PDA

View Full Version : Replacement radiator upgrade?

SuicideTireZJ
07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Blew a nice 3x3" hole in my radiator wheeling today. So much for my hood vents :smt011 Now I need a replacement.

Funny, I could see straight through my radiator, and found it was a 2 core. I think my cheap ass mom bought me an I-6 rad when I replaced it after I bought the car a few years ago. Don't V8's have a 3 core?

Anyway, I need a replacement, upgraded radiator. At least 3, hopefully 4 core. Does anyone offer a direct replacement? This is a DD so I can't afford too much down time, and I can't fab anything up because it's on the side of the trail.

Feel free to move this to Newb tech, mods, I am but a noob.

Jim311
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Bought my 3 core radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com for like 140 something I think?

robselina
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Stock was 2 core. Never found a 3 core locally when I was looking...

Bought my 3 core radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com for like 140 something I think?

Know a guy who has one of those too. He overheats like crazy but he did that before he switched to the 3 core too. Still a good deal though just on price alone.

I need to measure the 3 core one of these days 'cause I'm not actually sure if it really is any deeper. 3 core is only better than a 2 core if the cores themselves are equal. I have a suspicion these cores are smaller, so it could actually be a wash or a loss with the 3 core :axe:

nate
07-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Cheap ass mom huh. Your lucky she bought you a fucking radiator. Get a replacment Modine and call it a day. No need for a 15 billion core radiator.

Jim311
07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Stock was 2 core. Never found a 3 core locally when I was looking...

Know a guy who has one of those too. He overheats like crazy but he did that before he switched to the 3 core too. Still a good deal though just on price alone.

I need to measure the 3 core one of these days 'cause I'm not actually sure if it really is any deeper. 3 core is only better than a 2 core if the cores themselves are equal. I have a suspicion these cores are smaller, so it could actually be a wash or a loss with the 3 core :axe:

No overheating here. And I'm not even running a radiator shroud. I'll get around to putting it on one of these days....

yardape52
07-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Ditto Nate. Get a Modine. Even a 12 core radiator won't do you a bit of good if its a P.O.S. People for some reason get hung up on the number of cores which has less to do with cooling as does the shape of the fins and size of the tubing.

SuicideTireZJ
07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I really need to lose the clutch fan. I want that 10 horsepower back!

Just ordered a 3 core from radiatorbarn. Hope I didn't jump to conclusions too quickly but it was the first website I saw and I need this thing back on the road pronto. Especially because it's just sitting on the side of the road right now. $159 shipped is a deal I couldn't pass up.

Jim311
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I really need to lose the clutch fan. I want that 10 horsepower back!

Just ordered a 3 core from radiatorbarn. Hope I didn't jump to conclusions too quickly but it was the first website I saw and I need this thing back on the road pronto. Especially because it's just sitting on the side of the road right now. $159 shipped is a deal I couldn't pass up.

Been running the exact same radiator for a few months now with no problems.. and it's been hot as hell lately. Don't be alarmed when the box shows up and it says "Cooling the import world" on the side. It might seem rice-tastic, but it's actually a good radiator :mrgreen:

SuicideTireZJ
07-07-2005, 11:25 PM
haha that's hilarious. I'd totally rock a sticker to the same effect.

MikeyM
07-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Just for my info, what was the OEM radiator for the 5.2 with tow package? 3 core?

Mike