PDA

View Full Version : firewall rot, what to do

servouxh
07-31-2005, 10:29 AM
So I have had the heep sitting in my barn holding down some jack stands for about a year now. I planned on having the beast running by now but I may have underestimated the amount of $$$$ it will take to finish. So far I have a built and shaved 14bolt rear. A 35-spline highsteer D60 KP, both with disks. I also built a 4.7L stroker and put a big valve head on it, had the tranny built to accomodate it. I also have a PSC pump and steering box. I have 37X13X16 boggers. And a Shiznit load of other little misc. things, including a KOR 7" lift and sliders. All in all about $10-$15K worth of stuff.

Well, I don't know how I missed it but when I went to put the 350 MC and switch the brake pedal around I noticed I could see light under the dash. So right where the harness and hood cable pass throught the firewall there is a rotted hole about the size of a baseball. And the fender below the master cylinder/booster is completly gone where it meets the fire wall. There is actually a 1-2" gap from the frame rail to the out side of the inner fender. As I'm looking around it I stripped out the interior carpet and all and there is also a hole where the driver seat meets the floor about the same size. And the entire right rear fender tub is gone about half way back.

So is it even worth fixing this heep or should I liquidate what I can and start with something more there. Sorry about the novel. Any input is appreciated.

ATL ZJ
07-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I would weld in some sheet or very thin plate over the holes and call it good..

Or if you want to get tricky, fab up some sort of aluminum firewall/ dash. I have always thought that would be pretty cool.

servouxh
07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Sigh, Yea. I don't think I can do it with out completely removing the interior dash and wiring harnes. I think it would melt the wiring harness which is already pretty brittle right there anyway. Honestly if I'd known this thing was this rotten I would never have started this project. Oh yea, and the floor all around the outside perimiter and around the frame rails in the cargo area is rotted away. And when I took the doors off I saw the bottoms of all of them are gone as well. Actually gone I can look up and see the regulator and everthing. All except the drivers door which looks good but has a rusted out hinge on the top and is torn at the latch. I find more holes everytime I go out. I wish I'd never pulled that carpet up. Oh well.

The custom dash would be cool but really difficult and time consuming.

ATL ZJ
08-01-2005, 12:19 AM
You might take a look at a CJ or FJ40 owners' forum. Those guys run super OLD rigs that are true rustbuckets.. Their advise will probably be most valuable. Sucks though man, good luck with fixing it all.

LouisianaZJ
08-01-2005, 01:24 AM
get as much of the rust out as possible
POR15 any loose pieces of rust that cant be taken out it, it will stop further rusting
--dash area- JBweld/epoxy/silicone a piece of metal over the holes
---other areas- weld in patches
POR 15 everything then herculine/durabak the interior

zjeepin
08-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a good buggy candidate to me :drinkers:

servouxh
08-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a good buggy candidate to me

Yes, but then I need a trailer and a tow rig. But that might be less expensive than making what I have road worthy. Hmmm :rivers: I just need to win the lotto or something I guess.

JpRngr
08-02-2005, 02:32 AM
From the sounds of it, with the extent of your rust, I would be looking for a new body. It'll be a lot easier swapping all your stuff onto a different ZJ than fixing your junk to make it road worthy. I picked up a 93 with problems for essentially $500 (actual money was considerably less). My old ZJ "Chalupa" started as a $2K E-bay find. They're out there.

Or buggy it! :finga:

Corey