PDA

View Full Version : IPF Headlight Conversion

97ZJLimited
07-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey guys, I have been lookin at the forum's for a while and have just registered and got a question.

The stock bulb broke free and melted the plastic headlight housing on my Jeep and im looking into possibly going with the IPF Upgrade. I'm curious to see how many of you have them on your ZJ and if you do, would you have any picture's of a before after? I have seen the one's online but I prefer to see someone that's not promoting the item showing off their stuff.

Also is this something someone without much of a mechanical background, but a bit of electrical experience could install? If not what shop's would you recommend? I did call MGM and Northern 4x4 and they arn't open weekends. I work the week days till 5:30pm, and my jeep is my only form of transportation.

Any extra information would be greatly appreciated.

- Jason

OverkillZJ
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
A lot of the rigs here don't even have headlights, let alone a $600 headlight system...

BigDaveZJ
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
My headlights are held in by duct tape, it works really well.

JeepinHank
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
A lot of the rigs here don't even have headlights, let alone a $600 headlight system...

True.

That said, if you've got a decent amount of electrical know-how, and can & will actually read the instructions, I wouldn't imagine the upgrade would be all that difficult.

Couple of wires, couple of relays, tap into the existing headlight loom, and you're good to go. Just make sure you do it right. Use adequate guage wire, make good connections - solder them or use some other reliable connection method, use heat shrink tubing - esp if soldering.

97ZJLimited
07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, I ended up bagging the HID / IPF idea. Bought a used headlight assy to fix the busted one. Now im thinkin of going with a brush guard /w 2 light's tied into my bright's assy. What do you guys recommend?

I am totally new to the 4x4 scene, been driving lil Passat's/Celica's for a while so any information and site's ya could point me to would be much appreciated.

P.S. I'm in Alaska, so any online site's in WA would be appreciated :)

LouisianaZJ
07-29-2005, 11:00 PM
i have an h4 conversion in the xj

works very well