PDA

View Full Version : Bootie Fab at its finest

LouisianaZJ
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
what kinda ass backwards shit is rustys putting out?
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OTK01&Catego ry_Code=ste

http://rustysoffroad.com/media/steering/otk02.jpg

:weedman:

OverkillZJ
07-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Another quality Crusty's product... Heims in steering on street rigs, and single sheer with 3" of leverage on a d30 knuckle.
BRILLIANT! :weedman: :finga:

:toimonst:

Truthfully it'll probably work fine, doesn't mean I'd do it!

LouisianaZJ
07-13-2005, 10:27 PM
meh mabey. im not really all that concerened about them being heims, but the 3" of leverage like you said. I would not be surprised after a few hard wheeling trips that bolt would break, or hopefully for the driver just bend

ATL ZJ
07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
I bet I could manage to break that with enough go pedal, wheelhop, and beer.

OverkillZJ
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Man, he annoys me almost as much as RK:

Due to the thinness of the Jeep unibody, we've designed our long-arm kits to be completely bolt-on. Although it is possible to weld to the unibody, the longevity of the weld in questionable. The unibody is only 16 guage (.060 in.) and the heat of a weld stresses the thin metal. The weld may not crack but the unibody around it may. The unibody is welded from the factory, however, robot controlled welding is done complete with heat sensors creating welds much more exact than a human is capable of. Our bolt-on systems are not only more durable but are also much easier to install. Our clamped/sleeved mounting system uses 1”x3/16” thick tubes thru the unibody which creates a larger surface area that distributes any stress over a larger area than a weld-on installation

It's like environmentalists taking partial truths and making a point with a totally different intent of fact. Oh well.

MikeyM
07-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Guys, I've always held a neutral opinion about Rusty and his stuff; his springs are decent; fixed CAs are decent but this just screams "break me!!" Me thinks I may have to rethink my Rusty's opinion.

Mike.

Tommy
07-14-2005, 01:20 AM
That shit is almost $500. =(

Jim311
07-14-2005, 07:26 AM
500 bucks for that? :rofl:

Jeepinparrothead
07-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok I have always been a Rusty's supporter. He really stands behind his stuff. I like his springs and Shocks (which I think are DT) but anyway, his fixed control are great. With that said, I think that he is trying to make things easy to install, thinking that it would sell better. It does sell better, to the rednecks in AL. He sells the piss out of his stuff. I for one know better than to buy some of his stuff. But if you go to some of the backwoods "playgrounds" that some of these rednecks go to, which really are just farms with mud pitts, they think that if you don't break something, you are not a badass offroader. The clubs that I belong to don't belive this way and know better. He is trying to sell to a different market than us and some of the sane people left in AL. Anyway, he is local, I support all local things and this is my argument. Will I run Rusty's longarms or steering, NO, but I will tell people to buy his shocks and springs. Have a good day..... :smt003

speedmontzj
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Anyway, he is local, I support all local things and this is my argument

here is another local place. ive talked to him a few times and i like his stuff. he is on pirate some to. he builds everything from bumpers to tube buggys. its not but a few minutes from rusty's place .

Frankies Offroad, full service and tubular fab
740 steele station rd rainbow city
256-413-8300

Jeepinparrothead
07-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I am going to be checking that out for sure. Thanks man

BiggerZJ
07-14-2005, 10:19 PM
he is local, I support all local things

wish we had more people with that attitude here in charleston SC. shops need local feedback on there products

Jeepinparrothead
07-15-2005, 04:10 PM
If I know of someone that is trying and is local. I will help. There are some shops that are local that will remain nameless, I will not support. Other than if I am in a pinch I will ask if they can get some work in quick. If I don't have the time. Or if they have a part I need in a pinch. Besides Rusty's is a nice guy and he will help with anything. That is all I care about someone that cares about his customers.....that is why I will indorse, SOME of his products. I think everyone should support someone local.

1996cc
07-15-2005, 05:58 PM
To me that looks like a rebadged "bullet proof steering system" from www.PerformanceUnlimited.com. They have a lot of description about it on their site. Aircraft quality and all that jazz.

doyll
07-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah! Check it out and post back please. Cus if they really is selling this setup, they're in my :toimonst: and has no credibility! If they sell this, I wouldn't trust anything they sell! :axe:

Jeepinparrothead
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
its not the same he designed it and has it made.

doyll
07-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Sorry Chris, but if that's an example of their design work, I don't wan't any part of it.

I'm no engineer, but that much leverage on a piece of cast iron isn't safe in my book and I won't buy anything from a company having anything to do with a design like that. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not stupid.... I don't think. :rolleyes: :supz:

Stretch
08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Hello All-

This is Stretch from Rusty's Offroad. I handle RustysOffroad.com and do some of Rusty's marketing. I've been trying to get around to all the forums to address any questions that people have regarding our products. I was at a meet and greet in Thornton, CO on Friday and someone there told me I should stop in here and address some of the concerns that were being posted.

There's already quite a few posts on here so I'm not going to quote specific items, this is just a few things I'd like to clear up:

We don't just sell a few 'rednecks' parts, we have distributors all around the world. We do sell to our local customers as well as the local shops. Frankie has a good small shop and sells tons of our parts. We build him these steering parts that you are saying are so dangerous. He personally runs our long arm on a TJ .

As for our OTK steering, we're going to add more information about that on the website. Hopefully that'll clear up any concerns about the strength factors. The steering links are not rocket sceince, anyone can buy the parts and build this setup on their own. We have been building them for over 20 years! We build them specifically for the Jeep vehicles so when you order it, it comes in ready to install, complete with all hardware, you dont have to hunt down this and that. It's powder coated , looks great and we will help you with anything you may run into.

I've been running this setup on my '99 XJ for over 2 years. It's my daily driver and it's got 35s and the Dana 30. I haven't had ANY problems with it. In those two years I've been to Moab twice and all over Colorado and driven at highway speeds all over Denver.

-Stretch

www.RustysOffroad.com

NOTE - The rest of this posted has been edited because it violates the vendor rules I have set forth. Defending a product is okay, and that was done, but the rest was advertising and that is not allowed without a registered vendor status.

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Trail tested tough?

Howabout you stop making crap so that I don't have to fix my brothers XJ every blasted time he offroads the thing? You're probably not going to change any opinions here, so why "pull a rockcrawler" and start searching the boards that have negative opinions on Rusty's products?

I've talked to the guy on the phone, and frankly I like him, but between the troubles I've had with his products, shipping, and overall design at times, I'll stay away, thanks.

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2005, 12:09 PM
It's still single shear, and that's scary!

Kraqa
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
lol

speedmontzj
08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
stretch, are you the one with the legends car or whatever it was. i'm still in good with the guys at cycle world i can prob hook you up.

K2
08-02-2005, 08:39 PM
This you?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/pfe40c17a212ed0e21216826b345567a7/f361dda9.jpg

Stretch
08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Not sure what Legends cars are exactly but yes, that second shot is me at Jenny Creek Trail in Colorado. And for those of you that may be concerned, the trail does actually go thru the creek on a couple of spots. I'm not just irresponsibly blazing a new trail.

-Stretch

speedmontzj
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
there was one of you guys that i talked to when i was down at your place the last time picking up some stuff. i alsom sold him some stuff when i worked a cycle world. he had a mini sprint or something with a cbr600 motor in it. i cant remember what the hell it was. i think he drives the red xj.

Stretch
08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey speedmontzj-

That's one of Rusty's son's that had that car. He recently sold it. I think the plan is to get into some sort of off-road racing. I know at some point Rusty would like to have a Trophy Truck again. We'll see. I'm actually situated out of Westminster, CO.

Thanks-Stretch

BMRisko
08-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Having that much leverage in single shear is retarded!

Kraqa
08-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't care how long you've ran that setup for.

If the titanic didn't hit an iceburg would you call it safe knowing what you know now?

luvthejeep
08-04-2005, 01:29 AM
if you just drop the tie rod below the axle and run the drag link on the top, that would be a vast improvement