PDA

View Full Version : The right direction?

Zero
07-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey, I know this is a common question but I've already tried alot of the common fixes, so I thought I'd ask just to be sure I'm not wasting my time.

96, 5.2, stalled while driving at 40mph, and will not restart since. Not even studder, or TRY to do anything other than crank. No codes.

For about a month before this, its been starting normally, but if it sits for a day or more, as it starts and revs, it comes back down to zero, unless you keep your foot on the gas a very little bit to make it idle manually. When the idle finally does catch and hold on its own, it holds at around 1000rpm. Doesn't do that when its warm though.

Anyway, after it stalled while driving, it never restarted, and hasn't even come close. Only cranks.

Already checked for fuel at the rail, sprays out. I have no way to check the pressure but it definitely comes out fast.

Already replaced, TPS, IAC, and ACT. That didn't do anything at all.

Checked for wires that could be cut, as suggested in another thread where someone had severed wires because of bad engine mounts that let wires get too close the floorboard screws that come through.

Next up is CPS, O2 sensors, and distributor, but I don't want to dump money into parts that could be good.... shouldn't these throw some kind of code?

I haven't checked for spark, but I'm kindof nervous about the right way to check for spark, by myself.... I'm new to Los Angeles from the east coast a few months ago, and I don't have any friends to help me out, out here. Also, all the work I do is in a parallel parking space with a meter (i have a pass), in front of my apartment building. Just to give an idea of what I'm working with. Geez, that sounds depressing....

Besides that.... something thats been bugging me.... is oil pressure of 40 at idle cold, and 20 warm normal? Seems kinda low. Never really goes much higher than 40, even on the highway @2000rpm. Now that I think about it, I'd be lucky to get through 3000mi where I don't need to add about 2 quarts between changes.

Thanks for any help guys, sorry for typing so much, but this place is my only source of info that is worthwhile. I really appreciate any advice you all might have. Is anyone around Los Angeles, by the way?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-23-2005, 03:28 AM
try the crank sensor, mine never threw a code but when I scanned it with a decent OBDII tool (not the crappy autozone one) it showed up. its kind of a PITA to get to but will hopefully solve your problem.

ZJake
07-23-2005, 08:06 AM
x2. It won't even try to start if the crank postition or camshaft position sensor go to the bad.

Zero
07-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, i think the crank position sensor will be next. Not looking forward to it though, i hear its a real pain in the ass. never done that one before.

Zero
07-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Just to be sure....
On the 5.2, the CPS is located at about 2 o'clock around the bellhousing / back of engine when looking from the rear, and there is a piece of metal with a 90 degree bend and has 2 bolts (which aim straight up towards 2 o'clock) and a rubber plug type thing with wires coming out, rearward of the metal piece?

I can take a pic.

I can see the fucking thing, but how the hell are you guys getting your arm in there? :smt104 I can't believe some of you guys could manage to get your arm between the exhaust and the tranny pan!? My arms are raw and cut up and I didnt even make it half way there, let alone, get a wrench or socket on the bolts! I know some of you just undid the crossmember bolts and lowered the tranny w/ a floor jack, right? I was trying to avoid that, since I'm in a parallel parking space out on the street.

If this sensor fails again after this, I'm cutting a hole in the floor for easier access to it!! Hell, I should do it now!! :smt003

Zero
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Update, dropped the tranny and the last f-ing bolt on the crossmember got stuck because the weld-in nut in the framerail gave out. I'm rolling this deathtrap into the ocean.

OverkillZJ
07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm rolling this deathtrap into the ocean.

Don't roll it in, at least get it driving well enough so that you can drive it into the ocean. I've always wanted to do that :weedman:

Zero
07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
At this point, I think I might just settle for a high-speed tow, towards the water! I'll still push down on the gas pedal though, just to make it feel more authentic. :smt003

Jim311
07-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Cut the exhaust and pull off the Y-pipe. That's how I got to mine. It's still a bitch to get to even then.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-31-2005, 03:25 AM
for thast crank psoi sensor use a verry long exztension and a u-joint adapter thing on your socket to get too, its tricky and definatleuy a PITA!

Zero
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
for thast crank psoi sensor use a verry long exztension and a u-joint adapter thing on your socket to get too, its tricky and definatleuy a PITA!

Was that a drunk post?? :partyman: :smt003

Zero
08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
For the sake of future searches...... it was a bad coil.