PDA

View Full Version : Couple of 8.8 questions

Mtn WJ
07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
The Explorer 8.8 has the calipers mounted on the rear of the axle housing. Is it possible to rotate the calipers to the front or swap them from left to right to have them on the front of the housing like found on a stock WJ?

The shock mounts on a stock WJ axle are mounted on the rear of the axle tubes. Anyone see a problem with mounting the lower shock brackets on the front of the axle tube?

I am doing the final planning on my axle swap and the Explorer 8.8 has a couple issues with having the calipers mounted on the rear preventing me from mounting the shocks in the stock location.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keith

BigDaveZJ
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
You need to do more research. :finga:

I'm trying to remember on my 8.8, but I THINK you could flip the caliper brackets around pretty easily. There's 4 bolts that hold each caliper bracket to the tube, and per my sketch on a sticky note to visual what I was trying to do in my mind it would work.

Mtn WJ
07-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Yea shame on me for wanting to do it right the first time. It goes down to my Eagle Scout days of being prepared.

Do you know if the bolt patterns are equal in spacing allowing the brackets to swap with out re-drilling? I wonder if there are 8.8 applications from Ford that have the calipers in the front.

I will look this afternoon to see if the shocks will be able to mount on the front of the axle without changing the frame mount. Anyone know if moving the shock mounts from the rear of the axle to the front of axle will change anything with suspension functionality?

Keith

BigDaveZJ
07-22-2005, 02:59 PM
IIRC, the bolt pattern was in a rectulangar shape that would easily allow a 180* switch of their orientation.

Kraqa
07-22-2005, 09:36 PM
something to not over look is make sure the bleeder points up :rolleyes:

BigDaveZJ
07-22-2005, 09:51 PM
something to not over look is make sure the bleeder points up :rolleyes:

:finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga:

LouisianaZJ
07-22-2005, 10:33 PM
is this going on a WJ?

a exploder 8.8 is not going to be wide enough or the right bolt pattern.
got wheel adapters?

BigDaveZJ
07-22-2005, 10:45 PM
is this going on a WJ?

a exploder 8.8 is not going to be wide enough or the right bolt pattern.
got wheel adapters?

Thank you Captain Obvious!! :finga:

Is it going in a WJ, and adapters/spacers are in the plans.

JpRngr
07-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey Keith, I've got an Exploder housing out back you can have. It'll give you something to mock up and check everything out with. Of course it'll be one less piece of junk taking up space at my house and Cristi would really appreciate that! :finga:

Mtn WJ
07-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Corey I might just do that.

By the way the 8.8 in my Marauder has the brake calipers in front of the axle tube which means there are some applications with them in front from Ford.

If I swap them from side to side the bleaders will be on the top. If I rotate them they wont be.

I like the 8.8 because it has been proven to adapt the tone rings the way I need them to work. I will be looking at a 9 inch this week because the older F150 9 inch can be adapted with Caddy discs and is 63.5 wide. Bolt patterns can be redrilled easily on them and the housing is easier to weld. I just want to look at the concept of putting on the tone rings. Plust the 9 inch is non c clip and lighter than a 8.8.

Now I need to decide on which axle to go with the Explorer or the Crown Vic. Both options will cost about the same. What are your opinions?

Explorer

Looks like I can swap the calipers to the front and allow just enough room for the shock mounts.

The set up will be tight but should fit.

Need 1.5 inch spacers per side and get new rims w/ 4 inch BS.

Final width with spacers will be the same as front axle.

Come with 4.10 so I will not need to re-gear.

Crown Vic

More than enough room for the WJ parts to fit.

Will need 3/4 inch spacers to get rear same width as front with spacers but can use same rims in which I have 2 full sets.

Will need to re-gear because I have not found a CV8.8 with 4.10s.

My real complaint is the CV8.8 will be wider than the front with out spacers and this may limit options in the future.

F150 9 inch -pending more inspection.

BigDaveZJ
07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Keith,
I'd still go with the Exlpoder 8.8. I have 1.5" spacers on mine, wheels have 4" backspacing and it works well. With the calipers up front it should work pretty well. Have you confirmed that the Crown Vic 8.8 is indeed a 31 spline? Don't forget there are 28 spline 8.8's out there. You've seen how I wheel my 8.8 and haven't busted (as long as you don't count bent) a shaft so I wouldn't be too concerned about the c-clip. Plus the Exploder 8.8 is by FAR the most popular 8.8 to swap into a rig, so there's more stuff available for it.

Choctaw Bob
07-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks Corey I might just do that.

By the way the 8.8 in my Marauder has the brake calipers in front of the axle tube which means there are some applications with them in front from Ford.

If I swap them from side to side the bleaders will be on the top. If I rotate them they wont be.

I like the 8.8 because it has been proven to adapt the tone rings the way I need them to work. I will be looking at a 9 inch this week because the older F150 9 inch can be adapted with Caddy discs and is 63.5 wide. Bolt patterns can be redrilled easily on them and the housing is easier to weld. I just want to look at the concept of putting on the tone rings. Plust the 9 inch is non c clip and lighter than a 8.8.

Now I need to decide on which axle to go with the Explorer or the Crown Vic. Both options will cost about the same. What are your opinions?

Explorer

Looks like I can swap the calipers to the front and allow just enough room for the shock mounts.

The set up will be tight but should fit.

Need 1.5 inch spacers per side and get new rims w/ 4 inch BS.

Final width with spacers will be the same as front axle.

Come with 4.10 so I will not need to re-gear.

Crown Vic

More than enough room for the WJ parts to fit.

Will need 3/4 inch spacers to get rear same width as front with spacers but can use same rims in which I have 2 full sets.

Will need to re-gear because I have not found a CV8.8 with 4.10s.

My real complaint is the CV8.8 will be wider than the front with out spacers and this may limit options in the future.

F150 9 inch -pending more inspection.

A few bites of information that may help:
Mustang GTs from 1985 on all have 8.8s with 28 spline posi carriers.

If my memory serves me the axel flange will allow you to flip brakes.

Mustangs have 4 wheel disks from around 2000 up.

Only Cobras have 31 spline carriers

A lot of quality 8.8 parts are available from FordRacing.com

Mosier makes economical 9" housings.

8.8 gears can ususally be changed without changng the setup if you reuse the spacer under the pinion bearing, and the crush collar and the carrier spacers and use a Ford ring and pinion. Ford tolerances are very close. Just tighten the pinion nut short of crushing the collar further and use loctite.

Mustang axels to 1995 were 4 bolt flange.

It's been about 5 years since I've worked on one of these so my memory may be getting moe faulty every day.

LouisianaZJ
07-26-2005, 11:06 AM
[quote=Mtn WJ]Thanks Corey I might just do Only Cobras have 31 spline carriers .

the newer cobra's have IRS, i forget what year they switched to IRS

Choctaw Bob
07-26-2005, 11:10 AM
[quote=Mtn WJ]Thanks Corey I might just do Only Cobras have 31 spline carriers .

the newer cobra's have IRS, i forget what year they switched to IRS

It must have been around 2000 because I remember it happening before I quit racing street Mustangs and concentrated on the pro cars.