PDA

View Full Version : clunk, bogging, jerking .. tranny pooped?

norton
08-01-2005, 01:14 AM
So im driving with my friend back to his house earlier tonight. going 40 down a regular street. i hear a clunk come from the tranny/TC area. scary but other than the noise no adverse effects. i get on the highway approx. 2 miles down the road. drive on the highway for a mile or 2 (at 65ish mph) and it starts to bog down and i couldnt go faster than 50mph. not only that but it was jerking slightly back and forth. I could also smell something like burning clutch/tranny. I make it to my friends house and look around underneath the bitch and no excess fluids or anything else looking out of wack.

i let it sit for about 2 hours while rocking some kids on halo2 live. and i just drove it home and it had none of the above mentioned symptoms anymore.

any ideas?

zjcrazy
08-01-2005, 10:07 AM
check the tranny fluid for color and smell... it should be red maybe darker depending on how long you have had it in there. If it smells burnt you might have a bad tranny.

What year and engine?

norton
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
93, 5.2, 99,xxx miles

norton
08-16-2005, 05:09 PM
well its been 2 weeks and i havent had any issues. no noises or anything. no-one else has any ideas?

does seem like my TPS is prolly pissed off though. ill be driving down the street at 40ish with the throttle pressed just a little when out of no-where it will depress itself and speed up. wtf? TPS right? it does it really randomly and doesnt bother me that much though. just thought id mention it

that is all for now

zjmike4
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Trannies do wierd unexplained things before they blow, trust me i've blown two in Moab in the past year! (products of bad rebuilds) First thing I would do is drop the pan and get a new filter. Check the pan for little shards of metal which are clutch linings. A little is ok for an older tranny. but not a lot. take it in and have it looked at if there is a lot, especially if there are some on the dipstick.

In my experience, a tranny will act funny for a while, then be ok for a while, and repeat this pattern until one day out of no where you'll lose gears. So I would say check it out soon.

sevenslats
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Bad gas?
And you don't want it speeding up and out of control when trying to stop at an intersection. Could be ugly.

ATL ZJ
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Keep driving. Don't worry about it as much or else you'll make yourself miserable. Change your fluid if you keep having problems.

norton
08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Bad gas?
And you don't want it speeding up and out of control when trying to stop at an intersection. Could be ugly.

its not out of control. whenever it happenes, i tap the brakes and it quits. what do you mean bad gas?

i don't drive it much right now, but in about 150 miles itll be hitting the 100,000 mark :toimonst:. it hasnt had me too worried. maybe its just time for a fawking tune-up. im sure the ZJ would love some fresh tranny/diff fluids plus some spark plugs/wires. i just changed the engine oil and air filter a week or 2 ago.

thanks for the input yall. my next check is gonna be a fatty so ill fuck with it in a week. i doubt it will even get to 100k before then.