PDA

View Full Version : Lift installation

shortys ZJ
07-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I am installing a 3.5" RE lift on my ZJ. What is the easiest way to remove old front coils and insert the new ones? Should I borrow a spring compressor? I got the rear done no problem.

bill~ns
07-20-2005, 06:48 PM
No need for spring compressors. Jack the jeep up by the frame, and let the axle droop, place a jack under it. To make it the easiest, disconnect the shocks, and sway bar links (more for room than anything). Pull the bumpstops out, and unbolt the retaining cup. Unbolt the spring clamp.

That should do it... the stock one should damn near fall out, and with the possible help of a couple prybars and a hammer.. the new spring should fit right in.

If by some chance you still have problems, unbolt the trackbar at one end. It is very easy to bolt back up once the jeep is on the ground, by moving the steering wheel back and forth.

Remember to support the axle whenever you are removing the TB, shocks, links..etc. Don't want it under load when you unbolt.

Bill

XLSLC
07-20-2005, 07:15 PM
x2. When I installed my 3.5" lift, I had to disconnect the front driveshaft or else it hit the stock skid plate when the axle drooped. You could also remove the skid plate. Just don't find out about this the hard way.

Oh, I also disconnected the brakes from the rotors so the lines weren't an issue when I was putting in the new coils. Nothing I said is necessary, but it helped.

:weedman:

bill~ns
07-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Ah yes... forgot about the flex lines/abs lines... did the same... makes it easier since that's the side you're going to put the springs in.

Also... if you do remove the cup/bumpstop, don't forget to put them inside the spring BEFORE you reinstall. I usually wire them up inside the coil.

Bill

shortys ZJ
07-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try!