PDA

View Full Version : Rockwells and 46's on a zj?

happy
07-11-2005, 01:24 PM
hey anyone think it would be worth trying to make that work?...what would be the best way to strenghten the frame?box it, roll cage or what? if i can get the stuff i want to do it..btw has anyone seen a zj on rockwells? i was just at tellico and they had an xj on rokwells with 48's.

OverkillZJ
07-11-2005, 01:48 PM
You'd have to reinforce the hell out of that frame...

LouisianaZJ
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
basically you would have to build a new frame out of steel and weld that to the unibody bottom. i would prolly box the frame rails, then build a frame on the bottom of the rails. since you will need new spring pads and shock mounts not just the rails. the stockers prolly would not last with that much unsprung weight

you will also have to lift it a shit load to clear the top of the rockwells

that's not even getting into the power plant. you would need to swap t-case, tranny, and possibly engine to turn those 48's
can it be done?yes
would it require a shitload of work? yes :finga:

Jeepinparrothead
07-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Sell your ZJ and buy this.......Less headaches.

http://www.caos4x4.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2005

OverkillZJ
07-11-2005, 02:21 PM
With proper gearing, engine is just fine. It's not like you'd be driving it on the highway.

Tranny and tcase, well I think that depends on how much abuse you'd give it.

LouisianaZJ
07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah, the v8 would prolly be OK. i dont think the 4.slow woud be enough even offroad. it would feel like a 2.5l in a ZJ

the tranny might be ok for a while, but even with proper gearing i dont see it lasting that long

Kraqa
07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
as much as i like the ZJ i think it would be stupid to start this project. SOOO stupid that i WANT to see you do it . it would be bad ass. but it seems like starting with a vehicle that has a frame and the ability to stuff larger tires would be a much better idea.

Cue-Ball
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Damn that thing is bad ass, would love it.

2drezq
07-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Build a complete drivable ladder-frame unit, then drop the ZJ body on top.

Cody
07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
There were pictures of a ZJ on rockwells floating around not too long ago. It was a big gay mud truck so I didn't save it or make it a point to remember where I saw it.

Cody

Troy
07-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Waste of time IMO. Build a tube chassis for 46's and Rockwells.

happy
07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
ok...i was just seeing what yalls opinion would be.

what i would realy like to do is an 86 bronco on rockwells with 46's
i got to drive one this past weekend on trail 5 and 4 and up the 7 foot wall on fains ford crossing. it was unbelievable...the thing was so stable and could go over anything yet it had very little flex.
they also had 2 xj's on rockwells to, one with 39's and one with 48's..the one with 48's was stretched so much that it had a 0* depature angle.

so i was just thinking should i just try and do it to my zj instead even tho it would be rediculous, but i think what i realy should do is leave it as a daily driver.

Jim311
07-11-2005, 06:34 PM
That wall on Faynes ford is weaksauce!

Troy
07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
up the 7 foot wall on fains ford crossing

You mean this? http://smallnet.homeip.net/jeepzj//video/Troy-fainsford.wmv

Cody
07-11-2005, 07:35 PM
That wall isn't very big. I bet it would be a pain if it were wet though.

Cody

ROKN ZJ
07-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Nothing needs to be that big. Not a ZJ, not a YJ, not an EB. Nothing.

FinlayZJ
07-12-2005, 09:10 AM
This came off another forum i'm on. No other info with it.

Edit: Trying to track down the owner. The pic was taken at the Aggressive 4x4 Concepts show on July 9th. Here was the flyer for the show:

http://www.aggressiveconcepts.com/orshow.htm

If you know anyone who went, they might have a pic of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/dl1carp/Junk/IMG_5075.jpg

OverkillZJ
07-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I'll be damned. Wish we had some underside shots.

FinlayZJ
07-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Found two more pics.......working on finding the owner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/FinlayZJ/IMG_5076.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/FinlayZJ/IMG_4972.jpg

LouisianaZJ
07-12-2005, 12:17 PM
what size meats? looks like 44's

Troy
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
That's a South Carolina license plate.

Cue-Ball
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Man that is really awesome looking.

Maybe I should ditch my HP30/8.8 and go rockwells.

(yea right I can't even afford to get my HP30/8.8 installed)

happy
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
does it look like he reinforced the frame at all?

and hey i know that peeps on 33 have gone up that wall but it was big to me since ive never done anything like it before

i always have to go around it.i have no lockers

happy
07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
hey do u think u would need to reinforce the entire frame or just where the control arms are attached?...where is the most weight being held up by? the control arms right? maybe if u reinforced the center by cutting out the uni frame out and then putting something else in and some heavy duty cross members. i dunno

OverkillZJ
07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
It's opinion, but I'd say box the whole of both frame rails and tie it into a subframe. Sure, you could just do part of it (like Claytons for instance) but I don't see that holding up to the weight of rockwells unless it's a shiny show rig that only likes doing RTI ramps :weedman:

BiggerZJ
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I was refered to this forum by the guy who posted the pics on this page of my ZJ on rockwells and 44s. looks like a killer site, all exept that part about my jeep being a shiny RTI monster. my name is Stephen and im a tech at Lowcountry 4x4 (www.lowcounty4x4.com) and we are trying to post some detailed pics of all our employees toys on that page, so keep checking. ill give you a little run down on my setup. yes i did beef up the unibody to support the weight and the hard wheeling(ill also post a pic of my ZJ on its lid at tellico thats why all the glass is replaced with lexan). i also replaced the tranny and t-case with a 700-r4 and an atlas. still got the bone stock motor and it pulls just fine with the help of the 6.72 gears. for lift im using 05 superduty 6" coils from BDS. my link setup is a double wishbone with the bottom wishbones completely plated for sliding over junk. plenty more to tell but for now sorry for the long story, be happy to answer any ?s and love to go wheeling with some more ZJs. once again kick ass site!

Cue-Ball
07-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I am sure we are all very interested to see more detailed pix of the underside of your ZJ to see how the axles really fit in under there.

OverkillZJ
07-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome Stephen!

I appologize it looked like I was attacking your Jeep, definately not my intent. I worded that poorly, I was making a crack at other (nameless) people I know that are known to slap things together without any thought and expect it to work (and last.) There's been a lot of talk about long arm systems here, and some are of the opinion that you don't need any area to distribute the load where the arm meets the frame rail, I was just taking yet another crack at the RockKrawler crowd :weedman:

Anyway, welcome, can't wait to see more pictures of that beast. Love the glass....

Any chance you'll be attending Grand Slam South East in Tellico this August? I'd love to see that beast in person.

ZJake
07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Waste of time IMO. Build a tube chassis for 46's and Rockwells.

x2. Then take "Grand Cherokee" and tape it on the side somewhere.

Troy
07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
and hey i know that peeps on 33 have gone up that wall but it was big to me since ive never done anything like it before

Don't sweat it. Everyone begins wheeling at some point in their life.

At this site we'll make fun of you in any situation.

happy
07-12-2005, 08:49 PM
so is that one bar in the front a track bar or draglink? cuz with a wishbone u don't need a track bar right?
so i'm guessing you have hidro assist?

Cue-Ball
07-12-2005, 08:52 PM

At this site we'll make fun of you in any situation.

Truer words were never spoken.

happy
07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
hey i did it at night to...oh yeah..does that make me a little bit cooler.

Jim311
07-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Wonder what kinda rear bumper the guy with Rockwells has got? Is that one of those Protofab deals? I dig the rocker and fender protection.. that's what I need on MY rig!

Cue-Ball
07-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I was thinking of doing something similar for the fenders on mine, and tie them into my TR bumpers.

LouisianaZJ
07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
from the looks of it he has easy acess to a bender. would not be surprised if he made it himself

Kraqa
07-12-2005, 10:36 PM
He's a tech in a custom 4x4 shop.........

I doubt he bought any of his armor.

nice look rig. I wana see the underside.

ATL ZJ
07-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Welcome Stephen, I second what Matt said about GSSE the first weekend in August, especially if you're interested in wheeling with a few other ZJs. Looks like you put some serious thought into that setup.. looking damn good.

BiggerZJ
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
it will take me a while to learn names but anyway happy to answer your ? yes that is a drag link with hydro assist. im only running it that way cause i drive my ZJ on the road everyday, i even drive it 6hrs. to tellico and back. just dont trust full hydro for street driving. but anyway could i get some more info on the Grand Slam in tellico, the info may be on this site just havent mastered this place just yet.
hey i have a ? for yall, does anyone have trouble with their tailgate opening? mine still lines up good but it is like the latch is screwing up, my first thought would be slightly tweeked, but its done it from back when it was totaly stock, so im thinking its in the latch???? any ideas

Cue-Ball
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
The latch on the tailgate is a comon problem.

When will we be seeing more detailed pix of the under side of your Jeep?

How does it feel driving on the street?

deadman
07-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I am interested in the underside too... I am in the progress of putting 406 Unimog portals under my ZJ. I was going to start box the "frame" next week or so... would be great to see how you've done it. Weight wise our axles should be pretty close.

Awesome rig! I like how you kept it fullbodied. I will cut off the rear and tube it, cause I need space for 4WS... but the full body like you have looks great!

OverkillZJ
07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Ya... Our tailgates suck. Flexed up it'll never open, and if you've ever had it flexed up (I think it's safe to say you have) it'll give you trouble forever more. I was able to take my rear panel off and get a little more throw out of the rod that activates it, but it's still a little finnicky at times, and you may have to push in before pulling out. I've contemplated using another latch, but what's the point.. we all know it's going to be buggie'd anyway :weedman:

Grand Slam South East doesn't have any information on this site (at least as of yet) - but info can be found over at www.nagca.com - specific dates and such here: http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Troy
07-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Ya... Our tailgates suck. Flexed up it'll never open, and if you've ever had it flexed up (I think it's safe to say you have) it'll give you trouble forever more.

I must have the only good one then... or else I'm only wheeling the easy trails! I've had problems closing it when flexed but not really any issues opening it then or on flat ground. I did replce the struts on the tailgate though because I got tired of it hitting me in the head on hot days.

ROKN ZJ
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Whats the tailgate issues y'all are having? Sometimes I have trouble with mine, and I was curious if it's the same thing. Sometimes mine is a pain to open, and sometimes when it's open it won't close to reclose the latch even though it seems to be hitting the striker...

happy
07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
so if u drive it on the street everyday what gears are u running? i guess u don't have pinion brakes either do u?

OverkillZJ
07-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Ya... Our tailgates suck. Flexed up it'll never open, and if you've ever had it flexed up (I think it's safe to say you have) it'll give you trouble forever more.

I must have the only good one then... or else I'm only wheeling the easy trails! I've had problems closing it when flexed but not really any issues opening it then or on flat ground. I did replce the struts on the tailgate though because I got tired of it hitting me in the head on hot days.

LOL, my lifters are the opposite, they only WORK on hot days. When it's cold out, it'll hold til you're not looking then BOOM hits you on the head full force. One of these days it happens, I'm taking a sawzall to it.

Swamp boy
07-13-2005, 08:50 PM
. One of these days it happens, I'm taking a sawzall to it.

Do it...Do it..

To fix the hatch take off the inner plastic and pop the metal rod off and tighten it.. IT will work for you for a while longer..

Very nice looking ZJ... Where are those damn pics.. :drinkers:

BiggerZJ
07-13-2005, 11:53 PM
its funny as hell to hear people having the same problems with that tailgate. i have to beat the shit out of mine to get it open, and when i get it open its only to have it fall and hit me in the head! hard to look cool like that! happy, the 2 1/2 ton rockwells only come with 6.72 gears so with 44s and overdrive im roughly turning the motor over around 2000 at 70-75 so its really not that bad. i wanted to do mogs under my ZJ but just happend to have set of rockwells instead, im jealous! ill get those pics up soon, hate to sound so stupid but can someone give me a step by step to put the pics on here.

Swamp boy
07-14-2005, 12:01 AM
I can pm you a step by step.. But Idont have a tailgate to take picture of... :smt003

Tommy
07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
I had similar issues with the hatch until about a month ago. While my buddy Ryan was taking the jeep down from the top pad with no brakes and strapped to his f150. The jeep rolled down shop driveway and right into his DOM prerunner bumper. Put a little love tap in it and a flat black hicky. Opens great now. Simple and easy fix.

Trancezj
07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
the hatches are great. Tighten that dealy up and it works good... then not so good.... then you have to use the "special touch" (kick the fuck out of it) to open it..... then you tighten agian.....repeat. Mine finally got stuck completely. Cutting the top off is a quick fix.

Cody
07-14-2005, 02:54 PM
pshhh, hatches. :rolleyes:

Kraqa
07-14-2005, 03:43 PM
whats a lift gate?
lol

northgazj
07-14-2005, 08:07 PM
What part of Charleston are you in? I have family in Mt. Pleasant and the in-laws have a condo on Daniel Island so I'm down that way every now and then and would love to stop by your shop and check that thing out.

BiggerZJ
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
our shop is located right off of hwy. 17 in west ashley. so for you to get there all you need to do is hit I-526 heading torwards savannah and follow it till it ends. then take hwy.17 torwards savannah. stay in the far right lane and right before that lane runs out you will see our shop on the right! hope you can stop by!

northgazj
07-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I'll try to get by your way the next time I'm down, was just there two weeks ago- wish I had known 'cause it rained everyday and we just hung out. It doesn't sound like it is too far from Daniel Island which is where we usually stay(free!). Hope to see you at Grand Slam Southeast as I will most likely be there.

luvthejeep
07-29-2005, 08:55 PM

15 g's and no frikkin spare :finga: