PDA

View Full Version : LA Question

mybigredjeep
07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey guys let me introduce myself im Jeremy i am a newie to long arms and to this forum but not new to my zj and other boards. Currently i have 3.5 lift on it. I did it all myself I was thinking of doing long arms in the near future. What should i be looking for in a long arm kit? should it be bolt on? should it be Weld on? what brand should i get? please any comments are welcome and pics of different set ups would be even better. i was thinking of going with the RockKrawler kit........what does everyone think of this kit let me know.

JEremy :supz:

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
You're either a troll, or really not going to like your stay here... Normally I'm one of the few giving a warm welcome, but I'd highly suggest hightailing it to http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Don't worry about it noob, you only pissed Matt off cuz you're thinking about the RockKrawler kit and Matt hates RK more than Hitler hated Jews.

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM
rustys makes a pretty sweet bolt on kit [/sarcasm]

bolt on > weld on its stronger according to crusty's [/sarcasm]

:axe: :axe:

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
rustys makes a pretty sweet bolt on kit

bolt on > weld on its stronger according to crusty's

:axe: :axe:

Don't do it... don't do it... don't do it....

atleast give it a [/sarcasm]tag before you confuse the ignorants :weedman:

mybigredjeep
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
OK so any suggestions from you guys?

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
no

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Clayton's.

That is all.

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Before you go blowing your wad on long arms, why do you feel the need to go with long arms? Are you ready for all of the other things that you'll need to do if you go with long arms?

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
claytons> *.*

re is ok, but its overpriced
rk i guess could be made to work with a custom fabbed reinforcing subframe

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Before you go blowing your wad on long arms, why do you feel the need to go with arms? Are you ready for all of the other things that you'll need to do if you go with long arms?

he knows whats up, he siad he is not new to zj's [/sarcasm]

mybigredjeep
07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
what other things would i need to know i was told with my 3.5 inch coils and i wanted to add 2 inch pucks that it would be to much for my lca arms .......originally i wwanted to get adj. lower control arms and just add two inch pucks........but.........i was told that was no good and i should start looking at la kits. right now i know nothing is there a thread or something i can read to educate myself on them?

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
What size tire do you plan on running with 6.5" of lift?? Please say at least a 35" You DO NOT need that much lift for a 33. You can fit 33's where you're at now. If you're going to 35's, how is your gearing? Are your axles strong enough to withhold 35's? How's your steering gonna do? Are you going to have to get your driveshafts shortened or lengthened? Can your current steering set up live up to the task of 35's?

mybigredjeep
07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
i was going to do 33s at first and then get 35s

Kraqa
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
i would fit 3s's right now with the lift you have trim a bit of your fenders and then when you feel the need to go 35's then do LA's

LA's are nto a cheep investment. Usually you go LA's then find otu that the capabilities and tire size will snap axles you then your forced with the desision of what axles to swap in.

Definatly Claytons LA's are the best or the new rock control guys. The thing with claytons is that you still need to buy springs break lines and shocks. I would not recomend building your own. If your askign these questions then yoru obviously not educated or experienced enough to address all the issues of fabbing them.

Look into Claytons Kit.

and look as far away from rock crawler as you can.

nate
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah long arms aren't cheap. I mean the kits are too bad, but they figure all teh extra stuff and it's just crazy. You'll need a 2nd job just for the Jeep stuff.

Jcbzj
07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I was running a 5.5" short arm lift for a while with adjustable f/r lowers and rear uppers..it was terrible, I was wandering, death wobbling and breaking shit all over the place. Before you get long arms make sure this is something you REALLY want to do. The $$$ really does add up quick

SCAMPER ZJ
07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
'Sup, Jeremy - welcome! The other members aren't kidding when they say you've dug yourself a money pit if you go with LA's. You'll also be losing a lot of street performance. But then again, most people who go with LA's don't really care about that anymore (or at least we pretend we don't :mrgreen: )!

A lot of the guys at MallCrawlin' run the Claytons and speak very highly of them. I personally run the KevinsOffroad (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com) LA kit, and have run it successfully on some pretty difficult trails. I highly recommend looking into both of them, and speaking with both places. Kevin's a great guy too, you'll learn a lot talking with him.

If you want to see what some of the other mods are you'll be getting yourself into (many out of necessity, REALLY) go check out my build history at jeepsite.net (http://www.jeepsite.net), and PM me with any questions. Either way, let us know what you decide to do!

OverkillZJ
07-27-2005, 10:34 PM
also be losing a lot of street performance.

Say what?

SCAMPER ZJ
07-27-2005, 11:44 PM
also be losing a lot of street performance.

Say what?

Oh, you know. . .

Higher center of gravity making turning on the streets a little more interesting with a TISH more body roll on the trail (not to mention making doing donuts with Dave all the more dangerous!). . .the heavy duty sway bars help, if they're connected :mrgreen:

LA's=bigger tires=slower acceleration (4.56's / 4.88's help A LOT, just ask the Exploder I left in the dust today)

My ZJ weighs a bit more now with sliderz, bumper, skid plate, bigger axles, roof rack, tools. . .and anything else from wheelin' I forget to take out

Detroit in the rear (because the ECTED busted) causing pedestrians to jump and small cars to swerve out of the way when I BARK and SCREECH rounding corners (this actually goes in the PLUS column, great for downtown Denver) :smt082

Swapping my 249 soccer-mom t-case out when the front bearing went bad (EASY now, I'm not saying it isn't durable for you viscous-coupling buffs out there, I really liked it actually, it was SMOOTH) and only having PART-TIME 4-wheel from the 231 w/SYE (going from the luxurious all-time 4-wheel to rear wheel with a LOCKER - ACK, should have waited for a 242)

Does anyone here think the ride gets quieter with 35" MT/R's? Not that I'm complaining, but sometimes the wife mentions it

Learned through experience that CV's are not as tough as u-joints - I noticed a change in the steering after that swap. I hear steering box upgrades, particulary hydro, make it even more fun (let's hope the brace holds things in place)

OK, so not all of it is necessarily DIRECTLY related to going with LA's, but persons contemplating making the leap might like to know they're headed that direction (although one could make the argument that you're better off NOT knowing)! You know, like marijuana being an entry-level drug (or so I'm told). Can I have an AMEN?

Ah, but street performance is so subjective. Besides, you gotta love the articulation!!:smt025

http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB0097.jpg
http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB6303.jpg

OverkillZJ
07-28-2005, 12:03 AM
[quote=SCAMPER ZJ]also be losing a lot of street performance.

Say what?

Of course I love the flex, especially when it's a picture of MY RIG! LOL

Really though, I wouldn't say that my ZJ lost much streetability. The detroit only squeels if I power through a turn, the tires don't vibrate until 80, the Addco's make it drive like a car, and the gears keep it accelerating like stock. All the problems you listed or from mods that you don't really need LA's to do, but I get your point of the slippery slope argument :weedman:

BMRisko
07-28-2005, 12:06 AM
[quote=SCAMPER ZJ]also be losing a lot of street performance.

Say what?

Really though, I wouldn't say that my ZJ lost much streetability. The detroit only squeels if I power through a turn, the tires don't vibrate until 80, the Addco's make it drive like a car, and the gears keep it accelerating like stock. All the problems you listed or from mods that you don't really need LA's to do, but I get your point of the slippery slope argument :weedman:

Matt, that rear bumper rocks, where is it from?

:finga:

OverkillZJ
07-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Matt, that rear bumper rocks, where is it from?

:finga:

I sense so much sarcasm that I feel I need to finally build my tube benders as a cage starting point :weedman:

SCAMPER ZJ
07-28-2005, 12:24 AM
I get your point of the slippery slope argument :weedman:

Slippery slope, chain-reaction. . . :mrgreen:

I thought you might like that, Matt! That was a fun trail. Wish we could have spent a little more time on GBR though, there are a couple of fun play areas there. Check out this (very) short clip from a couple weeks earlier: Gold Bar Rim, small ledge (http://www.jeepsite.net/Gold%20Bar%20Rim%20-%20just%20a%20quick%20hop_1315653.mpg)

Unfortunately I don't have digital, and I'm still awaiting the video from Golden Spike. I know I got some stuff of you, I'll let you know when I get it.

Stan