PDA

View Full Version : Rock lights no worky

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Well I'm replacing my rear rock light with one just like it (cheapo from walmart) and I get everything plugged back in and I get nothing from the front or the rear one. All the connections are solid and its definatley to the right wires. Also all my fuses are in good order. Am I missing something or what?

BTW these are wired in thru my stock fog light wires and switch and stuff. I just push my foglight button and they come on, well not anymore, but u get the point.

OverkillZJ
07-11-2005, 11:17 PM
No way in hell is something going to be able to tell you a magical fix...

Get a volt/multimeter and get your ass under there. Test the lights direct to the battery, etc, TEST TEST TEST TORX BOLT!

LouisianaZJ
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
did u short out the rela or somethin

bburgi
07-11-2005, 11:33 PM
did you mess up the ground wire or something? I had a mysterious light failure on my roof lights- turned out to be a ground that wasn't connecting well.

ATL ZJ
07-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Make sure your battery is charged :finga:

jeep4x4nut
07-12-2005, 12:37 AM
id say check ground usually number one fault in lights

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
No way in hell is something going to be able to tell you a magical fix...

Get a volt/multimeter and get your ass under there. Test the lights direct to the battery, etc, TEST TEST TEST TORX BOLT!

fawk u buddy. :finga:

everything is checkin out alright on the meter, maybe my switch is fried. i know the fogs don't work with the high beams but i'm turning them on with the lows. time to tear the dash apart.

OverkillZJ
07-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Ummm... If things were "checking out alright on the meter" your lights would be working. If things are "checking out alright on the meter" at the end of the line your switch is no longer a variable.

Why is basic electric so hard for you? :weedman: :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm not a doctor dammit! but I do play one on TV.

Jim311
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Put in a new fuse. I have a set of Hella 550s that were giving me hell a while back. I checked all my connections, all my wires, fuse didn't visually LOOK blown. I was starting to get pissed. Finally I decided to try a new fuse.. that was the problem. I suggest you do the same before trying anything else. I'm not exactly sure how, but sometimes fuses can blow without being really obvious that they're blown. Don't rule out the simplest solution yet :D

dasVettemeister
07-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, is it fixed yet? We need details dammit!!! How stupid was the problem? :smt003

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
still working on it, i've had fuses blow out the little side terminals behind the colored plastic so its hard to see so I did check that and no luck. I'm taking poindexter's advice and testing more with the voltmeter.

OverkillZJ
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey uh, you do have bulbs in these lights right? :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-14-2005, 02:22 AM
well i hate to admit it but either way I am retarted. the first time I hooked them up I thought blue was power and black is negative (duh) but accidently connected them backwards. the reason they work is because according to the voltmeter (and the now working lights) blue is negative and black is positive. wierd seeing as though the right fog wires are colored correctly and the lefts are bass ackwards. either way, 2 fuses and a voltmeter battery later they're working.

GOT MY GROUND FX BACK YO!!!!!!