PDA

View Full Version : 9" Questions

Mtn WJ
07-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone know how strong or weak the 28 spline 9" diffs are compared to the 31 spline units?

I found a 9" that is 63.5 wide but not sure if it is a 31 spline because it looks like the 28 spline shaft. In addition it would be easier to adapt the WJ tone rings to the 28 spline shafts because the space between the axle housing and the back of the hub is wider.

I think I can still adapt the tone rings to the 31 shaft but it will be tighter and take more machine work.

TIA for any info.

Keith

FinlayZJ
07-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Anyone know how strong or weak the 28 spline 9" diffs are compared to the 31 spline units?

About 3 splines weaker.

I found a 9" that is 63.5 wide but not sure if it is a 31 spline because it looks like the 28 spline shaft.

Count the splines. If it "looks" like a 28 spline shaft, yet you count 31 splines, it's a 31 spline shaft.

:finga:

Sorry for the smart ass replies. It only 4 bolts to pull a shaft on a 9" So pull one side out and count the splines. If you get a 28 spline housing, I don't think you can upgrade unless it's a big bearing housing. 9" housing are so common and cheap, i'd hold out for a big bearing 31 spline unit. Also, get a 9" with equal length shafts.

Edit:

31 spline on the L, 28 on the R.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/FinlayZJ/splines.jpg

There is a pretty significant difference.

Kraqa
07-29-2005, 12:52 PM
i dont' know any strength numbers. BUT.....

mostlikly the reason why there is more room behind the 28 spline shafts is because most 31 spline were the big bearing design. I'm thinking it would be possible to use a small bearing housing and order the 31 spline small bearings. then theoreticly you would have the same amoutn of room.

i did a bit of reasearch when i was building my 9" they are a shit mix axle.

either way the 28 spline ford 9" will be stronger then the d35. And hopfully you will have better luck with its semi float design. That 3rd member will be alot easier to get out when your ARB desides not to let go of the broken shaft.

ALWJ
08-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm breaking my 31 spline stuff on 37's. Twisted the splines on two axles and cracked the third member at the small pinion support bearing. depending on what kind of wheeling you're doing the 31 spline may be enough, but I wouldn't give the 28 spline a second thought. WJ's are pretty heavy and put out some good power so just be careful. I'm already on my way to building a 35 spline unit.