PDA

View Full Version : tire carrier and bumper ideas needed

xdgedgex
07-09-2005, 10:47 AM
i know there are some other posts, but i didnt see exactly what i was looking for. i am building a rear bumper and tire carrier, i am wondering if anyone has any pics of the hinge and locking lever they used, and how they mounted the carrier to the bumper. thanks alot guys.

Swamp boy
07-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Check the Jeep Journals section.. .Got to be something there..

JeepinHank
07-11-2005, 10:10 AM
For my hinge, I used a 5/8 bolt through the bumper and riser. For the latch, I used a 1/2" bolt. Its really not all that bad not as quick as one of those nice latches, but it doesn't rattle at all. On the hinge, I bought a 3" rubber bushing from poly performance, but found that it tended to allow a bit too much rattling, and would sag when opened. I ended up having a bushing made out of some sort of poly - the same stuff that most BBs are made out of. It stiffened everything up nicely.

I know people swear by those trailer spindle hinges, but I'm cheap, and this solution worked fine for me.

xdgedgex
07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
could you possibly send me any pictures, and upclose ones if you have those also. either post them here or send to Jeep8zj@yahoo.com. thanks alot for your help.

where have other people bought there latches?

Texas ZJ1
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Protofab used a cam bolt. It works really well so far.

Hunter