PDA

View Full Version : Steering Issues with Front Locker?

SuicideTireZJ
07-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm finally considering locking the ZJ, and I like the idea of locking the front axle first. I just ditched the 249 for a 231 and like the fact that the locker won't be noticed on the street in 2wd like my friend's rear Lincoln Locker is. This thing is daily driven like a race car (sorta) so I can't go around chirping the tires everywhere.

My question is this. My friend has a TJ with dual ARB's. When the front locker is engaged and he's in 4wd, he has a massive amount of difficulty turning the steering wheel. The reason why is obvious, but I can't afford an ARB. If I were to get something like an Aussie locker or quicklock that unloads, would turning still be a problem in 4wd? I'm not too keen on having to take it out of 4 just to go around a corner every so often.

LouisianaZJ
07-03-2005, 03:34 PM
its harder to steer, but not rediculously hard

Nordic1
07-03-2005, 03:40 PM
get an ARB and just turn it off when you have to steer... an Aussie will make it harder to steering when you are throttling it it but I don't see a problem with simple street driving

LouisianaZJ
07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
um no dont get an ARB, $$$$$$ way overpriced and way too much extra shit to break (air lines, compressor, etc)

if you want something stronger get the full detroit for like $400. if you want something just to work as a locker get the aussie.

i have the lockright in the front 30. it will be hard to steer on like hard packed dirt with good traction on both sides (where you dont need 4wd anyway) it will be easy to steer anywhere you actually need a front locker, mud, slick rock, etc

SuicideTireZJ
07-03-2005, 04:13 PM
ARB= No. Way too much money and I'm hoping I don't have these axles past next winter or so. I just need a little more traction to keep up with the other guys I wheel with (33's, locked. I'm on 31's and open).

I'm usually either at Moab or doing boulders/dirt here in Colorado.

LouisanaZJ, it will be harder to turn on dirt than on slicrock?

OverkillZJ
07-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I have a detroit in the front, but I also have a Tera 2-low in the tcase. Without the 2-low, I wouldn't even consider having that locker up front. Steering is damn near impossible when it's locked and on good traction.

A locker in the rear is NOTHING like a "lincoln locker". I have a full detroit, and don't even know it's there unless I gas it around a turn like a dick, then I squeel a little bit. It also adds a little driveline slop, enhancing the "clunk" when you go from R to D and such, but not bad.

SuicideTireZJ
07-03-2005, 09:21 PM
The only concern with locking the rear is how it drives in the snow/wet. I'm in Colorado and, like I said, this is my DD. I also take it snowboarding quite often. I'm already getting myself into trouble just having rear wheel drive after swapping in the 231. I know I shouldn't drive like a dick but even if I don't, I don't want to wreck my POS.

This is why selectable lockers are so damn nice..... but I'm not into polishing turds, really.

OverkillZJ
07-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Ya, if you drive like a dick with a rear locker in the snow, it's gonna hurt. But.. I find it even worse in 4wd with a front locker in the snow. Infact, you almost can't steer it. I found brake steering to be more effective than the steering wheel :weedman:

Everything in building your rig is a trade off.

LouisianaZJ
07-03-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah, if you have to use 4wd on the streets alot, i probably would not do it

the detroit trutrac d30 lsd is supposed to be a fairely agressive lsd, but it is $350 and requires setting up the gears