PDA

View Full Version : hydrolocked engine

zjcrazy
07-31-2005, 11:45 AM
hello everyone,

Yesterday I went into a very very deep mudhole and the engine stalled out. Finally got it home and I am trying to salvage the motor.

here is my to do list: (1997 zj 5.2L)

1. clean air filter (k&n)
2. remove spark plugs and crank engine for 3 ten second bursts
3. clean throttle body
4. change oil and oil filter
5. new sparkplugs and spark plug wires
--------------------------------------------------------------------
if engine runs

6. change transmission fluid and filter
7. change t case fluid
8. change diff fluids front and rear
--------------------------------------------------------------------

please let me know if I am off base.

I just finished step two and I noticed that every sings spark plug has a helluva lot of oil deposits on them... this is leading me to beleive the head gasket is fried. However, there was no water spitting out of the spark plug holes, although it did smell kinda funny. Hard to explain, but it did have a distinct smell.... I am guessing that may be normal. (never done this before so I would not know.)

I am hoping that because I was not giving hardly any revs at all I might get lucky with a blown head gasket instead of a bent rod or anything that might make the jeep unsalvagable.

Basically what I want to know from ya'll is...

am I doing the right thing so far

any other tips and tricks that might be able to help me out.

----------------------------------------------------------

P.S.
I was unsure if this should have been in this forum, or the newbie forum... sorry if I put it in the wrong place.

&

Thanks in advance

zjcrazy
07-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Also this is nbd at the moment, but the stereo doesn't work anymore and the speakers were givin alot of static even though the stereo was off when I was takin on water.

I might not be able to make it to gsse after all.

zjcrazy
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6451.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6452.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6454.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6455.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6456.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6457.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/BeechRichland073005/100_6458.sized.jpg

ZJake
07-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Pics dont work for me. :pissed:

nate
07-31-2005, 03:18 PM
If you cranked over the engine without the plugs and no water came out, you should be ok. As for the oil, maybe plenum gasket? Pretty common on the 5.2L

zjcrazy
07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
hey I took the spark plugs over to a friend... he told me that the spark plugs were not black because of oil deposits, but because the engine was running too rich. I might have gotten real lucky here, either way I think I have learned my lesson to stay away from deep mud.

zjcrazy
07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
aight I have more good news... drained the oil just now and it is in great condition... no water, or metal contaminents...

here is what I am doin next:

fill up with oil

cleaning out spark plug holes with shop vac (idea given to me by a friend)

spray mopar combustion chamber cleaner into the cylinders and do another dry run

install new spark plugs

clean throttle body with mopar combustion chamber cleaner

remove spark plugs do dry run # 2 after thourough cleaning

reinstall new spark plugs with new spark plug wires clean distributor and if necessary replace

change engine oil and oil filter

----------------------------------------------------

that should be it for the engine... if it runs well and smoothly then I will move on to the rest of the drivetrain.

JeepinHank
08-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Zack!

If you're going to use the mopar CC Cleaner - Reinstall your old plugs when you first run the engine. That stuff can really foul up the plugs when your first burning it off, so use the old ones - then swap in the new ones....

Also - Go ahead an change all of the other fluids - diffs, tranny, and T-case.

Other than that - good luck - sounds like you got lucky!

I won't be making it up to GSSE, but I hope to be making it up to Tellico towards the end of the month - The jeep should be running again soon!

Later!

Hank

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 12:01 AM
just finished reinstalling the spark plugs and firing the engine.

I noticed that is running very rough and extremly rich... lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I did not hear any knocking so I guess I didn't bend a rod, but I am gonna do a compression test tomorrow morning.

What could cause it to run so increadibly rough and rich?
Also
could the engine running rich cause it to run so rough?

LouisianaZJ
08-02-2005, 12:05 AM
if you just did the CCC it is normal for it to smoke alot right after that

otherwise, might be a messed up sensor or something

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 09:25 AM
yea, but I always thought mopar ccc smoked white, not black.

ZJake
08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
just finished reinstalling the spark plugs and firing the engine.

I noticed that is running very rough and extremly rich... lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I did not hear any knocking so I guess I didn't bend a rod, but I am gonna do a compression test tomorrow morning.

What could cause it to run so increadibly rough and rich?
Also
could the engine running rich cause it to run so rough?

I submerged mine in a pretty deep hole one time and the check engine light came on and it spat out a code that the oxygen sensor was malfunctioning. I checked the sensor and its harness and they were fine. It was running way rich, strong odor, black smoke, sputtering, etc. It did this for about a day and a halfand then it just went back to normal. I guess some water got in the harness or something but whatever it was it went away. Try unhooking the battery for a few seconds to let the computer reset. :smt003

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Mud's bad, mmmmkay? :weedman:

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
A couple other weird occurances I have noticed.

It sat all night for more than a day and a half with the battery disconnected, and the temperature guage read that there was still heat in the engine. Kinda weird, but I was like aight nbd.

check engine light came on and said it was running lean... when obviously it was running rich with the black smoke pouring our of the exhaust.

oh well... hopefully I will know more after this compression test.

Jim311
08-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Shit, that water is pretty shallow compared to what I got into.

http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album25/RodandPan3Resize.jpg

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey Zack!

If you're going to use the mopar CC Cleaner - Reinstall your old plugs when you first run the engine. That stuff can really foul up the plugs when your first burning it off, so use the old ones - then swap in the new ones....

Also - Go ahead an change all of the other fluids - diffs, tranny, and T-case.

Other than that - good luck - sounds like you got lucky!

I won't be making it up to GSSE, but I hope to be making it up to Tellico towards the end of the month - The jeep should be running again soon!

Later!

Hank

well... the original plugs were so bad I wasn't about to put em back in, so I just bought a cheap set cause I knew the mopar ccc would foul them... I will prolly be going with a better set after I figure out what I am doin lol.

thanks for the tip though, and I am sorry you won't be making it to gsse, but if I don't have the engine running smoothly by tomorrow night I don't think I will be making it either.

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 03:36 PM
check engine light just came on again... this time it is saying that the o 2 sensor voltage is low... could the o2 sensor be the cause of all my troubles?

ZJake
08-02-2005, 04:25 PM
check engine light just came on again... this time it is saying that the o 2 sensor voltage is low... could the o2 sensor be the cause of all my troubles?

That sounds very similar to what mine was doing.(Read my previous post) But like I said, it just went away before I got a chance to replace the O2 sensor which is what I planned to do.

zjcrazy
08-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Shit, that water is pretty shallow compared to what I got into.

http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album25/RodandPan3Resize.jpg

wow... that sucks... I am sorry that had to happen to ya.

I am waitin on a friend to help me do the compression test... I will let you know how it goes... so far cylinder one read 120, but I don't know how quickly the guage reacted or anything... tough to start the vehicle and read the guage at the same time.

zjcrazy
08-03-2005, 12:19 PM
cylinder 1 - 120 cylinder 2 - 150
cylinder 3 - 150 cylinder 4 - 170
cylinder 5 - 140 cylinder 6 - 150
cylinder 7 - 150 cylinder 8 - 130

the only cylinder I am concerned with is cylinder one... first reading on the first compression stroke was 90, then it jumped up to 120... I added a lil bit of oil and no improvement on response time.

cylinder 6 & 8 are estimates because the guage quit working right and would lose pressure after each compression stroke.

Anyway those are the results, let me know what ya'll think.

gearhead313
08-04-2005, 12:27 AM
what are the miles on the engine? Sounds like its a normal tired engine to me.

That happened to me back when i first lifted my zj. I put my hole hood under and then it leveled out just under the headlights...which is right at your chest on my rig. I had to get pulled out, it was totally flooded.

When I got mine out and tried cranking it, it was locked pretty good. I managed to pump most of the water out though by holding my foot to the floor and getting one or 2 revolutions at a time. It finally started cranking and fired on a few cyl, but wouldn't idle. once it died, just let it sit for 5-10min, then try again. It took about 30min easy, but I got it cleared out enough to drive it off the trail. I let it warm back up for a while and its been fine ever since. There ended up being at least a cup or 2 of water in the oil, but no damage :supz:

zjcrazy
08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
75,000 miles on it.

I have alot of work to do, but I still might make tellico for Grand Slam South East!!!

ATL ZJ
08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
75,000 miles on it.

I have alot of work to do, but I still might make tellico for Grand Slam South East!!!

DO it. see ya tomorrow night.

dasVettemeister
08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Mud's bad, mmmmkay? :weedman:

That wasn't even a mudhole, it was a small f-ing pond! [shakes head]