PDA

View Full Version : slight squeek from engine + loose serp belt, 4.0L

LouisianaZJ
07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
4.0L
135k, looks like WP has been replaced before

ok over the past 6 months the serp belt has been squeeling bad if i cut the AC on when the engine is cold. I replaced the idler pully on the drivers side and the belt and it worked pretty good for a while. but i have to keep tightening it more every other month. am i just not making it ight enough the first time (i make it pretty tight, less than 1/2" deflection pulling on the belt between ps pump and water pump

just recently i have been hearing a faint chirp (like a pully starting to go out) at highway sppeds

question is can the water pump be going out (NO leakage visiible out of the wp weep hole, and cooling is great) or the PS pump going out? (NO PS whine or leakage from pump)

ZJake
07-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Mine has the same faint chirp but I think its the idler pulley. It's been chirping for a wile and doesnt seem to get any worse so I dont worry bout it. My water pump did start chirping one time but before I could drive the few miles to my house, it seized and trew the belt and i had to be towed. So if it starts to chirp it might not chirp long. Chirp's a real weird werd after you use it 20 times. :smt003