PDA

View Full Version : Can a bad cat cause overheating?

2drezq
06-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Just what the subject line says. Can it?
Running down the highway @70mph, OAT 58 deg, Oil temp 180, the water is @ 210. If the OAT hits 73 the oil goes to 195+ (Mobil one synth.) & the water goes pastt 220-maybe 230. I just noticed the catlytic convertor is rattling (internal, it isn't loose or anything). Could this cause elevated temps?

JeepinHank
06-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Possibly,

If the cat is clogged, you'll have a reduction in power due to the increased back pressure, and a higher engine temp.

I'd check out the cat and try to determine if its the heat shield or the actual "guts" of the cat that's rattling.

Its a start if nothing else...

TrojanMan
06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Only one way to find out.. buy yourself a high flow cat from KOLAK or on ebay. Under a hundred bucks, and at the very least you'll get a performance gain and a nice sound.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Only one way to find out.. buy yourself a high flow cat from KOLAK or on ebay. Under a hundred bucks, and at the very least you'll get a performance gain and a nice sound.

$130 actually if you get the cat with the O2 bung already welded in.

LouisianaZJ
06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
$5 if you weld in a straight pipe

for offroad use only of course

TrojanMan
06-30-2005, 02:10 AM

And another 5 bucks if you want to shut up the CEL.

And elliot.. I got mine for 90 shipped with O2 bung welded in.

forexfour
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Sounds like your description was almost the same as my problem I had.

Clutch fan was the problem and was easy to determine that it was bad.

I constantly ran at 210 or higher at low outside temps. Towing I was at 240 degree constantly.

I would chech there first unless you already have.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM

how would you not throw a code for the O2 sensor? i've got a gutted cat and can't get it to not throw a code.

oh and yea its for offroad use only ;)

TrojanMan
06-30-2005, 04:54 PM

how would you not throw a code for the O2 sensor? i've got a gutted cat and can't get it to not throw a code.

Why the hell didn't you call me dude? I can build you an O2 sensor simulator for like 5 bucks.

nate
07-01-2005, 02:01 AM
I had a gutted cat for a while and I never had the CEL come on. The O2 sensor was doing a fuel trim of 99.9% but it never gave a CEL still.

dasVettemeister
07-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I had a gutted cat for a while and I never had the CEL come on. The O2 sensor was doing a fuel trim of 99.9% but it never gave a CEL still.

What year is your rig? If you have an OBDI then you only have a pre-cat O2. If you have an OBDII then you have a post-cat O2 also. I can't remember the year break, but I think OBDII started in 96...... Government mandated horseshit. Thank that jackass Clinton and every mindless lemming that voted for him :finga:

nate
07-01-2005, 03:52 AM
OBD II. I don't think you can read the O2 sensors on ODBI even. Dunno.. I only have an OBDII scanner/diagnotics

JeepinHank
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Yeah - DVM's right OBDII came into effect and was equipped on ZJs in 1996.

Pisses me off, my area just came in under the requirement of OBDII diagnostics for inspections, and my heep is a `96. If I had a `95 it would have been grandfathered in. :axe: