PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo initial tests worked great

Mtn WJ
06-29-2005, 02:46 AM
I decided to test out my back up plan for getting my speedo to work with an axle swap. It worked great. I un plugged the rear ABS sensors from the PCM and wired them to the front ABS senors. I left the front sensors wired to the PCM as well but initially pulled the ABS fuse just in case.

Walla my speedometer worked and I compared it up to 30 mph with my GPS and it was accurate. I did not want to go faster with the broken axle making all kinds of noise at 30. No reason to believe it will not work at highway speeds.

Then I braved putting the fuse back in for the ABS to see what would happen with the rear sensor feed and the front sensors feed both hooked up to the front sensors. The warning lights went away but the ABS did not work nor did I expect it to. It may work if the front wheels slipped on ice or something because the WJ ABS is 4 channel. Not really a big deal because with the Axle swap ABS is a goal but will not be mandatory.

So now I just need to make up my mind on which axle to use. Explorer 8.8, Rodeo D44 or a F150 8.8. Or what. I will be posting some of the pros and cons of these to get you alls opinion Weds AM.

Keith

bburgi
06-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Sweet... good stuff for me to know down the road.

BigDaveZJ
06-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Sweet!

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Keith,
Cool! You just need to find some gravel on the road to see if the ABS still works if a front tire locks up. But, like you said, it is a great back up plan.
John

BigDaveZJ
06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Keith,
Cool! You just need to find some gravel on the road to see if the ABS still works if a front tire locks up. But, like you said, it is a great back up plan.
John

Daniels Park is probably your best bet there. Closest gravel road I know of to H.R.

Mtn WJ
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Yea I am thinking of going to one of the construction sites near by. I do not want to drive it very far or very hard with my rear axle broken. It is getting worse as I go.

I suspect it will not work because the PCM is getting the same signal for both the front and rear per side.

However I have a WJ motto and that goes like this:
you never really know until you dismantle it, put it back together and try it. Which is similar to there is the right way, the wrong way and the WJ way.

chadjans
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Don't do the Izzu D44. They are different splined. I think 30 splines. I may be wrong but there was a guy in Flagstaff that did one and it was drastically different than a common D44, if there is such a thing.

Chad

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Don't do the Izzu D44. They are different splined. I think 30 splines. I may be wrong but there was a guy in Flagstaff that did one and it was drastically different than a common D44, if there is such a thing.

Chad

ARB site lists the same locker for the TJ D44 and the Izzu D44. They are both 30 spline. The shaft length, bearings...etc with be different, but not the lockers.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
you can also get the rodeo d44 with 4.56's already in it.

Mtn WJ
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Johns right the carriers are the same.

I have 4.10's in my Jeep which is great because they both are common with 4.10's.

The Rodeo 44 is a great axle and is very close in width to the WJ. Problem is it is a 6 lug which will require 2 piece spacers to make it work. I wonder if an axle shop could convert the 6 on 5.5 to a 5 on 5 pattern?

Ford 8.8 is a bit narrow and will require some pretty wide spacers to make it work with my rims and the spring/shock mount areas will require a tight squeeze to fit a WJ. I will most likely need to replace my rims it more the fact that I like the looks of my snowflakes and spacers.

Neither are a bolt up solution for ABS but it seems one similarily tried method has worked on the 8.8 and with the Rodeo I need to dismantle one to be more sure of where I might be able to fit the tone rings and sensor. I think it will be possible on the 44 as well because the hub area looks similar from the outside to a WJ 44.

The Rodeo from a glance has much of its factory mounts in the same places as a WJ and some of it may not need to be cut and re-fit with the WJ hardware.

I am having a hard time finding out data on the F150 8.8 especially which years they came in and what models had rear discs. I believe they are 65 inches wide versus the 63.5 on a WJ and with the spacers I have on the front I could go with 3/4 inch spacers on each side to allow the bolt pattern and width changes needed to match the front. Again I have searched a bit on the net and can not find difinitive info on the F150 8.8's.

I obviously have a bunch more considerations that I have been reviewing before I decide but the above data is the majority of the key items I am looking to make a final selection.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Keith

chadjans
06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I know the 8.8 f150's are wider and have a metric bolt pattern. And may only have a 3/4 cross pin which would mean they do not have a 31 spline count. Take it as a grain of salt becuase of my drastic misunderstanding of the zuzu axle :goodman:

Chad

Mtn WJ
06-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks

I would not feel bad if I were you WJs, Isuzus and Ford F150s all are bit misunderstood as my recent experience tells me.

I am told the F150 8.8 is 65 inches wide but still no idea which years they came in and what models with discs. I am thinking about paying some inner city kid to steal me a couple trucks to experiment with.

I am really leaning lately to a Exploder 8.8. I need to measure up one in person and will likely get started next week if it works out.

bitch part is buying new rims.

Keith

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Now you have an excuse.

Now your next debate starts. Wheels.

Hmmmm, if I have to buy new rims, do I stay with 16" AL, or go 16" steel or go 15" steel, hmmm

Do I keep the current tires/wheels as a winter set, buy some steel 15" steel wheels and get those TSL SX's I always wanted. :mrgreen:

Or, do I get those 20" spinners I saw the other day....

Kraqa
06-29-2005, 11:45 PM
hey keith,

glad to here that you are making progress. I still think you shoudl go for the ford 9" it would be an easy axle to adapt the WJ upper wish bone. and you can get them 59" with 5x4.5 bolt pattern, those ones are just rare.

plus disk break swap is less then 100$ and its hella beef.

i dont' knwo about the ABS tho. That was one of those things that i decided to throw out abotu 4 months after owning the jeep.

keep us posted on the progress i'm really curiouse to see what develops from this "accident" :weedman:

Mtn WJ
06-30-2005, 11:17 AM
John John John more thoughts to ponder I know.

I think I will be going with some 16 inch steelies but looking for something with a little different pattern than most. Would like something that can be painted Gray.

I will keep the tires I have because I just bought them in April.

Kraga

I have looked into the 9 inch but it seems adapting the tone rings may be the problem because the 9s did not come with ABS.

Kraqa
06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
i dont' know the size of the tone rings on a WJ but woudl it be possible to mount them on the inside of the WMS where the studs get pressed in?

also,

you shoudl look into products by honeywell. they do alot of rotation position sensors. analoge and digital. even magnetic. If you find out the type of signal the WJ uses for a small tone ring. you can get a magnetic posision sensor that sends the same type of signal comming from a larger tone ring.

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/speedandposition/i1-2.asp

just something to think about.