PDA

View Full Version : MSD ignition suggestions...

Swamp boy
06-25-2005, 08:15 AM
OK.. I just bought a New Cam..(Crane Power max 260*) and I am thinking about installing an MSD 6 Off road has anyone done this ?
If so how hard was it to wire and how did it change the engines performance??
Is there be a better box to get ?
Would it be worth while or should I just leave well enough alone? :smt003
Any help would be apreciated...
Danka.

Carl

TrojanMan
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I would highly reccomend atleast the MSD 6AL. That's one of the performance mods you'll really notice. I asked my friend chuck (sleepnzj on JU, he runs a speed shop in NY so he hooks JU people up with crazy discounts) about the offroad version, he reccomended just to get the 6AL, but then again the offroad version is waterproof and more shock resistant.

Swamp boy
06-27-2005, 05:30 AM
I will definatly need the water proof.. MY average trail escapade involves a few feet of water and some healthy mudd slinging... :smt003

TrojanMan
06-27-2005, 02:05 PM
hit me up on MSN, i'll get a price for you.

Kraqa
06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
my limited experience with MSD ignision is that they suck. the box always fries. i dont' want to put trojan man down but i don't think he has had much trail experience with his. 5 out of 9 peopel i know carry a spare. and i'v seen 3 go out on the trail.

my 2 cents. :snakeman:

Swamp boy
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
What kind where they???? I thought the offroad was sealed good..
Are they burning up because they are wet or because they are wired like shit... :mrgreen:

I was actually thinking about getting one and putting it in a waterproof box in the cab of the truck... I have a buddy that has a 6AL and he has had it for 5 years some of that was some pretty harsh stuff.. (Deep mudd and water ) but not as much as the stuff that I go thru.. :smt003

Jim311
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Stock ignition = every parts store carries it

Just something to consider for if/when it fails.

Kraqa
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
i dont' know exactly if they were runnign the offroad but concidering they were on heavily modified vehicles d60's and beadlocks 4's ect i woudl assume they were not playing with the street/strip ignition. There comes some time when stock is really the best option. i plan on leaving my EFI setup stock. and when i rebuild my engin i'm rebuilding it stock for reliability.

dasVettemeister
06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
From my experience with MSD boxes, I can tell you this:

Go with the 6AL, it has every feature you could ever need.

DO NOT EVER MOUNT AN MSD BOX IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!!!! I cannot stress this enough. They were not designed for it. I don't care what they say about the offroad version being watertight, shock resisitant, blah, blah, blah...... They DO NOT like heat. Heat seriously degrades their performance. Wherever you do put it, consider the fact that it needs to be able to dissipate quite a bit of heat. Mount the thing on the inside of the vehicle; under the dash, in the glove box, on the trans tunnel etc..... Only a moron will mount the box in the engine compartment.

You will notice an improvement over the stock ignition system, because the ChryCo ignition system is a joke. Cold start will be a lot easier, mileage will improve to some degree, and high rpm performance will improve significantly. Power output of the stock ignition system is cut nearly in half by, I believe, 3500 rpm. Just my $0.02, what the fuck do I know.....

robselina
06-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I've got a 6A in the waggy (and a TFI upgrade with all MSD parts except for the plugs). Anwyay, had it for about 18 months, rocks only (no mud), mounted on my inner fender. Worked great until Sunday but I'm pretty sure it quit on Sunday evening (just died 1 mile from home, no spark, dizzy and everything that side of the system seems fine so it may be the coil but I doubt it...). Anyway, after buying mine I looked into them and they have a VERY HIGH failure rate. I like the performance but if it's dead, I'm not replacing it and I'm going back to my stock duraspark system...

TrojanMan
06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
my limited experience with MSD ignision is that they suck. the box always fries. i dont' want to put trojan man down but i don't think he has had much trail experience with his. 5 out of 9 peopel i know carry a spare. and i'v seen 3 go out on the trail.

my 2 cents. :snakeman:

I don't have one :axe:

ibanezjeepguy
07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I'll input here, I run The MSD Offroad 6 ignition box connecting to an MSD stock replacement coil powering the regular distributor with MSD wires.
I got the unit mounted on the passenger side fender well under the hood where the LEAST heat is under there... but even so I believe it does get quite hot and even though the unit does have a heatsink on it... it should be somewhere it can get good airflow... I've had some problems w/ the Jeep wanting to like stall out on its own sometimes at idle and at a constant 2000 rpm just cruising.. but you know what, only during the day... its never done me wrong at night... I might have to look into relocating it.
Other than the obvious heat issues.. the unit is good, improves gas milage somewhat due to combusting the mixture better but if I had to do it again.... I probably would've just saved the money and kept it stock ; )
oh well.. the wiring experience was fun! ...NOT
:rock:

Choctaw Bob
07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I've had good luck with them. They are sensitive to heat and will fry in an instant if you hook them up wrong or get a bare wire in a harness. They will help cold starting, gas mileage and are essential if you have really high compression or run nitrous or a blower since these things tend to put out ordinary spark.

MSD is good about rebuilding them free if it is their fault and cheap if it is yours.