PDA

View Full Version : Bill Moore Lake August 6th

BigDaveZJ
07-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Breaking in Pam's ZJ on Bill Moore August 6th. Might bomb over to Spring Creek afterwards too if we finish BML in time and I have my ZJ. I still have to fix all the stuff I broke on Double Whammy to get mine going, but I'll have Cherry Hunter at my disposal if I need it too.

Probably meet at the BK in Downieville around 930AM?

zjmike4
07-30-2005, 01:30 AM
If I get my Jeep fixed tomorrow, I am there!

JohnBoulderCO
07-30-2005, 01:33 AM
I should have the WJ up and running by then. Sounds like fun!

Need to hit Holy Cross later in August as well. :mrgreen:

zjmike4
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Fixed the ZJ on the trail yesterday so I'm down.

John, look at the Holy Cross camping trip thread. It is the last weekend in August, you should come run it then! Even if you don't camp and pay the club to get the raffle tickets and meals you can still come run the trail with us, it should be a good time, there are 2 groups going. let me know if you want to go.

JohnBoulderCO
08-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Mike, glad you got the ZJ back together. Sheared bolts? Weird.

Yeah, I might be up for that Holy Cross trip, but I'd have to sleep in the Jeep or on the roof, no camping gear. Maybe stay in Glenwood Springs. :mrgreen:

BigDaveZJ
08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Pam's ZJ is ready to go, and mine should be once I'm done wrenching all day Wednesday and Thursday.

So SC should definitely be an option since we should all be able to breeze right through BML. I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea to get a little earlier start though since we're gonna try to knock out two trails in one day.

Meet at 8:30 at the BK for a 9AM departure???

zjmike4
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
That works fine for me. I think the two trails is a good idea. We should head down Red Elephant Hill from the top of Bill Moore since that comes out right across the road from Spring Creek. If you need some help with the Jeep let me know, I'm pretty much free for the most part of this week.

John, I have 3 tents so you can always use one if you wanted. We have one that practically has 3 rooms (the one I'm bringing) and then two other tents so that's always an option.

BigDaveZJ
08-01-2005, 05:08 PM
That works fine for me. I think the two trails is a good idea. We should head down Red Elephant Hill from the top of Bill Moore since that comes out right across the road from Spring Creek. If you need some help with the Jeep let me know, I'm pretty much free for the most part of this week.

I've never gone down Red Elephant, so I wouldn't be up for leading that, but if you want to lead that section you're more than welcome.

I'll be working on the ZJ Wednesday and maybe Thursday. Need to replace both front UCA's, replace left rear axle shaft, re-weld and reinforce left rear UCA bracket, fabricate an exhaust mount, and go over my steering box with a fine tooth comb. Should be fun! I've got one guy coming to help already, but you're welcome to come down if you want. We'll be wrenching at my place down in Castle Rock.

zjmike4
08-01-2005, 11:52 PM
I can lead Red Elephant, I ran it and led John and Scott down it once before.

I have stock UCAs if thats what you are using, you can have them if you want. Drop me a PM w/ directions and your number and I'll see if I can make it.

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Well we ended up softly breaking Pam's ZJ in tonight. Got a call from buddy who blew his clutch linkage out on Dakan so we took both ZJ's up to rescue him. Nothing like a night run!!

We'll probably get started around 10 or 11.

JohnBoulderCO
08-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Red Elephant once is enough for me.

Not a hard trail, very scenic, but the Aspens are so close together for a major part of it, that we had to tip-toe between them. Several times I had to 3-point turn between them to keep from hitting them.

4WDSUjordan
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey guys I am looking for something to go to this coming weekend. BIGDAVE can you email me and let me know more about where this is exactly and how many rigs you think can make it out?

Jordan.May@primedia.com

Thanks!

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey guys I am looking for something to go to this coming weekend. BIGDAVE can you email me and let me know more about where this is exactly and how many rigs you think can make it out?

Jordan.May@primedia.com

Thanks!

email sent!

zjmike4
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Doesn't matter to me if we do red elephant, I don't think its the greatest trail either, I just thought it might save a little highway time, but if not thats cool.

JohnBoulderCO
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
You guys can do it. I will can wait at the bottom. It took a while wiggling through all the Aspens. I had to take my rear CB antenna off, turn in both mirrors and still had to go slow to avoid the trees.

Let's do Winch Hill on Spring Creek!
Hmmmmm, I like that that nasty sheet metal eating tree root.
It's good to have two lockers and crawl right by it!

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Since we're trying to do two trails in one day, and it sounds like pretty slow going, let's just skip Red Elephant. Most of Bill Moore is baja'able anyways!!

zjmike4
08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Sounds good to me!

zjRyan
08-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey Dave, what are the chances of my ZJ making it up SC in one piece? Nothing has changed on it since GSW...

If the odds are against me, I still may come up to run BML.

BigDaveZJ
08-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey Dave, what are the chances of my ZJ making it up SC in one piece? Nothing has changed on it since GSW...

Hopefully the odds are very good cuz Pam's ZJ will be with us! I think you'll be fine.

Colorado 5.9
08-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Lets get the time strait. Colorado 4x4 says 8:30 & at the top of this thread it says 9:30. It's " 8:30" right?

JohnBoulderCO
08-05-2005, 09:33 AM
I think it's 8:30.

zjRyan
08-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Hopefully the odds are very good cuz Pam's ZJ will be with us! I think you'll be fine.

:rock:

BigDaveZJ
08-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Lets get the time strait. Colorado 4x4 says 8:30 & at the top of this thread it says 9:30. It's " 8:30" right?

It is 8:30. A few posts later after I decided to run Spring Creek too I changed it to 8:30.

Colorado 5.9
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I looked for it but did not find it. I sent this thread to Al since he wanted to wheel last week & didn't get to. Last e-mail I got from him he say maybe this week.

zjRyan
08-05-2005, 02:55 PM
So it looks like I'm going to have to skip out on this one...just got two VIP tickets to the International tomorrow through work. :supz:

Sucks though, I've been wanting to run this trail for a while now.

JpRngr
08-07-2005, 02:23 AM
So....looks like I didn't get called to come rescue anyone. :finga: I take it it went good?

Corey

Colorado 5.9
08-07-2005, 02:49 AM
So....looks like I didn't get called to come rescue anyone. :finga: I take it it went good?

Corey

Not quite. At least with me. After doing Bill Moore & we got to the Trail head of S.C. I found that I had no steering at Idle. If I bumped up the RPM's just a tad it would come back. I don't yet really know why other than I think I was just too damn hot. I didn't do S.C. I just came back home not knowing what was up. Also that DAMN poping came back 2/3rds the way down Bill More. I was really getting bad.

After letting the thing cool off for 4 hours this evening I pulled the track bar bracket & track bar. Everything looks good. Welds and all. This is what I can see with the powder coat on there. Even the bushings on the track bar. Hell there was no wear to them at all. Even after 3 years.

It looked as if the bracket has been sliding side to side a bit though. I cleaned everything up, painted the bracket & torqued the bracket bolts to 90ftlbs per Kevins Instructions. :smt003 No poping so far.

Then I started the jeep up. Steering is back to normal. Very easy at Idle again. I guess I'm just going to install a cooler for it. Scott Mueller has a good writeup I'll follow. While I'm at it I might as well do the tranny cooler too. :smt003

http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/techarticles/zj_pwrsteeringcooler.html

As late as it is (1:13) & no word on what happened the rest of the day I kinda think something went wrong. There could have been a very long wait up there. Seems allot of other people were going up besides our group.

BigDaveZJ
08-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Everything went fine, just a long day. No major carnage, I think I knocked a rock light loose and Pam kissed her rockers a couple times on Spring Creek. Few of the other guy had some minor issues, but no major damage to anybody. It was just a long ass day, I can't even figure out how many rigs we had on the trail, we started with 11 but I know we ended up with way more than that.

I did have a nice encounter with a CSP Trooper on my way home though, nice little $18.60 ticket for the uber bling purple neon license plate frame.

MYYJ
08-07-2005, 03:09 PM
That was one very long day. Had a blast and got to meet some really nice people. Glad to hear your steering problem wasn't anything major.

Colorado 5.9
08-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Me too! At least so far it isn't. Since everything seemed to be back to normal after it cooled down. Over heating is the only thing I can think of. I think it was AprilzWarrior or maybe GoingOffRoading said the stock pump is inadequate for the PSC 621mr. Maybe that's why. Once it get's to a certain temp, it can't pump at well at idle.

zjmike4
08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
We had 13 total on SC, when Mike was able to get his CJ2a running. I was actually amazed at how fast we got through Spring Creek. I was thinking 2-3 hours min. on the rock garden, but everyone made it through ok. Camping was fun, although some IDIOT came through and trashed the cabin, broke a couple shutter and tore down cabinets for fire wood. I'm getting some supplies today and taking the kayak up to Loch Lomond and then off to go fix up the cabin.

JohnBoulderCO
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Long day but fun.

Mike got a love tap going up Winch Hill. The only one that had issues with it. Maybe those MT's are old and hard don't stick anymore.