PDA

View Full Version : I thought the 621MR would make steering easier...

ATL ZJ
07-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Feeling stupid.. I just put in a PSC 621mr box, hooked up the P/S hoses, etc and now my steering is harder to turn than ever. The system is filled and has been burped of air properly..

Does anyone have a pic of which hose attaches to which port? I am thinking I might have reconnected them incorrectly.. And the ports for hydro assist are on the side of the box right? Not on the top in the locations of the stock P/S ports?? Unless the hoses are swapped or clogged, I don't know what's up. Ideas?

ATL ZJ
07-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, the lines are hooked up right..
The pump might have run dry while the lines were disconnected overnight.. All the fluid poured out while I was working on other things.. How do you diagnose a dead P/S pump? I'm going to try to get more air out of the system if there is any.

nate
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
If the pump ran dry that would be bad. 621 box makes turning 35" TSLs easier than stock tires on the stock box. Bascially I can turn with my pinky.

ATL ZJ
07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
If the pump ran dry that would be bad. 621 box makes turning 35" TSLs easier than stock tires on the stock box. Bascially I can turn with my pinky.

I don't think the pump ran while dry, but the pump was drained of fluid for a while.. I refilled the reservoir prior to turning the engine on, but I don't know if the reservoir drains directly into the pump or of the pump draws fluid from the reservoir due to hydraulic pressure.. I How can I tell if the pump is still going to be okay? There is definitely a difference in turning power with the engine running and not running, but my stock box turned the tires easier. Now my steering feels tight, stiff, and beefy.

How do you troubleshoot a power steering or any simple hydraulic system for that matter? I can't find this information anywhere.

Jim311
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
If the pump is squealing and making a shitload of noise there's a chance it's dead/dying :mrgreen:

LouisianaZJ
07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
when i had all my ps lines out and i was replacing shit. the res was dry. i replaced the lines, topped off the res, turned the engine on for a sec, topped of the res, then cycled the steering then finally topped off

the pump sucks the fluid out of the reservoir and any air bubbles just gets blasted thru the system back to the res.

that's about all the help i can give. I would just try to call up psc tommorow and confirm which line is for the high pressure on the box

ATL ZJ
07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
If the pump is squealing and making a shitload of noise there's a chance it's dead/dying :mrgreen:

It was for a little while, right at first when I was burping the system.. but that has subsided now and it makes no noise as normal.. A buddy of mine who works in a land cruiser shop tells me that often times it takes a good deal of driving to get all the air out of the system and get the feel back to normal. So I'll drive it until something happens, and keep a close eye on the fluid level.

nate
07-11-2005, 04:16 AM
I dunno, seems weird to me.

I had my pump, box, etc dry for a good 3-4 months. Filled it up, lifted the front tires off teh ground and lock to lock a good 20-30 times to get the air out. That's all I did. Fired it up and it worked fine.

In all it took about 3 quarts of p/s fluid to fill it up.

ATL ZJ
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I talked to PSC today.. I was told that since it's a larger bore box, it's harder to push... Even though the gear reduction is there to make it easier to turn.. So if my stock pump is damaged or on its way out, then that would explain the increased difficulty in turning.

He also went over the method to check and see if your pump is in need of replacement:

Check the fluid level in the reservoir with the engine off. Then turn the engine on. If there is any drop in fluid level, you have air in the system.

Then with the engine on, test turning resistance at idle while not moving. Then get the RPMs up a little. If turning becomes easier with the RPMs up, your box is not doing a sufficient job.

He also told me that burping the system is best done by getting the wheels off the ground, turning the wheel 4-5 times, and then walking away. The air bubbles will float up slowly after that. Any more turning will just brew you lots of foam.

chadjans
07-13-2005, 01:43 AM
http://www.howeperformance.com/bleedinginst.html

chadjans
07-13-2005, 01:45 AM
http://www.howeperformance.com/jeephose1.html

ATL ZJ
07-13-2005, 06:06 PM
thanks, I might try it again.

Colorado 5.9
07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
How did you take care of the fourth ear/bolt?

ATL ZJ
07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
For the 4th bolt, I drilled a hole in the framerail. I am going to sleeve it with some pipe I got for free, sandwiched in between the box and the one side of the framerail.