PDA

View Full Version : FOX Air Shocks

servouxh
07-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Well, I finally got my D60 built. The core was out of an 85 F350. There is not much room to the left of the diff on this thing. So to save some space I was going with coilovers in the front. But I see that fox makes an air shock that is actually less. So does anybody know anything about these units. I can't find much info on them even, on Fox's website.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-02-2005, 10:37 AM
are we talking like a buggy ZJ or a full bodied?

servouxh
07-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm trying to keep it streetable and I'm not cutting the roof off. But it will be pretty hacked up. Honestly it will probably be a buggy by the time I'm done, but for now its not. I'm not concerned about how to mount them I'm just wondering if they are appropriate for what I want to do i.e. trail runs, some rocks and mud. And what kind of abuse they can handle.
I was planing on making some hoops to mount to the frame rail and protrude up through the hood/fenders. Those air shocks are really long. I don't know. They seem pretty interesting but I have never seen them on anything and I know nothing about them.

ROKN ZJ
07-02-2005, 01:24 PM
That's pretty heavy for the typical Fox air shocks, but I think they're making a larger on now, that MIGHT work. The problem is that it won't be streetable. Air shocks aren't real fun driving fast or hitting bumps (trust me). The problem is that they don't have much up travel. It's three times harder to push the shock in than it is to pull it out (which is why they don't have much up travel, and why when you hit a bump it usually just jars the vehicle instead of pushing the shock in). Also I've been told they'll heat up too much during regular street driving. They're good on rock crawlers, but for a cross breed thing I'd recomend coilovers.

servouxh
07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. So as far as coilovers go. King, Fox or Sway away.

Kraqa
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
you should try there new larger version and let us knwo how well they work. The extra weight of the ZJ might force the shock to compress more then on a 3000 LB buggy.

ROKN ZJ
07-02-2005, 06:07 PM
you should try there new larger version and let us knwo how well they work. The extra weight of the ZJ might force the shock to compress more then on a 3000 LB buggy.

For someone who already doesn't want to get coilovers because of the price, it would suck to get some air shocks just to see "if" the work and risk having to sell them and purchase coilovers anyway.

Besides wouldn't the bigger ones be just as stiff on a big vehicle as the smaller ones are on a light vehicle?

gearhead313
07-03-2005, 06:40 PM
I agree, the bigger bore shox will probably handle the grands weight, but be tougher as rokn said.

Im still toying with my idea to run a pair at each corner in the front.. :supz:

Cody
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
You can set the air shox up to allow more up travel--it's all in the valving. Even still, for all the reasons mentioned above (weight, fade (result from the fluid heating up from working too hard) etc.) they aren't the best idea for a full bodied ZJ. They would probably be ok in the rear, but not the front.

As for coilovers, they are awesome but they can be a PITA to get setup correctly. You have to deal with the valving of the shock, 2-3 different spring rates, etc etc. Once they're dialed in they are worth the difference in cost as compared to an airshock, especially in a multi-purpose rig.

I run Sway Aways on my rig and they are much nicer than the Deutsch Tech ones I've seen. I believe King coilovers are also very nice, as are Bilstein and Fox.

Cody

chadjans
07-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Get shorter air shocks and valve them appropiately for more up travel. You will never find an air shock to run with a heavy ass grand. Do coil overs and be done with it. As Cody has said to ma and I now beleive 14 inch coil overs are cheaper to equip as far as springs. Shocks are about the same.

Chad

Cody
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
yes, 14's are much cheaper to equip with springs. If you can get them dialed in without buying the tender spring (triple progressive spring rate), then it's not too bad. Maybe 700 a pair loaded for good coilovers ?

Cody