PDA

View Full Version : rebuild engine?

Ryan
07-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Hello to all

my 98 has 160,000 on it. the t case is leaking fluid and the engine is leaking oil. i want to have my engine and tranny rebuilt, tcase resealed. some say scrap the motor and go long block, some say scrap the tranny and opt for new one. what are my choices and what do you guys recomend. most shops are quoting around 4000- 4500, one shop quoted 1500 just for the engine rebuild, and most shops dont pull the motor and rebuild. i have to go to 2 shops....my head hurts....

dasVettemeister
07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
First things first. You state that your engine and t-case are leaking oil, so you want to rebuild the engine and tranns. Ok, does the engine run well without USING oil? Does your transmission shift fine without slipping? It's assinine to rebuild something or discard it solely because it leaks oil. If people did that, no Ford engine would last more than 5,000 miles. You might want to consider REPLACING SOME GASKETS!!!!!!!!!!!! If there are bigger problems, well...... YOU NEVER STATED THAT! How about some more details. :butthead:

BTW --- 160,000 miles is jack-shit for a well-maintained modern engine.

Ryan
07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
yea the tranny slips. the engine totaly shuts off or studders when i turn a bit hard. the t case is whining(like you). i have to refill the tcase every other week. and at a complete stop it lurches. when i drive up steep grades on the freeway at about 75-80 the check engine light comes on and then starts to blink and the engine dies. i have to wait for about 15 min and restart it and keep going. i plan on keeping it insead of buying another car. id just like to replace everything instead of the oil pan gasket, then a week later the tcase seals, then 2 weeks later the water pump, then a month later the head gasket, then the timing chain, then the rear main seal...blah blah. its been driven a lot and pulled a lot of stuff, horse trailer, boat, trailer filled with crap, atvs, small cars....i dunno 160 for a 98...thats not alot? anywho hope thats detailed enough. and yes i understand the world doesnt stop spining just beacuse theres some oil leaking :prayer:

Ryan
07-12-2005, 07:44 PM
oh yea and when i drive down the freeway and let off the gas, it down shifts and the rpms bounce up and down, between 2 and 3000 untill i get on the gas again.

LouisianaZJ
07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
www.jeepsunlimited.com

btw you prolly need a rebult TRANSMISSION/ torque converter, some seals on the t/c and engine, and some sensors on the engine

if it uses less than 1qt/3k and has decent power the engin does not need to be replaced

Ryan
07-12-2005, 08:35 PM
gotcha, thanks

dasVettemeister
07-13-2005, 12:30 AM
yea the tranny slips. the engine totaly shuts off or studders when i turn a bit hard. the t case is whining(like you).

Time for you to go to JU as mentioned above... shit-for-brains newb.

LouisianaZJ
07-13-2005, 12:47 AM
yea the tranny slips. the engine totaly shuts off or studders when i turn a bit hard. the t case is whining(like you).

Time for you to go to JU as mentioned above... shit-for-brains newb.
5x

dasVettemeister
07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
"I dunno whether to rebuild it or throw it out, waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaa."

As the worldly Dennis Leary would say, "Shut the fawk up, NEXT!"

(I'm not really TRYING to be a dick...... it comes naturally) :smt003

Oh, and by the way ---- welcome to mallcrawlin.

Jim311
07-13-2005, 07:28 AM
If I could do the engine swap all over again I'd probably buy a long block. I'd save up the cash to be able to AFFORD one first, though.

Ryan
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
haha well sorry if my little crack got you all huffed and puffed :goodman: just looking for some exerienced opinions. :smt003 and as the worldly some guy would say "you guys are just too cool for school"

hey jim,

why go for the long?

dasVettemeister
07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
haha well sorry if my little crack got you all huffed and puffed

Hell no!!! Just the mallcrawlin way of welcoming a newb! Hopefully you get the info you need here. Rest assured none of it will be sugarcoated, and if you make the mistake of asking a stupid question we guarantee you will be verbally assaulted. :smt003

Ryan
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Sweet thanks. We do that to people who join our fight team. Give hem hell and if they ask how to block something, we just hit em harder till they learn. :axe:

Jeepinparrothead
07-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Yes a Fight Team...... :rock:

Sign me up...

Is that like a gang?

Ryan
07-13-2005, 07:24 PM
haha, no no. We have a gym where we teach thai boxing and we fight in competions againt other gyms. we just try to represent our gym and our trainers. thats our fight team. sorry no gang :mrgreen: you can check out out website www.thebudoryu.com

back on topic- ill look into getting the sensors replaced and gaskets and a rebuild on the tranny and go from there.

Jeepinparrothead
07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
My rebuilt tranny gets done on Friday, YEAH! It was orginally going to cost 700, but when they took it apart, they said.....UMMMMMM how about 1000. :finga: SO get ready to put up for a tranny. But do it right. After market cooler, shift kit, the works. Oh, and have a good mech build it.

Ryan
07-14-2005, 11:40 AM
sweet. they were quoting 1500 for a bench rebuild on the tranny. what shift kit did you go with?

Jeepinparrothead
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Trans-go

MikeyM
07-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey Ryan, good luck on your Gym thing, dude. I've got 160k on mine as well and it runs fine. Sounds like yours needs a little TLC but it's not uncommon to get over 200k easy out of these engines. Hell, I think Taz just pegged 250k last week so he's probably over that by nowl.

Good luck. Mike.

PS - when / if you decide to go with a new engine / trans, I found a tranny place online that I did quite a bit of research on and they are solid... updated, upgraded trans built considerably stronger for 1800 bucks. A solid, well built long block will run anywhere from 12-1800 bucks depending on the shop.

M.

ZJake
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
if it uses less than 1qt/3k and has decent power the engin does not need to be replaced

What if it leaks more? Mine leaks 1/2 to 3/4 qt a week but I aint chompin at the bit to pull the motor. In my case if it leaks more than a quart a day, its time to replace something. I do plan on replacing the rear seal and oil pump pretty soon. Mines got 180k and still makes good torque but not great power at high speeds. :drinkers:

LouisianaZJ
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
yeah but is it USING that much or is it just leaking out of the pan?

2drezq
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Your Jeep is obviously totally worn out and not worth fixing. Pay me $75 dollars and I'll come haul that POS away for you.

Helcome to Mallcrawlin...

ZJake
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM
yeah but is it USING that much or is it just leaking out of the pan?

It doesnt burn any from what I can tell. Checked compression and all cylinders were pretty fair. And it doesn't really leak oil all that bad but I think it blows it out pretty bad when its running. My tcase skid is caked with "anti rust" sludge. :smt003