PDA

View Full Version : Noob question! (coil springs)

8WR_ZJ
07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
What are the differences b/w a ZJ front coil spring and an XJ front coil Spring? This spring information seem to be hard to find! Thanks for any help.

XLSLC
07-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Length and probably rigidity. I know a set of front coils from a v8 ZJ can net over 5" on an XJ. Springs primarily differ because of the varying wieghts of the vehicles they have to support. If you're wondering wether they're the same diameter coil, etc., ZJ coils can go in XJs and vice versa. Obviously you wouldn't want to put an XJ front coil in a ZJ though, since they are made to support a much lighter vehicle.

Hope that helps.

LouisianaZJ
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
aftermarket or stock?

eitherway xjs coils are about 1" shorter than advertized on a ZJ

not sure about those 5" zj coils on an XJ, 2" tops

nate
07-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Yup what LA ZJ said.

ATL ZJ
07-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Hmm... I am running the 3.5" RE coils that Kevin sends with his LA kit in my front. Raised spring perches on the axle and .75" spacers up top for around 6" total. Are these springs actually softer since they're supposed to be used in the rear? My front end is really really soft.

nathaniel
07-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Hmm... I am running the 3.5" RE coils that Kevin sends with his LA kit in my front. Raised spring perches on the axle and .75" spacers up top for around 6" total. Are these springs actually softer since they're supposed to be used in the rear? My front end is really really soft.

Those coils are used because only rk :poke: makes 7" rear zj coils. Better alternative so that the rear is a little stiffer anyways. They are actually 3.5 xj front coils and i think are used as 3" front zj coils as well. Its better to have a softer front than rear anyways.

mine is softer in the rear and I hate it. re 4.5+BB=6" Very floppy in the rear.

OverkillZJ
07-21-2005, 12:44 AM

Those coils are used because only rk :poke: makes 7" rear zj coils. Better alternative so that the rear is a little stiffer anyways. They are actually 3.5 xj front coils and i think are used as 3" front zj coils as well. Its better to have a softer front than rear anyways.

RK springs aren't bad, haven't seen a bad experience about them yet. I'm running RE front 3.5" springs int he rear, netted me 7" at first, has sagged to ~ 6 when unloaded, 5 when fully loaded for a week of camping / wheeling / breaking crap :weedman:

nate
07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm very happy with my RK springs, and I'm not talking just at the Mall.

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4831&stc=1

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4838&stc=1

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4841&stc=1

Thanks to my buddy Curtis for those pics.[/url]

JeepinHank
07-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Pics no workie...

I've got some old sagged Rancho 3" front springs in the rear, and front RE 4.5" ZJ springs up front. The Rancho 3" springs in the rear make the ZJ sit maybe 3/4" higher back there than the RE 4.5" fronts. I haven't gotten it out on the road yet though, so I'm sure they'll settle a bit.

nathaniel
07-21-2005, 11:52 AM

RK springs aren't bad, haven't seen a bad experience about them yet. I'm running RE front 3.5" springs int he rear, netted me 7" at first, has sagged to ~ 6 when unloaded, 5 when fully loaded for a week of camping / wheeling / breaking crap :weedman:

RK springs aren't bad necessarily but the company in general sucks. Only known problem that I know of is that their WJ springs in the rear keep the complete factory rake in so the rear is about 3" higher than the front when you lift one.

For anyone buying their wj springs get the 8" fronts and 6" rears or it will sit redicously(sp) tall in the rear.

OverkillZJ
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
[quote="nathaniel"]

RK springs aren't bad necessarily but the company in general sucks. quote]

I think everyone knows my feelings about RockKrap

8WR_ZJ
07-21-2005, 11:33 PM
thanks for the information. thats what i needed to know!