PDA

View Full Version : D44A Aussie locker prototypes ready for testing in 30 days

Jim311
06-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Or so claims this guy on a local 4x4 website. He's from Rochester, NY, and has this to say:

The diff is considerably different that the iron Dana 44, and we are unaware of any locker that is available. Contrary to comments made, the Aussie Locker company is indeed developing a model for the Aluminum Dana 44 and we have the broaches and all of the engineering complete. We just ordered some parts our Australian engineers needed to do a double confirmation of dimensions against the diffs we have in Australia for the development program. Like most development programs, this one has taken far longer than we had hoped for, but we should be cutting metal for prototypes within 30-45 days.

So this raises an interesting question for me. I've got an 8.8 rear, with 4.56 gears and a full rebuild kit. Should I take the easy way out and wait around for this shit to be finished? Or is this just some douche posting on our local board to piss me off? I was bashing Aussie for making comments about how the locker had been "in development" for years now, when this guy appeared and started posting. I replied that until I had an Aussie locker for my D44a installed in my axle I would remain skeptical.

MikeyM
06-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Not sure, dude, but I'd sure like to see on. Hell, I'd even volunteer for the prototype. I think the AL 44 would hold up farly well with 32s max and not much 3 wheeling. Hopefully.

Mike.

Jim311
06-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Not sure, dude, but I'd sure like to see on. Hell, I'd even volunteer for the prototype. I think the AL 44 would hold up farly well with 32s max and not much 3 wheeling. Hopefully.

Mike.

Shit, there's a guy on here that welded his up. He was running 36+ inch IROKs..

bburgi
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Don't really have an answer for you Jim, but I'm following your lead. I'm remaining skeptical until I actually see the thing in person.

I sure am excited about the prospect though...

JohnBoulderCO
06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
They have been saying that for well over a year. I traded e-mails with them and every time the answer was the same, in another 6-8 weeks. I gave up and made my own.

I would finish your 8.8 build. I have an 8.8 waiting in the garage, for when my locked D44AL gives up the ghost.

LouisianaZJ
06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
LIES

ill believe it when i see it

btw, you know those aussie lockers are basically just lockwrongs right? not much to be excited about. granted, they get the job done, but they are not the strongest things around

Jim311
06-30-2005, 11:19 PM
LIES

btw, you know those aussie lockers are basically just lockwrongs right? not much to be excited about. granted, they get the job done, but they are not the strongest things around

Better than what I've got now.

MikeyM
07-01-2005, 01:09 AM
LIES

Better than what I've got now.

Werd.

Mtn WJ
07-02-2005, 12:36 AM
I have seen them say that too for years now.

The Aussie Lockers have a good reptation. There is a test report done by a guy on Pirate. You could do a search on there if you want to learn more aobut them. I will most likely put on in my newly swapped axle.
They sell for 229 for most applications.

Besides if you do put a locker in the D44a you still have the aluminum houseing which prone to bending anyway with heavy trail use.

Jim311
07-02-2005, 03:48 AM
I have seen them say that too for years now.

The Aussie Lockers have a good reptation. There is a test report done by a guy on Pirate. You could do a search on there if you want to learn more aobut them. I will most likely put on in my newly swapped axle.
They sell for 229 for most applications.

Besides if you do put a locker in the D44a you still have the aluminum houseing which prone to bending anyway with heavy trail use.

Well, I'm only running 33s for now. I'd just like the idea of having some damn options. I'd buy one right now if they were for sale. Hopefully they'll come through this time, but I remain skeptical. I'd say another 6 months. But that's been said before...

Jim311
08-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Anyone heard anything?

LouisianaZJ
08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
LIES!!!!!!! :finga:

JohnBoulderCO
08-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Aussie now has posted this new locker on their web site. You can buy it!

Thing is, they are using the same part number for the ZJ as the WJ, C-clips or not. Makes you go hmmmm.

It's also the same part number for any other D44 (read iron) as well. Hmmmm.

Shit, and all along we thought our D44AL diffs were different.

Those Down Under must be smarter then us Up Over guys.

LouisianaZJ
08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
its not for sale yet

the website is a misprint

JohnBoulderCO
08-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Ahhh, need to change them part numbers around a bit. :drinkers:

Jim311
08-31-2005, 07:41 AM
its not for sale yet

the website is a misprint

They'd better hurry that shit up. I wants me a LOCKAH!

doyll
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I was told by Aussie about 3 weeks ago that they in production now and will be ready for delievery in about 3 more weeks. The part number is XD14450.

Still, I'm not holding my breath. :mrgreen:

MrCorn
10-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Got this today:

"Thank you for your interest in the Aussie Locker. The locker for the D44A diff is in manufacturing and we should see the first 50 units ship next week from Australia. Once we have the air bill number, we will put the part on our web site at www.aussielocker.com. We apologize for the delay."

MikeyM
10-26-2005, 02:01 AM
It's about fkn time! Hell for 220 bucks and a few hours labor it's I think it's worth it. The 44 gets a bad rap but I think if they're set up right and not constantly hammer on they do pretty well. I wonder what kind of testing they Aussie guys put into thier RD&T. Anyone know how they act on road? My hat's off to them.

TrojanMan
10-26-2005, 02:31 AM
wtf its no longer a myth?:worthles:

LouisianaZJ
10-26-2005, 05:00 AM
wtf its no longer a myth?:worthles:
all i read were more e-promisies LIESSSSS!!!1~~~~~

I'll beilieve it when i see a turddd in a d44a lokced in person. otherrwise aussie needes to STFU.

I WILLS SEND EMAIL TO AUSSIE TO STFU.,AOBUT THIS< TurdS!!!~~~~~~

Texas ZJ1
10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
They sell jewelry along with the Al44 locker.

The quote says, "we have the all the broaches!"

Hunter

that is probably as big a lie as the locker.