PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

yardape52
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I have destoyed, I mean lifted, my family Cherokee and suffered rear driveline issues that never completely resolved even with the addition of a custome driveshaft. I am in the process of purchasing a 96 ZJ. Having done a search on this board I have noted there do not seem to be any driveline vibration issues as the result of a lift. Am I correct on this? TIA

BigDaveZJ
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Newbie questions belong in newbie tech.

Depends on how high you wanna lift it. Any rig will have vibes depending on what you do to it.

5.2Krawler
06-24-2005, 11:39 AM
97-up XJ's have bad vibration problems because of a reverse slip yoke in the rear, (instead of the driveshft slidding into the TC a shaft comes out of the TC that the driveshaft slips over) This results in a shorter driveshaft and is prone to more vibrations than ZJ's or pre 97 XJ's.

deadman
06-24-2005, 11:47 AM
I would say up to 4.5" you will be fine... When you get to 6" you might want to think about a SYE and a hp front axle.

But every ZJ/unibody is different. I know people with 3" that are complaining, and people with 7" who say they don't have any problems.

:toimonst:

UNIMOG69
06-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I have a 96' w/ a 249 and 3.5 inches of lift, a little more in the rear, and have been able to keep me stock lower & upper arms in the rear with no vibes at all. The front however has Full Traction lowers and stock uppers and recently I have developed a grinding in the front diff. I have heard of this happening to others and have seen the need to replace the CV front drive shaft with a u joint shaft in those cases.

Kraqa
06-26-2005, 04:43 PM
97-up XJ's have bad vibration problems because of a reverse slip yoke in the rear, (instead of the driveshft slidding into the TC a shaft comes out of the TC that the driveshaft slips over) This results in a shorter driveshaft and is prone to more vibrations than ZJ's or pre 97 XJ's.

well actually this is wrong.

the drive shaft in both versions of the t-case slip over the t-case output. on one the housing extends to the end of the t-case output and it has a seal on it and the other the housing stops short they put a seal then a metal cap on it and then the shaft sticks out the same length. then you use a ruber boot on it. the length difrence in .5" or less. or at least that is how it is on the many jeep si have swapped t-cases into. my self included.

JeepinHank
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
ZJs are a little bit longer from the t-case to the rear axle...

That's why I alway figured they don't have the vibe problems at comperable lift hights that XJs have.

JMO, I have no real world data to back that up.