PDA

View Full Version : is a steering box supposed to do this??

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2005, 12:49 AM
So I was trying to narrow down a weird click/clunk in my steering the other night and narrowed it down to the shaft that comes out of the steering box that the pitman arm attaches to, the sector shaft I believe. When turning the wheel, this shaft moves like it is bent, as in visible side to side motion as well as rotational. I was under Pam's ZJ tonight checking for a clunk from hers thats developed since the BB install and hers does the same freakin thing! So do we have two busted steering boxes or are they supposed to that??

And I apologize eternally for this dumbass newb question, but Matt didn't know the answer either!! :finga:

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Ya, but I was drunk when you asked, and we all know my Jeeps a piece of shit so I shouldn't even bother seeing if my box does that.

LouisianaZJ
07-19-2005, 02:03 AM
mine has a little bit of play in it. does not make noise though

so no, it is not SUPPOSED to do that, but it will eventually wear and get sloppy

Jim311
07-19-2005, 07:04 AM
it will eventually wear and get sloppy

That's why I'm afraid of getting married.

nathaniel
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
No it isn't supposed to do that . the bearings are bad reason you havent had a problem yet is because its double sealed so it wont leak until its real bad.