PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Need help w/ recovery!

zjmike4
07-26-2005, 11:43 PM
I ran Kelly Flats with a group from CO4x4 today and at the VERY END of the trail i heard a loud pop, got out and saw my entire Kevin's tcase crossmember broke off the frame, the bolts sheared and striped out of the unibody frame. Needless to say, I total screwed my tranny, busted my tcase linkage sinced it dropped about 9 inches. The tranny is in park and it acts like neutral. SO this makes 3 broken trannies in one year. A rebuild, then the rebuilders rebuild turned out to be a bad job, and now this! So if anyone can help, its greatly apreciated. Trailers, whatever works, I dont want to flat tow it and mess the tranny up anymore, I'm hoping there could just be linkage problems, but don't know.
Thanks

Mike

OverkillZJ
07-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Probably just linkage problems, but you're still gonna have to get it off the trail to really look at it. I'm a lil' far to help :weedman:

zjmike4
07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
yeah, thats what im hoping..... when it happened, i thought a broke a u-joint, but it was on a dirt road. Stopped, but it in park, the splines wrapped for about 1.5 seconds and then it just kept rolling. then there was no control in the tcase linkage since it was ripped out.

ATL ZJ
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
yet another KOR LA kit failure...

XLSLC
07-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey Mike... if you can dig up a trailer I can pull it... after 6 Thursday. I'm a lot of help.... but if it comes to that :rock:

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Shit dude that blows! My ZJ is in just about as good of shape as yours now, but I am off tomorrow if I can lend a hand.

silber
07-27-2005, 01:35 AM
I am in the area and can help, with the exception that I have to work tomorrow night. Might be able to source a trailer, not definate though. Probably would not be able to get that untill after 11:00 tomorrow night. Could work in a pinch though...

Let me know

zjmike4
07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
My source for the trailer has completely fallen through. I am stuck in Greeley w/ no vehicle. I may have access to a truck but its all the way in Evergreen. If any of you guys can help me get a truck/trailer setup at anytime and could help me get the jeep back to greeley, that would be awesome :supz: . give me a call at 303 913 8710 if possible.

Thanks again,

Mike

JohnBoulderCO
07-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Mike,
That sucks!
My WJ is apart in the garage, T-Case busted, waiting for a new one.
I don't own a truck or a trailer, so I'm no help.

You could always call one of those rental places (Rent-A-Wreck). See if they have a truck and trailer.
John

silber
07-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Sorry man, I couldn't source a trailer...

jeep4x4nut
07-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Uhaul trailer?...buddies truck?

jeep4x4nut
07-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I have to ask this....is this your ZJ? I foudn these pics on Jeepforum.com
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/Raab3485/IMG_1891.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/Raab3485/IMG_1892.jpg

heres the rest of the post
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180202&page=1&pp=15

zjmike4
07-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Haha, yeah thats my Jeep. Nice to see her in one piece still. I like the new prototype rachet strap transfer case crossmember... Easily lowerable to reduce vibes on the highway.....

zjmike4
07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Buddy can't get his truck to me until after this weekend... Have a couple of other possible sources though.

Cody
07-28-2005, 10:24 PM
so the bolts sheared off? What would cause that?

Cody

zjmike4
07-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Kevin and I talked about making that skid have more clearance for a 231 case, since its clocked different and has more clearance than a 249. So, we decided it would be best to cut v notches in the skid and bend it upwards to -11 degrees. Only this caused the extra third leg support to be removed. So all the wieght has been moved to the 4 bolts on the frame. Once may have worked its way out, or a bolt of the l bracket on the frame may have ripped off because of the increased weight, and that caused a chain of all three bolts breaking or shearing out. I got new L's from Kevin today and I'm going up tomorrow to try a trail repair, put the crossmember back on and the reconnect the linkage. Hopefully that fixes it.

KevinF
08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
yet another KOR LA kit failure...

Hey now...be nice. Your attempt to fling mud is poorly placed since Mike doesn't have a long arm kit. Thanks for your kind words and the support though, friend. We don't know who's to blame for the skid coming down...I think one or two of the bolts came loose (maybe a nutsert too), but I was more than happy to get Mike going by comping him about $50 worth of parts and shipping so that he could get his Jeep off the trail. This has not happened before in the hundred or so skids that we've shipped so far. Are you just trolling for a fight?

Kevin