PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Pro Comp MTs

JeepinHank
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I've got a line on a set of Pro Comp MTs (35 x 12.50-R15) for a pretty good price. They're practically new with very little mileage on them.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I've got one buddy that has run a set of these exact tires, and he didn't get very many miles out of the them. However, his front end was a little out of alignment, and he didn't keep them rotated, so that's probably not the best experience to go by.

They will be for my ZJ which, aside from the occasional trip to/from the trail or putting around town, is pretty much going to be trail only.

Not too concerned with ride quality or noise. Mostly interested in their performance offroad. What do you guys think?

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
IMHO they perform OK, wear a lil' poorly, but have the worst sidwalls in the world. My brother keps slicing them up left and right. The price might be right though.

5.2Krawler
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I have them in 31's and some of my friends have them in 35's. They are a bit softer than a BFG MT so they don't get quite as much milage as a BFG but mine has been wearing very decent. They work real good on the east coast where I wheel.

JeepinHank
07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
The price is definitely right. I'm looking at about $10 more per tire than I could get re-treads from high-tek retreading (shipped of course). Its looking like it will be worth the 2hr road trip to pick them up.

I hate to hear the sidewalls aren't good. I'm pretty rough on sidewalls. He did get them from 4wph, so maybe I can get that life time "no questions asked" warranty transferred over. :smt083

Jim311
07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
http://www.jeepcrew.com/gallery/albums/album25/Untitled_25fg.jpg

Crappy tires. They used to be at least a fair deal because they were SO cheap.. you could generally get 4 for the price of 3 BFGs, but now they're actually MORE expensive than the BFGs from some places. Big fucking ripoff. If you buy them, make sure to get that 4 wheel parts "no questions asked" warranty on it, because you'll be needing it. Weak ass sidewalls. My friend blew 3 Xterrains at Tellico as well. We've been to 4 wheel parts to replace 10 Pro Comp tires so far. But hey.. what's the worst that could happen with cheap tires, you know? It's not like they could leave you stranded... oh wait..

JeepinHank
07-20-2005, 12:06 AM
That's what the trailer is for! :mrgreen:

I don't know... Still debating the whole deal. I've seen some of the Xterrains go through some shit. Then again, that's a hell of a puncture in that pic. I know you get what you pay for, but the ZJ has been relegated to trails and around town driving. Right now, I can't justify dropping $180-200 bucks / tire on a rig that'll see less than 2k miles a year. Hell, its July and so far, its seen ZERO.

Jim311
07-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Well shit, if you blow it and there's no warranty, you're out 200 bucks and you haven't really saved any money, have you? I haven't seen any punctures on these tires other than sidewall punctures, which aren't repairable. In that pic I could stick my thumb all the way through the sidewall. I actually saw one get torn 8-10 inches in an arc right where the sidewall and tread meet. It was like somebody took a razor knife and just tried to cut out the sidewall. I've not been impressed.

forexfour
07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
They are not that great of a tire as noted, to loud as well.

FinlayZJ
07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Poop Comp

or

Pro Crap

Take your pick......

They are overpriced for what they are, and 4wheelparts around here has a buy 3 get 1 free deal every other week to sell them to pimple faced high school kids with 3" body lifts.

Jim311
07-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Poop Comp

or

Pro Crap

Take your pick......

They are overpriced for what they are, and 4wheelparts around here has a buy 3 get 1 free deal every other week to sell them to pimple faced high school kids with 3" body lifts.

Yup, cuz anyone else knows that you can get a set of 4 BFG MTs for less than you can get the 3+1 Pro Crap deal.

Tommy
07-29-2005, 06:58 AM
with procomps get X's. I ran mine for some time and they were good tires. But IMO you should get boggers. By far the best tires I have had on the rig so far.

Jim311
07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
We flatted three X terrains at Tellico too. It's the same carcass, just different tread.

frankenstang57
08-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Crappy tires. Who makes them for Pro Comp? Isn't it like Kelly Springfield or someone? I was shopping around a little bit recently and the 4-wheelwhosale, they wanted $10 less per tire for the P-C's than the BFG MT's. The sales guy said they had better side walls than the BFG's too. Not! :smt018

Jim311
08-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Crappy tires. Who makes them for Pro Comp? Isn't it like Kelly Springfield or someone? I was shopping around a little bit recently and the 4-wheelwhosale, they wanted $10 less per tire for the P-C's than the BFG MT's. The sales guy said they had better side walls than the BFG's too. Not! :smt018

Not a chance. I'm not a big fan of BFGs, but I think they're worth what they charge for them. They're certainly a better tire than Pro Comps. I can't believe what they're trying to charge for those fucking tires now. At least before they were CHEAP so you could justify the weak sidewalls. You can't say that anymore.

JeepinHank
08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I ended up getting (5) 35x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. They have a little better than 80% of their tread left. The best part about it - Got them for $5 more per tire. Mounted them this weekend. The guy I bought them from had them stored laying flat, so I had trouble getting them to balance, but I'll try to get that taken care of this upcomming weekend.

I know they're still not an interco tire, but I think they'll do well.

DougMangi
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
pro comp is shit shit shitty shittles....i HATE my tires... i went to paragon and split 3... yes THREE sidewalls in 2 days.... i have a set of 33" TSL radials comming... and these pro craps are going to the tire fire

zjoe
10-13-2005, 07:41 AM
pro comp is shit shit shitty shittles....i HATE my tires...
Dood...how do you really feel about your tires? Come on, let it out, you'll feel better!

Tommy
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Not a chance. I'm not a big fan of BFGs, but I think they're worth what they charge for them. They're certainly a better tire than Pro Comps. I can't believe what they're trying to charge for those fucking tires now. At least before they were CHEAP so you could justify the weak sidewalls. You can't say that anymore.

I must have not been trying hard enough then. Had my the 35"X down to 9 psi no problem. When i took them off to start this build i gave them to my buddy with an F150. This thing usually cups tires in no time and they have yet to cup. I personally have no complaints. Plus buy 3 get one free.

Jim311
10-13-2005, 07:11 PM
I must have not been trying hard enough then. Had my the 35"X down to 9 psi no problem. When i took them off to start this build i gave them to my buddy with an F150. This thing usually cups tires in no time and they have yet to cup. I personally have no complaints. Plus buy 3 get one free.

Where do you wheel? What does cupping have to do with flatting them all the time? It's the sidewalls that are weak, not the tread portion of the tire. Plus, even after the buy 3 get 1 free deal you aren't much ahead of a set of BFGs, if you're ahead at all.