PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on if it is worth keeping my ZJ

Cue-Ball
07-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Okay as most of you know I have been building, well collecting parts for a while do do long arms and axles swaps. You may also have read in my members journal about my recent tranny problems, and the fact I need to replace the tranny.

So I now have to ask myself (well you all also I guess).

Do I keep it and put another $4K into a tranny, knowing I still have about $1000-1500 to complete the long arms and axle swaps.

And knowing that there are 168,xxx miles on my 4.0 so that will need to probably get rebuilt in the not to distant future (will go with a stroker anyway since I need a bit more umph with the 35's I have).

Or do I pull the plug, cut my loses, sell my axles, and all the parts I have stored in the shed for the long arms and buy a small commuter car?

deadman
07-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I would sell the 4.0 and buy a 98 ZJ with a 360 or 318. Then build that one.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2005, 04:20 PM
The problem is that I have put alot of time/money into this one and I will end up loosing alot to sell it. I know that you NEVER get back what you spent on a Jeep don't get me wrong, but I put all of the stuff into it with the plan of building it up, and I just hate to loose out so much.

I am trying to take the emotion out of the equasion and think about this logically.

I think another option might be to sell the axles and get a small commuter car and just park the Jeep for a while.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
well if you take emotion out of the equation like you say then yes you should cut your losses and get a commuter car. but obviously its something you like so why would you give away all your work and your hobby?

My 4.0 has around 90K miles and my tranny is going but its always better to keep it then have a $300/month car payment. Youre going to have alot for vehicles either way you look at it no matter what you drive.

Just keep it Dirk, and meet me in Moab next summer.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Elliot,

Right this minute that is still my plan. I am actually going to try the ghetto JB weld to see if I can seal up the hole to get by for now.

I am also going to be talking with Wayne again on Monday to see if we can bring the tranny price down more too help out with the sticker shock as it were.

Don't forget I have a wife and two kids I have to support as well as my Jeep hobby, and you are ABSOLUTELY it is not just a vehicle but a hobby also.

Dirk

LouisianaZJ
07-16-2005, 05:39 PM
i would try to get in on a low miles ZJ (or even an XJ) not beat to shit, buy it, swap the mods, and sell the old ZJ as is for a few grand to re-coupe costs

ATL ZJ
07-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Sounds like you're questioning mainly the expense. There are cheaper trannies than FOUR thousand dollar ones. That is top of the pyramid. If it means losing or keeping your jeep, you might have to settle for something slightly less than the ultimate this time.

You could find a pull a part yard and get a tranny for $50 bucks... If it works, great, if not... it's worth twice what you bought it for as a core, and can be used as a bargaining chip at a tranny rebuild shop. I've gotten full tranny rebuilds here for $300 plus a few parts at cost.. From a tranny tech at a Jeep stealer who will do work on the side for considerably less than shop labor rate.

I'm with puma on this all the way though- it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.

Jim311
07-16-2005, 08:26 PM
it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.

Quoted fo da troof.

Cue-Ball
07-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Yea I understand that, and really I did not think if it as a hobby in this instance, I was just looking at the dollars. You are right the $4k tranny is on the upper end of the scale, I will be talking with the tranny builder Monday to see what we can build that is still beefy but not as far up on the food chain.

TrojanMan
07-16-2005, 11:51 PM
AW4 out of a 96+ cherokee will probably hold anything you throw at it.

Nordic1
07-17-2005, 01:53 AM
An APS trans is plenty beef. I would say, save up, build the trans and do it right. And if you really have wheeling fever, I'm going to HH on the 30th, Rubicon 20th of next month and probably another HH between the two trips so if you want to ride/drive with me, you're more than welcome to.

JpRngr
07-17-2005, 01:59 AM
$4K for a tranny for a GC?????? A built to the hilt transmission for my PowerStroke is $3500! What the hell?? Is the thing made out of Platinum????

For a Jeep you're considering selling as an option, a junk yard transmission would definitely be your best option. Then maybe buy a cheap commuter car with the $3500+ that you would save over doing the full bling tranny.

Corey

Colorado 5.9
07-17-2005, 02:35 AM
I agree with Corey. Spending $4000 on an APS tranny that's built for 500 or 600hp is insane for a Grand that will be 4wheeled & powered by a 4.0ltr. Even if it was stroked that's WAY too much transmission for what you have. Just get a rebuilt tranny & spend some of those dollers on an Atlas T-case. That will do you way more good for what you'll be doing.

Cue-Ball
07-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys, all valid points.

What I am going to try is some JB weld to see if I can stop the leak, if that works than GREAT (I had not even thought of that before). I am still planning on an APS tranny. It is not built for 500-600HP, the two options I am looking at are 300HP or 410HP.

It is basically the guys from a 44RE put into a 43RE housing so it will bolt on. Then an overdrive housing from a 5.9L Dodge Ram, extra thick for less chance of cracking.

But if I can put that off untill after my long arms are in then that would be the best.

I do plan to run either an Atlas or a STaK transfercase.

Anyway, thanks again guys I really do appreciate the feedback.

yardape52
07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Agreed with everything above that its a hobby and hobbies cost. In the for what its worth department I just bought a used 96 ZJ w/4.0 and 100K on it in cherry condition for $5800. It already has a budget lift as well as many other properly installed aftermarket parts. The tranny was rebuilt for $2500 2 years ago and I live in the Washington, DC area which is a very pricey neck of the woods.

All this is to say that there are alot of ways to spend money but $4000 for one component, a transmission, to me is alot considering your other options. The other thing I wasn't clear about from your post is wether or not this is your daily driver. I bought the ZJ because my lifted XJ was no longer a vehicle that I considered safe for my child. It has no rear headrests. Since the XJ was paid off a long time ago I decided to keep it as my hobby car and buy the ZJ for safe, reliable transportation. Having the second car has really put my mind at ease because now if I have a car failure, life doesn't stop till I get it fixed.

I guess the long and short of it is go get yourself some reliable transportation that does not guzzle gas like our Jeeps and keep the ZJ to work on in your leisure where you're not pressured into any decision that you're not ready to make. It works for me.

Cue-Ball
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Okay just to let you all know the status.

I am keeping the Jeep, I am going to try some JB Weld on the hole this weekend to get me through the next few months until I can replace the tranny.

This is my DD.

paulkeith
07-26-2005, 08:51 AM
hey man, there is a remote chance that tranny i had might be available. i'll let you know. guy is coming to look at my pile tonight.

i faced the same thing you are/were facing. i'm putting about 140 mi/day on a 175k vehicle, and have worked on it literally every weekend since may. $$ on parts, tons of time. just a pain in the ass. i decided it was basically now or never to sell it, as far as making a little money back. i've got my project buggy to satiate my offroad needs (which i haven't had any time for because of my piece). decided a purpose built trail rig would elimnate all the pita aspects of a dd/trail combo vehicle. I decided to sell my zj and hunt a e36 m3. fast as hell, rel. cheap, and hi20smpg on the interstate

to each his own, its an expensive but awesome hobby. the commute was busting my balls though, i had to do something...$50 at the pump every 2 days was breaking the bank.

Paul

zjeepin
07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
so i came to a similar juncture with my rig. I had all my materials and axles for longarms ect when the auto started going out for the second time. I knew i had too much money tied up in my plans for longarms and axles so i decided to do the manual swap. I did the swap for about a 1K (and alot of time) and haven't regretted it.

Its just a thought I haven't seen presented yet. Good luck dude :partyman:

nate
07-27-2005, 02:22 PM
You guys that DD your ZJs :supz:

I think the hardest thing to do is build an off road rig that is still streetable. It's the most expensive way too.

Dirk, $4000 for a tranny is riduculous. I had the tranny in my CTD torn apart (47RE), it didn't need a full rebuild, but we thought it would. I was quoted $1500-1600 for a full rebuild. That is with Alaska labor rates being $75 an hour and I drop my truck off and they call me when it's ready to drive home.

Kraqa
07-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I got my TF999 of ebay for 175.00 in near pefict condition. and the TF999 is more tranny then i shoudl need with the 4.0 and 40's.
Even if you can't get the newer version with te sensor in the bell housing for 200 US to ge tthe relocating braket it is still 3100 cheeper then your APC tranny.

Cue-Ball
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Okay quick update. I am KEEPING the Jeep.

I am NOT getting a new tranny right now, I will be attempting to fix the hole with some JB Weld this weekend (wanted to get to it last weekend but got stuck at work all weekend).

But this Sat. the JB Weld goes on and I will let it sure all weekend and see if it stops the leak when I drive to work on Monday.

Also you guys must remeber that it is $4000 for a custom build V8 version tranny not a stock I6 tranny that I was looking at. I will continue looking at replacing the tranny when I do a stroker but hopefully the JB Weld will get me by for now.