime soon or what? i've driving like 22000 miles in the last 6 months since i got it "fixed" with all new gears, bearings and seals. but its around 30% louder than before, and whines at all speeds, not just 50-80 like before i had it "fixed".

either way after i get it fixed, i think i might have to take a big shit on the dana 35, and have it sent postage paid on delivery back to jeep.

it was fucked up before i even knew there wasn't a body lift for a zj. god i was so stupid. i could have gotten a winch, and a whole new diff with a locker for what i payed this schmuck to "repair" it.

(end rant)

thanks again for your help and knowledge in this matter guys. since beginning to learn about my jeep, i have aquired an amount of knowledge about cars that i thought i would never have before. on top of being able to diagnose many problems with the jeep, i know do just about all of my normal maintenance and simple repairs myself, saving thousands each year. the online jeep community has helped all along the way, and for that my hat is off to all of you for your contributions and guidance no matter how small. :partyman:

2jeepsforus
10-17-2005, 10:15 PM
the thought of having to get a JOB just gives me a horrible feeling, as i won't be able to sit on my ass all day like i have all summer waiting for school to start.

Hmmm... its simple, do some work get some money.... People these days!

nate
10-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Personally if you need the Jeep to get to school and work, and it's either fixing it or riding a bike 20 miles.... and you don't really have much money or are able to do the welding, cutting, etc, I would put another D35 or D44 in.... as much as I hate to say it.

Find one with the same gears as what you have, throw it in there for the time being. Yeah your just putting a shitty axle in, but at least it will last for a while until you can get money and resources together to do an axle swap.

If you had the resources, an 8.8 swap could be done for $350... or even less really. The only thing is that you'd need to find one that had the same gear ratio as your D30... when you start looking into adding a locker and gears, that's where the price goes up fast.

Michael
10-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Whats the going price on a d35? $0.03? Sounds like a reasonable plan for now. I'll have to make a trip to the front range to search for one.

Sudz
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
http://car-part.com