PDA

View Full Version : Front driveshaft rubber boot?? Not CV shaft

Hkoch45
07-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Okay here's the deal. I bought a 93 ZJ w/ no front driveshaft installed but had two driveshafts in the back of the truck. That shaft is double cardan at one end and other end is 1310 ujoint. The driveshaft goes splined shaft , rubber boot, yoke, ujoint. I need the rubber boot w/ metal clamps. I went to local driveshaft shop this morning and they said they don't have it. I called the dealer and they had no idea cause the shafts they show for 93-95 grand cherokee don't have the rubber boot on them. Called tom wood's they said their boots aren't the same size has the factory's boot. Does any know the dealer part number or even what year this shaft came from or even the spicer part number for the boot if its a spicer part.

OverkillZJ
07-28-2005, 11:38 AM
No ZJ's I know of had such a rubber boot. I'd just take it to your local driveline shop and see what they can do...

ATL ZJ
07-28-2005, 12:15 PM
My shaft is like that. Maybe try a junkyard, or a different dealer?

5.2Krawler
07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
My manual says 93 and 94 used the type with grease fitting and seal and 95 and up have three options grease fitting/seal , rubber boot and cv. So try the dealer and look up a 95 or later.

OverkillZJ
07-29-2005, 12:20 AM
96+ would have the evil CV booted style, correct? I wasn't even aware any of them cam with a rubber boot where the shaft travels, so let us know what you find out.

BigDaveZJ
07-29-2005, 01:21 AM
96+ would have the evil CV booted style, correct? I wasn't even aware any of them cam with a rubber boot where the shaft travels, so let us know what you find out.

[guy from Independence Day]That's not necessarily true Mr. President[/guy from Independence Day]

Pam's 98 had the u-jointed shaft to my surprise. I THINK it has the rubber boot too over the splines. Honestly, I really doubt the effectiveness of this rubber boot to begin with. Neither of my custom driveshafts have them and I've had no issues, except I knocked the zerk fitting off the rear the first run out.

Possible fix, just get a shock boot and hose clamps. May not be the perfect size, but it'd be good 'nuff. Also you can get those cool ones that come in all sorts of crazy colors. I recommend pink for maximum effectiveness.

OverkillZJ
07-29-2005, 09:36 AM

[guy from Independence Day]That's not necessarily true Mr. President[/guy from Independence Day]

Pam's 98 had the u-jointed shaft to my surprise. I THINK it has the rubber boot too over the splines. Honestly, I really doubt the effectiveness of this rubber boot to begin with. Neither of my custom driveshafts have them and I've had no issues, except I knocked the zerk fitting off the rear the first run out.

Possible fix, just get a shock boot and hose clamps. May not be the perfect size, but it'd be good 'nuff. Also you can get those cool ones that come in all sorts of crazy colors. I recommend pink for maximum effectiveness.

I bet you my Jeep it came with the CV jointed style POS and was replaced under some crazy Chrystler TSB :weedman:

ATL ZJ
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
The shaft under my formerly 2wd 94 ZJ that came from a 4x4 96 ZJ that was attached to a 96 NP242 but is now attached to a 98 TJ NV231 has such a boot over the splines and no CV joint. whoa...

I bet a shock boot would work. I can get you one for $20 shipped. :mrgreen: