PDA

View Full Version : Safe zone on dipstick is 2 quarts?

rccolacc
07-26-2005, 06:32 PM
I have a 97 Grand with the 318. I bought it used and I've had it for 8 months now. It's got 130K miles on it. I changed the oil the other day (the third time since I've had it).
I checked the oil before I drained it. It was on the low side of the safe zone. After I drained it, I realized only 3 quarts came out. I changed the filter and put 5 back in. I ran the engine a few minutes and checked the oil. It was on the high side of the safe zone.
Granted I know there is some oil in the filter, but is there really 2 quarts difference between the bottom and top of the safe zone on the dipstick? Maybe I accidently read it wrong the first time.
Thanks.
-RC

Jim311
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
When I put the recommended 5 quarts in my "new" 5.2 it reads WELL above the top line. Dunno WTF is up with that, but 5 quarts is what's recommended, and that's what I'm going to run in it.

ZJake
07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
I've never measured the difference btw what came out and what I put in but mine is dead on at a quart for the "safe zone." And when I add 5 fresh qts it is only about a quarter quart high.

LouisianaZJ
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
i dunno whats up with my 4.slow

speced for like 6.0 quarts, and i run an oversized filter that is like an extra 0.5 quarts

i have to fill it up to like 7.5 quarts to get it to read "full" after running and letting drain into the pan for 5minutes

if i let it sit overnight it will read just above safe, mabey 1/4" over