PDA

View Full Version : Power window wiring probs

ZJake
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I have had a problem with the wiring in the driver's window for a while and I am apparently not clever enough to figure it out. Here's what I've do0n so far and I'll try to keep it short. I took the switch cluster apart and cleaned it up and I think it works fine. I took the motor out and hard wired it on the ground and it was crap so I replaced it. I put a new motor in but it would not work either so I hard wired it to the battery and it was good. Then I put it back in and tried wiring it up with a momentary on-off-on switch but I could only get it to go down. I then tried a double pole double throw switch but that was just plain craptastic.

I can lay the window motor on the ground and touch the two wires to the battery and make it go up or down by switching the wires, so I am guessing my problem when i get it in the jeep is with grounding. Anybody have similar probs or an electrical guru. I am clueless when electrical stuff goes wrong. :toimonst:

OverkillZJ
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Good chance you've got frayed wires in the the wiring harness between the door and body.

KsZJ
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Yeah... it's real common for wires to break in the door loom. I replaced 5 of them in mine. I used a more flexable wire with smaller strands. I would pull the boot back and inspect all of the wires.

ZJake
07-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Is there a type of switch I can wire directly to the motor and feed power off its own circuit. I tried the momentary on-off-on like that but I could only get it to go down. I need a switch that reverses polarity to the motor but I don't know what kind of switch I need to use. Maybe I'll just buy some clear shower curtain and some zipper and do smoe ghetto fab. :drinkers:

OverkillZJ
07-18-2005, 09:52 PM
you need a 2 position momentary and a relay if you're oing that route. Talk about ghetto.

KsZJ
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
You need two SPDT relays or a DPDT relay and a 2 way momentary switch... Or a DPDT switch.

You need both sides to rest at ground. The when the switch is moved one way, it applies positive to one side while the other side stays ground.. and the other way around.

With the SPDT relays and a 2 way momentary... #30 on one relay goes to one side of the motor... the #30 on the other relay goes to the other side. On both relays: 87a goes to ground... 87 and 85 go to positive. Wire 86 on each relay to a side of the momentary switch. Hook the center of the switch to ground....

You now have a reversing polarity setup.

This can be done more easily with a 2 way momentary DPDT switch as well...

JpRngr
07-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Umm...why don't you do what the first 2 posts said and FIX THE DAMN WIRES IN THE DOOR JAM? :finga:

ZJake
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
This can be done more easily with a 2 way momentary DPDT switch as well...

I tried the DPDT momentary but I couldnt get it to work right. At all that is, it kept shorting out. I think. Its been awhile since I messed with it. I'll try it again soon. Thanks for the input though.

Maybe I shoulda FIXED THE DAMN WIRES IN THE DOOR. :smt003

Im a slacker.