PDA

View Full Version : ARB Air locker and gear install questions.

Tommy
07-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Finally had a day to tear down the rear and attempt ot get my gears and ARB installed. I had a couple questions, this is my first attempt at installing an ARB.

Is it normal for the the pinion gear to be so much smaller than the stock one? I went from 4.10's to 5.38's and I can't get the back lash right. It has way to much. The instructions say .50 mm is acceptable and I have way more. I have the carrier set way to the right with only the master shim in and the ring side shimmed totally up and I can't get it right. I screwed with the pinion depth some but it doesn't seem to be coming together quite right. I feel like I used way to many shims. I need to take a pictuire but the differnce in size of the pinion gears is substantial . I was getting a little frustrated so I had to just walk away for the day. Any suggestions? I wish I had my camera with me.

LouisianaZJ
07-18-2005, 12:27 AM
yes as you get into low ass gears like that the pinion is tiny

what kinda axle is it? if it is like a d44 it is going to be fairely small

dont know much about the gear install. does the pinion have any markings on it like numbers. i think that has to do with setting the initial pinion depth or so i have read

JpRngr
07-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Tommy,
Sounds like you got the wrong carrier or gears. Sounds like you got a carrier for the higher ratio(i.e. stock gears) rather than the lower(5.38's) ratio carrier. The lower ratio one moves the ring gear closer to the smaller pinion. Either that or you need a thick gear set for your set-up.

Did that make sense?

Corey

Tommy
07-18-2005, 12:09 PM
The ARB I got is for 4.56 and higher. It is the only locker they make for this DAMN 32 spline D60 rear. I am thinking that i am going to need a thicker gearset. The gearset i got from PeakZJ is 5.38's for D60. Corey from what i gather, they make different thicknesses for the gear sets? i wonder if ARB specifies a specific gearset to use with their carrier. it seems like the past few projects i have done, have not gone as smooth as i would have liked.

Tommy
07-18-2005, 12:12 PM
The things is though i am positive it is the right carrier. it says it on the box and the stock gears will not bolt up to it. it has to be the gears set then. :smt021

Tommy
07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/XGI.PDF

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Details, details.

Tommy
07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
HMMMMMMM

JeepinHank
07-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Let PeakZJ know. He's a stand up guy, and will get you taken care of.

I know he helped me out when I bought the full spool for my 8.8, then realized that I was a dumbass and I'd need to get c-clip eliminators to run it. From what I had read, the c-clip eliminators are only recommended for drag strip use cause they don't stand up to side loads, so that kinda defeated the purpose of installing it in a 4x4. He exchanged the stuff, and then reminded me of the credit I had with him after I had completely forgotten about it. That could have been free money for him.

I know he'll be getting my business in the future, plus anyone I can't point in his direction.

Good luck, and congrats on your new-found beef(ier) axle!!! :smt003

JpRngr
07-19-2005, 03:21 PM
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/XGI.PDF

So am I missing something here? What'd you figure out?

Corey

Tommy
07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah Corey. It turns out the rear is D70. So the ARB and gear set is wrong. I am trying to work out something with PeakZJ, but I feel he is a tad over dealing with me. initialy i had planned on running spools. So i ordered dual spools and 5.38 gears. Come to find out dodge put this funky 32 spline axle shafts and the 30 splie spools no worky. So i called him up and we worked out exchanging the spools for ARB's front and rear. hey a good deal for both of us. PeakZJ made more money and i got on board air as well. Well i recieved the ARB's and finally went to install the lockers and gearsets. Then come to find out that I had way to much backlash. I rechecked the axle tag ID's and found it was D70. PeakZJ has been great. it is is hard to deal with another person with regards to a business transaction over the internet. It it easy to read e-mails out of context. So now we have a dilemma. The front may be 32 splie as well. it was an option in 94+ D60's and the ARb's i have are 1 30 spline RD21 front for Dodge 75+ and 1 32 spline ARB for 94+ dodge 2500/3500 front 60. i am hoping that the front is the 32 spline front and i can just exchnage the Rd21. I don't mind paying a restocking fee, as I somewhat to blame for the rear fuck up. The only thing I a bummed about is the cash. I have learned my lesson and when it comes to stuff like this i will be purchasing the parts locally. I would rather deal with somebody face to face rather than over the internet. Especially when issues like this arise, because e-mails can be read out of context. Plus it is just taking to damn long to get this piece of shit done. I do want to say that i appreciate PeakZJ's help, even if this doesn't work out in a way which is going to be beneficial to myself.